mtbr member

RACE OF THE DEAD - A Single-Speeder's Nightmare

One, two Race of the Dead is coming for you...
    Three, four better not ignore...
    Five, six grab your bike of tricks...
    Seven, eight gonna scare you straight...
    Nine, ten never be the same again!

You’ve heard about the rumors, the stench of dead still lingering from the swamps since last year...
    The 2nd Annual Race of the Dead aka ROTD is vastly approaching
    A single-speed bicycle race at NIGHT!!!

When: Evening prior to Halloween, Saturday, Oct. 30th at the Bonnet Carré Spillway (Norco, LA - map here)
    6PM Registration – Start Time Approx. 7PM
    FEES: Race entry $20, Official ROTD t-shirt $10 ($15 w/o race entry)
    WHAT TO BRING: SS bikes, helmet, lights w/batteries, Nyctophobia

Find the official ROTD flyer here to disperse among the living.
    Awards for: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and best costume.
    Coolest Race swag, Post-Race Party complete with trick or treats.

100% of all race proceeds donated to our fellow SSing comrade who was injured in a skiing accident in ’09.

For more info: singlespeedordeath.com or raceofthedead@gmail.com

Single-Speed or Death!

Life is Go0d!
    That sounds like a hella good time... Bring a Single Speed eh? Check!
    The only regrets in life, are the risks you didn't take.

mtbr member
    Mo0se - I guarantee it will be the event to remember if you come down for the ROTD.

I’ve scored a bag of goodies already from various vendors on swag. The event is shaping up above and beyond lat year’s race.

If you come down for the weekend, I’m sure we can sneak in a ride at Brookhaven as well as point you to the French Quarter to some sites. Halloween is a great time in the city. You will not be disappointed!

Life is Go0d!
    Quote Originally Posted by dixie whiskey
    Mo0se - I guarantee it will be the event to remember if you come down for the ROTD.

I’ve scored a bag of goodies already from various vendors on swag. The event is shaping up above and beyond lat year’s race.

If you come down for the weekend, I’m sure we can sneak in a ride at Brookhaven as well as point you to the French Quarter to some sites. Halloween is a great time in the city. You will not be disappointed!
    I reallllllyyy wanna come down for this... marking my calendar and crossing my fingers I can make it happen! I need a small mojo..

MTB NOLA
    moOse, reading your signature, don't let missing this event be one of your regrets.. i'm sending some mojo your way...

mtbr member
    I updated the link for race flyer to add sponsor recognition. Special thanks to all our sponsors, as we now have boxes of goodies from each.

SINGLE SPEED OR DEATH!

MTB NOLA
    Only 35 days left until the RACE OF THE DEAD.. The T-Shirts are in.. If you are not able to race or attend the event, you can still support the cause by purchasing your very own RACE OF THE DEAD t-shirt. The price is $15.00. 100% of the proceeds are donated to the W.D. Dickerson Support Fund.

THANKS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RACE OF THE DEAD - A Single-Speeder's Nightmare-ssodtshirtfrt.jpg  

MTB NOLA
    E-mail raceofthedead@gmail.com for more info on shirt ordering. please include your size.

thanks for your support!

SSOD

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    OK talked to Stu about it and he's down with it. Normally NOMAMBO (local club) has a time trial race on the last Sunday of the month. In October it falls on the day after the Race of the Dead. So I'm changing the start time to dawn (about 6:30 ish) and we are having a Dawn of the Dead dirt time trial. Unlike the infamous night race this will be a run what you got race so gears are allowed. If you race the night before entry fee is waived if not its $5. As always 1st place gets a prize and so does DFL. Its a club fund raiser and social event so come on down and have some fun.

Tim

MTB NOLA
    3 weeks until the RACE OF THE DEAD... here are the trophies that are up for grabs.. COME and get YOURS!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RACE OF THE DEAD - A Single-Speeder's Nightmare-dsc02803.jpg  

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Awesome T and awesome trophies.

I'd buy a T if it they wouldn't be so expensive, the T is priced right, but I'd have to buy a singlespeed to go with it as not to be a poser.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SuPrBuGmAn
    Awesome T and awesome trophies.

