Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    govt kontrakt projkt mgr

Ok this year I'm taking Ark biking vac--leaving Saturday!

Ok had planned to do this last year and didn't follow through. This year I am taking a week vacation biking in Arkansas. Reservations at area hotels are made, vacation is approved and I'll be heading out of Fort Hood area early Saturday, Bentonville bound.

Plans: Sunday 23d: Ride 1st part or two of Slaughter Pen, look around Crystal Bridges area.

Tuesday 25th: Ride Cedar Glades Park in Hot Springs

Wed 26th: Hot Springs Lakes Area...Ride Lovit segments Denby BAy to Joplin

Friday 28th: Ride Camp Robinson :SOMEONE PLEASE SUGGEST A NICE 10 to 15 MILE LOOP FOR ME ! NOT TOO TECHNICAL. THANKS IN ADVANCE

Sat 29th: Road Ride event--Little Rock area : Big Dam Bridge 100 (likely just do 50 miler).

Looking forward to this...gear bags packed !Bikes almost ready, points loaded in NuVi. Haven't been back to Hot Springs but once in early 90s I think since leaving there in 78. Gunna be fun

mtbr member
    A great list of rides! As far as camp, make sure you are prepared to buy a sportsman pass to get in ($25). If you change your mind about camp, spend an extra day in the Hot Springs area and do the Womble.
    Visit us here: ArkansasOutside.com

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Thanks--yes I've read the artixccle and update on where and who to see to get the pass. You have a suggested loop at Camp Ribinson that would say take up the better part of a morning to ride ?

Quote Originally Posted by ArkansasOutside View Post
    A great list of rides! As far as camp, make sure you are prepared to buy a sportsman pass to get in ($25). If you change your mind about camp, spend an extra day in the Hot Springs area and do the Womble.

mtbr member
    Okay,

Use Yucca to get in and take Center Road to Port-a-Potty then use Outerloop to get over to Airport Loop then take 10 Bridges back out. If you're up for more do 5 mile.
    Map : Central Arkansas Recreational Pedalers - Maps and Trails

Quote Originally Posted by ArmySlowRdr View Post
    Thanks--yes I've read the artixccle and update on where and who to see to get the pass. You have a suggested loop at Camp Ribinson that would say take up the better part of a morning to ride ?
    Visit us here: ArkansasOutside.com

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Thanks ! Appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by ArkansasOutside View Post
    Okay,

Use Yucca to get in and take Center Road to Port-a-Potty then use Outerloop to get over to Airport Loop then take 10 Bridges back out. If you're up for more do 5 mile.
    Map : Central Arkansas Recreational Pedalers - Maps and Trails

mtbr member
    camp is great but is there a reason you arent doing the womble?

unfortunately i have a broken wrist or i'd offer to show you around camp robinson. i'd strongly recommend finding someone to ride with, it can be confusing and not everything is well signed. you might try emailing Central Arkansas Recreational Pedalers - Camp Robinson Mt Biking News here to see if theres someone that can show you around. couple of the guys are military too.

lastly, i think the lovit trail is great but womble is better. if you are going to drive all that way then you should probably do the womble. just my 2 cents tho. they are all great trails.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr

yes...

haha...because I am fat, slow, out of shape. I was riding a lot this past winter and spring and even lost 15 pounds--then I broke my ankle on Lake Bryan trails here near Texas A&M and was off bike for 6 weeks and gained the weight back and more.

so just not in shape for womble. my main ride will be 50 miles on the new road bike during big dam bridge 100 Saturday 29th in Littlerock. Dont want to be "finished" before then.

Hope you heal quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by scoutcat View Post
    camp is great but is there a reason you arent doing the womble?

unfortunately i have a broken wrist or i'd offer to show you around camp robinson. i'd strongly recommend finding someone to ride with, it can be confusing and not everything is well signed. you might try emailing Central Arkansas Recreational Pedalers - Camp Robinson Mt Biking News here to see if theres someone that can show you around. couple of the guys are military too.

lastly, i think the lovit trail is great but womble is better. if you are going to drive all that way then you should probably do the womble. just my 2 cents tho. they are all great trails.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Don't let the Womble scare you. You can do it regardless of your fitness. Just put in what you want and do an out and back from the 27 fish camp. Cross the HWY and start climbing. Take your time and take it easy and when you're feeling beat, turn around and smile the whole way back. That section alone is worth doing, if you're there.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Of our local stuff (Rocky Hill, Warda, Barton Creek, City Park, Comfort, etc.), what style do you most like riding? That will help me to recommend something you'd like in Arkansas. Everything from smooth and flowy to hike-a-bike up there in that area. Each with their own virtues.

