mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Lincoln Parish Park, Ruston SS gearing Q?

Im going to ride Lincoln Parish Park in Ruston LA. Im visiting from houston and ride a 32:17 ratio on a 29er rigid single speed. What do the Locals suggest for a gear ratio for this trail. Im more of a masher than a spinner. Thanks in advance guys.

mtbr member
    While LPP isn't as flat as most trails in the Houston area, if you can ride that gear anywhere between Houston and San Antonio, you can ride it at LPP. But, take an 18 w/ you just in case the 32x17 is too tall. You can make it back to your vehicle pretty easily from almost anywhere on the trail, so if it won't work, just go change it and go back out to get your grin on.

bikerpilot
    Definitely depends on your skill/fitness level but yeah 32:17 is totally doable. That's the gear I use there in races, hard but fast. If you're fit and a good rider, and a masher, should be fine. Of course, if 32:17 is your normal gear for MP and anthills it may be too hard at LPP. I usually run a 32:15 around here at those trails. If you've ever been to Huntsville that'd be a good comparison for what gear to use at Ruston.
    BMC FS01 29 X0
    Redline Monocog 29
    Jamis Supernova
    Rocky Mtn Flow DJ

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I run 32:17 at Huntsville with no problem. I did LPP with the 32:17 and was cashed out by the end of the ride. I did the easy 4 mile trail as a warm up and then the main 10 mile loop. I did ride Chicot State park the day before so I didnt have fresh legs. LPP has steeper climbs while huntsville has longer sany hills. LPP is a really fun trail. I wish it wasnt so far away. I think 32:18 would have been a better choice for me but 32:17 is doable.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Good info. I've run 33/17 on my 9r at H'ville. I was done at the end of 2 laps. Sounds like anything shorter would be okay for me at Ruston.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    33/17 will be fine at LPP. the key to LPP climbs on a SS is carry a ton of speed down the hills. i typically coast up every climb except the ones that are just long drawn out. i am far from a strong rider but LPP isnt exactly a big climbing trail.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    That's fine. I'll shorter cogs just in case