Pedal through the Pain
    May 2008

"The LOG" Eulogy:

I would like to pay my condolences and say goodbye to "The LOG" at Craighead Forest Park. You were truly a menace, a challenge, an ego booster, an ego buster, a place to rest, a place to fly. I always looked forward to seeing you during the day, but at the same time, my pulse would race at the thought of you ahead on the trail. I am going to miss you and want to thank you for allowing me to build my skills at the expense of your bark.

You see, when I first started mountain biking, Craighead Forest Park became my home trail as it is only 1 mile away. There were many parts of the trail that I was unable to ride due to my lack of skills. I did what was best for me and my bike and walked those parts. I remember coming around a corner and down a straight section and saw what I deemed to be a huge tree laying almost diagonal acoss the trail. I stopped to observe and to my surprise, there were chainring marks across the top of this thing. I thought "No freakin' way". I soon started calling it simply "the LOG". It was weird, because when I would ask other riders about "the LOG", they always knew which one I was talking about. It was the one right before this rooty, short, steep uphill wall (I couldn't believe anyone could do that either). Many times I have walked over this thing. I have witnessed others crash, I have crashed. I have seen branches and smaller logs piled up next to it in an attempt to help make a successful crossing. To help my cause, I bought a chainguard and some kneepads.

As the years have passed, I have been able to clear "the LOG" more times than not and every time I would ride the trail and come to that section, my heart would pound and my nerves would be tested. "the LOG" was often a good conversation piece at the trailhead. One could almost guage the skill level of another rider based on whether they could clear "the LOG".

To my disbelief, last week, somebody took a saw and cut away the "the LOG". I was very saddened by this. It was a great challenge that provided me with some great memories, some great pain, and some great elation.

I should have seen it coming. The trails are getting alot more use these days and lately, alot of the other smaller trees that have layed across the trail for a couple of years have been being moved as well. It appears that I will soon no longer need my bunny hopping skills. Sad, just sad. Thank you LOG, I will miss you.

addict
    Apr 2004
    I didn't know "LOG", but I feel your pain. I think we will all miss "LOG". I going to go wrench on my bike and have a beer. "LOG"would have wanted this. I hate it when people "fix" the trail.
    later, j
    I am thread-killer. I post, your thread die. ha ha ha

mtbr member
    I was exploring the trail last fall when I discovered "the log". I took me by surprise and I almost just picked my bike up and walked over it, but decided to go for it. So I turned around went back up the hill to get some speed up and launched myself over it, landed on upright and kept on riding. That was the best feeling of accomplishment in my year or so of riding out there. Maybe we should go make "the log 2.0", the trail just won't be right without it.

On a different note, has anyone ever rode the trail the other way and jumped off the rooty, short, steep uphill wall? I plan on doing that before the summer is up and then moving on to the "10 foot drop".

dmars3571, if you're looking for someone to ride with give me a shout.