mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Monticello area riding?

So it is looking like I'm packing up and moving from singletrack heaven (Flagstaff, AZ) out to Monticello, AR this fall for grad school. Does anybody have experience with any riding in this area? Also, what is the racing scene like in Arkansas? I have recently gotten into 12 and 24 hour races and I want more! Thanks in advance and hope to see some of you on the trails this fall!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    poor sucker it's the worst area of the state for mtb.
    however the cross country and endurance scene is good. check www.ambcs.com for the picture.

mtbr member
    Todd, don't be so harsh on that part of the state. The trails at Cane Creek State Park (15+ miles) near Star City are fair trails and a fun workout (except for the levee which is way more work than you'd expect but still an excellent workout) plus the bridges are really cool. That's just a few minutes down the road from you. If you're willing to drive just a bit over an hour north you get all the great riding in the Little Rock area.
    Visit us here: ArkansasOutside.com

mtbr member
    I spent the first 25yrs of my life right around that area. Not really a whole lot to do except maybe get into trouble. The potential is there for some good trails but unfortunately very very very few people around there even know that mtb'ing exists. Aside from dirt farm roads you won't find much in the way of offroad riding. Get yourself a 4-wheeler, a bass boat and hunting rifle and you'll fit right in!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I know this is really late but I too am staying in Monticello There are not really many options. I just got a mtb myself and would like someone to ride with. There are some trails behind the school. The forestry classes keep them groomed they are pretty short. Probably a mile or 2 long. Would love to show them to you.

mtbr member
    I'm telling you, Cane Creek State Park in Star City has an awesome trail. Over 15 miles of riding.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Thanks arkansas, I will check it out as soon as all this upcoming rain passes. Just wish there were more riders from my area of the state. At least little rock isn't to far and I have to drill at camp robinson once a month anyway.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DunWeezy View Post
    Thanks arkansas, I will check it out as soon as all this upcoming rain passes. Just wish there were more riders from my area of the state. At least little rock isn't to far and I have to drill at camp robinson once a month anyway.
    unit?
    me: 94th CSH

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    185th air assault. part of the triple seven

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I'm just the opposite. I live in Benton and work on Camp Rob, I even keep my bike on base most of the time. But for drill I have to go down to your neck of the woods, Warren. I was thinking of taking my bike down there one weekend and checking out Cane Creek if I have the time.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    that sounds sweet we may have to go check it out. Prolly will have to wait till spring though. I did rsp at warren for a year. where do you work at robinson?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    that sounds sweet we may have to go check it out. Prolly will have to wait till spring though. I did rsp at warren for a year. where do you work at robinson?
    I work part time as a civilian for the ISU unit. Basically roads and grounds. I do that two or three days a week when I'm off from my full time job.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ArkansasOutside View Post
    I'm telling you, Cane Creek State Park in Star City has an awesome trail. Over 15 miles of riding.
    So I took your advice today. Went to check it out. It was great! Had a blast. It was really tricky on some of the steep parts with all the leaves especially for a beginner. Lol. Went to the suspension bridge and did the short loop. It was great! Looking forward to doing the big loop when I get time. Thanks for the advice!
    Attached Images Attached Images      

mtbr member
    Glad you enjoyed it. A little piece of heaven.

Prof.
    Jan 2012
    Hey guys. I just joined the forum. I am a biology prof at UAM and I'm mostly a roadie but I ride Cane Creek once in a while when I have time to get up that way. Good trails. I usually ride 6 miles out and 6 back to stay away from the levee. Otherwise it is like other have said, there aren''t many options in this part of the state. If you have a road bike I can put you on some good routes to keep you cycling between the trips to find trails.