mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Lake Fort Smith trail?

Anyone know anything about the trail that goes east from Lake Fort Smith all the way to just south of Brashears and ends around Co. Rd. 81? It's labeled as Ozark Highlands trail which is or was supposed to be hikers only so I don't know if the restrictions have changed or what. It looks like a good ride with not many people around.

You can see it by going to Google maps and on the right side of the map where you choose "Map" or "Satellite" click the pull down menu and turn on the "Bicycle" option. This makes all marked bike paths show up in bright green.

Anyone ridden this or know anything about it?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    You are right. That is a section of the Ozark Highlands Trail and as such is restricted to foot traffic only. It would be great if that were bike-able though.

mtbr member
    I believe there are plans to build mountain bike trails at that park. I'll let you know when I hear more.
    Visit us here: ArkansasOutside.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Anyone know why it's marked on google maps as a bikes allowed trail?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jwillsaylor View Post
    Anyone know why it's marked on google maps as a bikes allowed trail?
    I was curious about why it's marked on Google Maps as a bike path as well. TheLake Fort Smith website only shows hiking symbols on the trail links so my guess would be no bikes. If anyone has an update on this trail, I would appreciate it.

mtbr member
    Bikes are not allowed on the Ozark Highland Trail. Not sure why Google maps says that but I know a dude at the state parks who will look into getting that fixed. They do have plans to build some mountain bike trails in the park itself (7-10 miles) but they have to wait on Environmental Impact Statements since most of the trail is on the USDA Forest Service land just outside the park.

mtbr member
    Thanks, I also e-mailed Arkansas State Parks for info on this trail and hopefully they will get the Google bicycle map removed until when/if the allow bikes. I'd hate for anyone to go riding on these trails based just on Google's trails.

mtbr member
    I got this reply from them: "We do not at this time have mountain bike trails. They are going to be making a mountain bike trail here at the park but have not started on it yet but are going to in the next few months. Check back later in the summer to see how far they have completed the trail."

mtbr member
    They ware waiting on an EIS with the Forest Service. They are going to start on land that they have as part of a lease from the City of Fort Smith (they own most of the land around the lake and lease the park property) Once the Forest Service gives the go ahead much more trail will be built on their land. - I've got inside connections at the park system.