I'd buy a T if it they wouldn't be so expensive, the T is priced right, but I'd have to buy a singlespeed to go with it as not to be a poser.
    We won't tell!!!!

mtbr member
    To cover the basis of any general misconceptions on the race: The race format is relaxed, Time-Trial format. No age group or rider classification. Fastest one lap wins, awards given to 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and DFL (as well as best costume).

As for rules, there are only a few: 1) Only single-speed bikes will be allowed, 2) A helmet is mandatory, 3) Lights are recommended (it’s a night time race after all – be my guest if you have superior night time vision), and 4) No MP3 player or headphones will be allowed. The race experience will be both a visual and audible experience. The sounds on the race course will be better than any rockin’ tunes you can supply on your own .

mtbr member
    Who wants race details?

If you haven't heard yet, the race course will be backwards. Start will go along the levee road to drop down the climb into Chu-Chut backwards. Finish will be through Headless Horse backwards at the trailhead.

We're planning to have a bonfire afterwards, weeine roast, and some of us will be camping out (who knows the tighty-whity ghost may appear also). Of course, the Oct. TT "Dawn of the Dead" will be the morning after. Once that's over, we may need some extra hands to break down props in the trail.

I'm finalizing what-to-bring lists, etc. if you are interested in donating to the event, volunteering let Ricky or myself know.

raceofthedead@gmail.com

SINGLE SPEED OR DEATH!

MTB NOLA
    Just about a week away.... This year promises to be very exciting as things are shaping up. The trail is in primo shape, and hopefully the predicted light rain will soften the dust. We scouted the trail last weekend for location of stu's inaugural "Death Tunnel" and other uncanny feats of the dark. It's a guaranteed fun time for all. Hope to see some of you out there!

MTB NOLA
    5 days and counting... getting word that Texas and Mississippi will be represented how about our friends from Arkansas??? mo0se, I'm calling you out... get down here brotha!!

mtbr member
    “Meanwhile behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore..." Survivors of the Dead Apocalypse narrowly escaped the attack of the Spillway creatures of the night. Through the coffin sightings, toxic glow rings, the death tunnel, and a bloody killer clown whose head was used as a soccer ball by an abundance of armadillos, possums, and a raving moss covered man aka Rougarou that roamed throughout the trail.

Well, I called it “Continuing into the night (or until the cops bust the party).” But not to dwell on events of one “Arrogant Pig”, rough estimates as of this morning of pre-race t-shirt sales along with race entry sales yesterday have pushed us over the $1k mark.

With riders coming from as far as Austin and Pensacola, the bloody south was well represented.

2010 ROTD Results:

1 Cody Dimarco 22:15 1st Place
    2 Brent Fay 22:25 2nd Place
    3 Rob Clark 22:30 3rd Place

4 Eric Heyl 23:36
    5 Rhys Kinler 23:48
    6 Caleb Simpson 24:28
    7 Ricky Kennedy 24:32
    8 Ryan Lawson 24:58
    9 Clint Breithoff 25:11
    10 Steve Saladino 25:42
    11 Mark Woolson 26:00 (Adjusted)
    12 Sean Bonlanger 26:02
    13 Robert Rutter 26:10
    14 Fred Smith 26:40
    15 Mike Breaux 26:41
    16 Josh Sullivan 27:51
    17 Ian Lacour 27:58
    18 Joey Calhoun 28:37
    19 Brian Matherne 28:45
    20 Butch Jeansome 29:28
    21 Mike Tibbe 29:43
    22 Krue Brownlee 30:57
    23 Macbeth 35:20 DFL Award
    ** Lynn Gray DNS

** Brian Miller Best Costume (Moss Man/Rougarou)

Thanks to all our 2010 ROTD Sponsors:
    Burro bags, All Hail the Black Market, Planet Bike, Chrome, Urban Velo, Salsa, Swobo, House of Shock, Monster Energy, and Rotolo’s Pizza.

Local Bike Shops that help spread the word: Eastbank Cyclery, GNO Cyclery, Bayou Bicycle, Mike The Bike Guy, Capitol Cyclery, and Mid City Bikes.

NOMAMBO and all race prep/registration/timing/photography volunteers.

Special thanks to Ricky & Tim for putting up with all my crap since the Spring in organizing this event. And most of all thanks to the racers, supporters, and fans – this is all in great fun and 100% FOR DAN!!!

See you next year,

Stu
    Last edited by dixie whiskey; 10-31-2010 at 09:20 AM.

