mtbr member
    Feb 2012

new guy in hattiesburg

Raced motorcycles 18 years and now I'm beat up. Can't really ride like I use to and I can't run to stay in shape cause of the injuries. I can ride a bike though. Looking to start riding the trails by jackson station and bethal and wherever else. Looking to spend around 600 what's a good choice for the area an best place to buy. Thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Talk to Mike Spurlock at Cyclist Choice in Gulfport. A decent hardtail is all you need around here. Post up on msmtb.org

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    in that price point, you really should look at a hard tail, as mentioned, and more specifically a hard tail. if you're 5'8" or taller, look into a 29er (29" wheels). not sure of the h'burg selection these days - i'm in atlanta but am originally from biloxi - but some names to look into for great price points: redline, niner, vassago, trek, giant, specialized.

if you're serious about getting into mtnbiking, try to demo as many bikes as possible before you throw down the cash. even if you have to make a long drive, demoing as many different bikes as possible is highly recommended. start at your LBS (local bike shop), obviously, but also look to Mobile, New Orleans, and Jackson.

good luck, bro.
    ride fast...take chances...

I'm Slow
    On March 3, Trek is doing a Demo out at Bethal. Might give you some really good ideas if you can wait that long.

I would say you want a hardtail for your price range.
    RideSAMBA.com Mountain Biking in South Alabama.