Chumpstomper

Looking for Slaughterpen/Womble/Syllamo beta

Hey all,

A group of 3 are coming down from Minneapolis over the St Patrick's Day weekend to ride away the winter blues. Tentative itinerary is as follows:

3/16 - Slaughterpen
    3/17 - Womble
    3/18-19 - Syllamo/??

We think we'll stay at Fishing Village Friday, March 16 and have Ron shuttle us the next morning. After riding Womble, we'll drive to Mt View Saturday afternoon.

We are looking for beta on lodging, eating, riding, cool Ozarks stuff to do, etc. Bonus points if you want to ride with us. Bonus bonus points if we can ride with the local trail advocacy groups as 2 of us are board members of Minnesota Off-Road Cyclists.

PM me and we'll exchange contact info.

Cheers,
    Mark

Chumpstomper

please?

Bumpity bump

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I cant be much help yet because i havent rode any of these trails yet lol but we are headed to slaughter pen to ride tomorrow so ill report back to you with some details!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I'm hitting blowing springs and devils den tomorrow. If you're in bentonville for lunch, you should stop at phat tire and say hi to the guys at the shop, then head over to Station Cafe for a burger. Both are on the square and easy to find.

If you plan to ride slaughter pen, you should make a quick stop at blowing springs. It's incredible.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Here is blowing springs located at? Never heard of it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

View Larger Map

Point A is Slaughter Pen and point B is Blowing Springs. A must ride if you are going to be around Slaughter Pen anyway.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Blanchard Springs or Gunnar Pool are great campgrouds close to Syllamo trail system. I rank the Syllamo trails in this order Yellow, Green, Red, and the other two are tied. They are all great and offer superb riding that's just the order I would ride them.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    You might be spreading yourselves too thin trying to cover those three destinations in one trip.

If you go to Syllamo and plan on camping, Blanchard Springs campground would be the best bet. You can ride from your campsite to the trails (big uphill)

I'd lean towards the Womble trail and Lake Ouachita Vista Trail though. Probably about 60 miles of singletrack there...more than enough for a weekend of riding. I've stayed here before. Five minute bike ride to Womble:

Rocky Shoals Resort

Chumpstomper
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothar View Post
    You might be spreading yourselves too thin trying to cover those three destinations in one trip.

If you go to Syllamo and plan on camping, Blanchard Springs campground would be the best bet. You can ride from your campsite to the trails (big uphill)
    Lothar

Thanks for the info. Over the weekend I decided that trying to hit all 3 areas was indeed too aggressive a plan. We can save Womble for a fall visit, or next spring. Our updated itinerary looks like:

Day 1 - Slaughterpen and vcinity
    Day 2 - Lake Leatherwood and vicinity
    Days 3 and 3.5 - Syllamo

We want to have time to explore the area. We won't camp (too old and ornery) so lookign for hotel recs - hot tub is a must. And cool stuff to do in Bentonville, Eureka Springs and Mountain View.

Mark

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Mark,

If you see a Macadoodles liquor store, stock up. Some of those backwoods liquor stores are pretty sketchy.

Tommy's Famous Pizza in Mountain View make the best ribs, and the owner is a real character.

The cave tour in Blanchard Springs was actually pretty cool.

We stayed at the Best Western in Mountain View a few nights when our tents got flooded out. It was pretty nice, don't remember whether they had a pool or hot tub.

Have a good trip!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    The Basin Hotel in Eureka is right on the main street, good for walking to restaurants/bars. The Crescent is a little nicer, both are within riding distance of Lake Leatherwood.

Keep an eye on the weather before you ride Leatherwood, most of the lower trails don't drain well. Hobbs State Park is a great trail and drains fast. About 20 miles of singletrack

mtbr member
    When you go to Syllamo you might want to get a cabin instead of a hotel, the advantages are that you can ride to the trails instead of having to pack everything up and drive. Look up Sylamore Lodges I know they have a bunch of properties close to Green Mountain Rd (That is the fire road that bisects most of the trails at Syllamo)
    Hereís a Google Earth map showing the trails and where a lot of the cabins are located, most of them are behind Anglerís Restaurant. Anglers also has rooms as does Jackís which is right at Green Mountain Rd and Highway 5
    Sounds like a fun trip