mtbr member
    i agree with txclimber, do what you can of the womble. it doesnt require being super fit and its a superior experience to the vista trail.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Quote Originally Posted by txclimber View Post
    Of our local stuff (Rocky Hill, Warda, Barton Creek, City Park, Comfort, etc.), what style do you most like riding? That will help me to recommend something you'd like in Arkansas. Everything from smooth and flowy to hike-a-bike up there in that area. Each with their own virtues.
    Out of those mentioned Rocky Hill Ranch is best with Comfort second best.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    The S/E end of the womble is similar to that style. Shorter climbs, smoother and less technical trail. There is an easy access trailhead on that end too.

Aside from the womble, the trails around Mt. Magazine are similar to Comfort, without all of the sun exposure.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    I may drive around to the Fishing Village area after I explore LOVIT. Depending on how I feel may even hop on it for several miles but a long excursion will wait for another trip. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by txclimber View Post
    The S/E end of the womble is similar to that style. Shorter climbs, smoother and less technical trail. There is an easy access trailhead on that end too.

Aside from the womble, the trails around Mt. Magazine are similar to Comfort, without all of the sun exposure.

mtbr member
    theres not really anywhere to drive around. you can park at fishing village or across the road nearer the trail. not to beat a dead horse but if you are going to drive all this way you should do the womble and then see if you want to do the LOViT. if you are worried about fitness then get someone to shuttle you to the HWY 298 crossing and ride downhill to the fishing village. trust me and the other posters here, this is a much better ride than the LOViT. if you were to get dropped off at HWY 298 the last couple miles into the fishing village are truly great, some of the finest trail in the country. we're talking smooth bench cut singletrack with views and exposure. its the reason to come ride that area, not the LOViT.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    hmmmm. Yes I am looking at the map I can have the wife drop me off at one TH and meet me at the other. What no more than 3 hours max to get from TH to TH ?

theres not really anywhere to drive around. you can park at fishing village or across the road nearer the trail. not to beat a dead horse but if you are going to drive all this way you should do the womble and then see if you want to do the LOViT. if you are worried about fitness then get someone to shuttle you to the HWY 298 crossing and ride downhill to the fishing village. trust me and the other posters here, this is a much better ride than the LOViT. if you were to get dropped off at HWY 298 the last couple miles into the fishing village are truly great, some of the finest trail in the country. we're talking smooth bench cut singletrack with views and exposure. its the reason to come ride that area, not the LOViT.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

AR ride

Yes, just rode the Womble trail on Monday & Tuesday. It was great. The area around HWY 298 is great. We did Fulton Branch to HWY and back. It was not too bad, but it would be easier to do the down hill section to the HWY. Wherever you ride, happy riding.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I will be riding the womble on friday - we will do the shuttle to the far west end - north fork lake i think - and ride back to the fishing village.

Any suggestions for a ride on saturday? and maybe a shorter one on sunday? we are on the beginner end of the spectrum for mountain biking - old guys weekend.

mtbr member
    hmmmm. Yes I am looking at the map I can have the wife drop me off at one TH and meet me at the other. What no more than 3 hours max to get from TH to TH ?
    2-3h. def not more than 3. you will be happy with that choice. the last few miles into the FV are super fun, really really fun.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by spranger View Post
    I will be riding the womble on friday - we will do the shuttle to the far west end - north fork lake i think - and ride back to the fishing village.

Any suggestions for a ride on saturday? and maybe a shorter one on sunday? we are on the beginner end of the spectrum for mountain biking - old guys weekend.
    if you are on the beginner end then i would not recommend leaving from North Fork Lake. thats a bit of a climb... i'd choose a trail crossing somewhere after climbing out of NFL. if you arent in decent shape then doing lake to lake will kick your ass. i dont have a map in front of me but if you cut off the first 3-4 miles from NFL it'll save you a thousand calories.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Yup I saw a vid that MTBARK posted and he posed some vids on LovIt too and Womble does look more exciting. I think I'll check em both out ! Thanks for helping to persuade me !