What could go wrong ...
    click HERE for the Pics from the race Saturday night and I dont know if anyone survived the night or they couldnt make bail in time for the race Sunday morning so we filled the hole in the race schedule with another JRB Invitational event ... it was 2 laps with a mass start and the first one back won

Sunday Race Pic
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Zoke2; 11-01-2010 at 04:54 PM.
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

Life is Go0d!
    “Meanwhile behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore..." Survivors of the Dead Apocalypse narrowly escaped the attack of the Spillway creatures of the night. Through the coffin sightings, toxic glow rings, the death tunnel, and a bloody killer clown whose head was used as a soccer ball by an abundance of armadillos, possums, and a raving moss covered man aka Rougarou that roamed throughout the trail.

Well, I called it “Continuing into the night (or until the cops bust the party).” But not to dwell on events of one “Arrogant Pig”, rough estimates as of this morning of pre-race t-shirt sales along with race entry sales yesterday have pushed us over the $1k mark.

With riders coming from as far as Austin and Pensacola, the bloody south was well represented.

2010 ROTD Results:

1 Cody Dimarco 22:15 1st Place
    2 Brent Fay 22:25 2nd Place
    3 Rob Clark 22:30 3rd Place

4 Eric Heyl 23:36
    5 Rhys Kinler 23:48
    6 Caleb Simpson 24:28
    7 Ricky Kennedy 24:32
    8 Ryan Lawson 24:58
    9 Clint Breithoff 25:11
    10 Steve Saladino 25:42
    11 Mark Woolson 26:00 (Adjusted)
    12 Sean Bonlanger 26:02
    13 Robert Rutter 26:10
    14 Fred Smith 26:40
    15 Mike Breaux 26:41
    16 Josh Sullivan 27:51
    17 Ian Lacour 27:58
    18 Joey Calhoun 28:37
    19 Brian Matherne 28:45
    20 Butch Jeansome 29:28
    21 Mike Tibbe 29:43
    22 Krue Brownlee 30:57
    23 Macbeth 35:20 DFL Award
    ** Lynn Gray DNS

** Brian Miller Best Costume (Moss Man/Rougarou)

Thanks to all our 2010 ROTD Sponsors:
    Burro bags, All Hail the Black Market, Planet Bike, Chrome, Urban Velo, Salsa, Swobo, House of Shock, Monster Energy, and Rotolo’s Pizza.

Local Bike Shops that help spread the word: Eastbank Cyclery, GNO Cyclery, Bayou Bicycle, Mike The Bike Guy, Capitol Cyclery, and Mid City Bikes.

NOMAMBO and all race prep/registration/timing/photography volunteers.

Special thanks to Ricky & Tim for putting up with all my crap since the Spring in organizing this event. And most of all thanks to the racers, supporters, and fans – this is all in great fun and 100% FOR DAN!!!

See you next year,

Stu
    I hate that I missed this... still need to get a shirt..an Xtra Lardass sizes left? I mean XL?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mo0se
    I hate that I missed this... still need to get a shirt..an Xtra Lardass sizes left? I mean XL?
    mo0se - here's the photos incase you missed Zoke's link above: http://dmsdezignzphotography.shutterfly.com/659

I am running dry on shirts right now with the last batch geting shipped tomorrow. I might make another order if I get enough request (so far I have about 3 or 4). I do have some leftovers from last year's race if you want one of those. I'll make you a deal, email me at raceofthedead@gmail.com

There's always next year, and I promise it will be even bigger & better.
    Last edited by dixie whiskey; 11-01-2010 at 05:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoke2
    Here are the Pics from the race Saturday night and I dont know if anyone survived the night or they couldnt make bail in time for the race Sunday morning so we filled the hole in the race schedule with another JRB Invitational event ... it was 2 laps with a mass start and the first one back won
    Good stuff, you are too funny.

Life is Go0d!
    mo0se - here's the photos incase you missed Zoke's link above: http://dmsdezignzphotography.shutterfly.com/659

I am running dry on shirts right now with the last batch geting shipped tomorrow. I might make another order if I get enough request (so far I have about 3 or 4). I do have some leftovers from last year's race if you want one of those. I'll make you a deal, email me at raceofthedead@gmail.com

There's always next year, and I promise it will be even bigger & better.
    You've got mail!