mtbr member
    Jul 2012

New Rider Intro and Questions

Hey Everybody, I am new to the forums and new to mountain biking. I am a college student at Pittsburg State University, studying International Business. I am originally from the Kansas City, Missouri area. I play soccer, work on cars, and do what I can to save the earth. For the past 3 years (my time in college) I have rode my bike everywhere in town. With the lack of singletrack trails besides the 2 that everyone uses theres no where to just go ride.

I have been going to the few trails in the area to hone in on my skills (which arent great yet) but I just purchased a 2012 Specialized Hardrock Sport disc 29er and I need to get use to her.

While riding these trails I have met a lot of cool genuine people, whom have been talking about riding the Ozark Highland Trail in Arkansas, Or at least part of it.

Has anyone ridden on this trail, or know about this trail? This will be all of our first bikepacking trip, and we are planning on starting on a friday afternoon and riding till sunday afternoon (approx. 60 miles). Camping, fishing, and riding anything we can. Feel free to join, the more the merrier!

If you don't know anything still say hello and maybe one day we can get together and ride. I'm all about meeting new people and experiencing new things!

Hope to hear from some of you "midsoutherners"

mtbr member
    lots of great trails in arkansas but i dont know the highland trail. how far are you from Syllamo? its in north central ark and is an IMBA epic trail. great stuff in central arkansas too: womble, cedar glades, iron mountain, camp robinson... plan a trip here sometime. in 4 days you could ride a lot of great trail.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    As far as I know the OHT is closed to bikes in AR.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Indeed, the OHT is a great hiking trail but closed to mtn bikes.

brian
    little rock

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    damn that sucks, I will have to plan another bikepacking trip then.

mtbr member
    check out the Ouachita Trail

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by scoutcat View Post
    check out the Ouachita Trail
    Can I park my car at the trail head for the weekend and just go off bikepacking at the trail? Do you know of any good trail heads for an intermediate ride, Approxamitely 50 miles?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I would not reccommend the OT for bikepacking. It was built as a hiking trail & is not very bike freindly. Although people do ride portions of it, it will probably not be very easy loaded down with gear.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by spirit2bike View Post
    I would not reccommend the OT for bikepacking. It was built as a hiking trail & is not very bike freindly. Although people do ride portions of it, it will probably not be very easy loaded down with gear.
    Where would you recommend? Somewhere we can park our car and it has to loop around back to it. 50-75 miles preferably