2-3h. def not more than 3. you will be happy with that choice. the last few miles into the FV are super fun, really really fun.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I would not recommend starting at the fishing village and heading west for an out and back. I did this one time and it is a rough climb as soon as you take off from the parking lot. The climb up the backside when heading eat is much better grade. It is awesome too because of being cut into the side of mountain. I will agree with another poster that the first big climb out of North Fork Lake is the worst part. It is a great ride, but once you get past the peak of the climb it get A LOT better. I have been only been on the Womble from North Fork Lake to fishing village. It is a great ride. Not near as technical as Syllamo, so you can ride farther and faster; but it still very enjoyable. The Lovit trail is nice, but a lot of small steep hills. I would rather ride the Womble if I was in the area only for a few days. Does your wife ride? My wife's favorite trail is Cedar Glades just outside Hot Springs.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Just home now. I stuck exactly to my ORIGINAL plan and all went swimmingly well. Camp Robinson does have some pesty flies and spiders though--haha.

LoViT was a blast..I loved the short steep climbs and descents. The black trail on Cedar Glades was MUCH fun...and the whole thing is a gem.

The 50 mile road bike event in Littlerock--Big Dam Bridge--yesterday morning was also lots of fun and in all I am pleased with the new Orbea Orca BLT road bike.

The Outback--well let's just say it's a nice car..but the 13 model fit and finish is nowhere close to as good as on the 02.

As far as the Womble......I did go to each of the two trail heads and hiked a 1uarter to half mile in each direction. Yup that climb up from fishing village even walking is nasty and I particularly wouldn't even care to ride down it. Maybe one year I'll check it out on the bike..but I was having too much fun on the swoopy mainly buff stuff to care much--and I needed to save leg power for the road bike event..

Fun trip for sure.

edit--oh I forgot to mention Slaughter Pen---first 2 phases really nice---the 3d was ok just not as fun as the 1st two. Having parked at Compton Gardens, I did them in reverse--phase 3, phase 2, phase 1. Razorback Ridge and something or another chutes (I forget nasme) were my favorite segments there and they were both phase 2 segments..

Quote Originally Posted by ArTech View Post
    I would not recommend starting at the fishing village and heading west for an out and back. I did this one time and it is a rough climb as soon as you take off from the parking lot. The climb up the backside when heading eat is much better grade. It is awesome too because of being cut into the side of mountain. I will agree with another poster that the first big climb out of North Fork Lake is the worst part. It is a great ride, but once you get past the peak of the climb it get A LOT better. I have been only been on the Womble from North Fork Lake to fishing village. It is a great ride. Not near as technical as Syllamo, so you can ride farther and faster; but it still very enjoyable. The Lovit trail is nice, but a lot of small steep hills. I would rather ride the Womble if I was in the area only for a few days. Does your wife ride? My wife's favorite trail is Cedar Glades just outside Hot Springs.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Part 2 is planned for May 2 through 6. It will be of shorter duration.

Arrive 2 May and in the afternoon take the roadie and do a lap or two of the Arkansas River Trail starting at the NLR side of the Big Dam Bridge (Cook's Landing) and proceed CCW.

May 3d---MTB Burns Park--other Littlerock/NLR area trail time permitting.
    May 3--Fleetwood Mac concert--NLR Verizon Arena

May 4---Drive to Hotsprings and do Cedar Glades again in the PM

May 5---Do the LOvit sections that I didnt do last time (the 2 strenuous sections)

May 6---If fuel left in the tank Womble section I scouted out a little last time but did not do.

May 7--drive back to the CENTEX

mtbr member

Arrive 2 May and in the afternoon take the roadie and do a lap or two of the Arkansas River Trail starting at the NLR side of the Big Dam Bridge (Cook's Landing) and proceed CCW.

May 5---Do the LOvit sections that I didnt do last time (the 2 strenuous sections)

May 6---If fuel left in the tank Womble section I scouted out a little last time but did not do.

why do you insist on avoiding the womble. its the best trail in the state. your trip should be to ride the womble then do the others if you feel like it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Mark H. and I will be heading up to AR leaving Austin May 1 and returning May 9. We should sync up and ride together while up there.

Any locals want to show Mark and I some trails. We do want to do the Womble and any other trails that offer lots of challenge and scenery.

Charlie

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast