Thread: Hurt me, Ozarks

arbiter
    Aug 2005

Hurt me, Ozarks

Hello there.

A couple of friends and I were thinking of coming from Pisgah, NC for some different riding in the Ozarks.

Do ya'll have any wilderness-type riding? Anything super technical? Long fast ridges?

From the little amount of research I've done it seems like now isn't the best time to come on over due to ticks, briars, and more ticks. Would it be a suicide mission to come there in 2 weeks?

Thanks for any info you might have.
    I-9 drone, unauthorized jerk.

Life is Go0d!
    Here are a few from an Arkansas Local

http://www.ouachitaadventures.com/Tr...le/womble.html

http://www.ouachitaadventures.com/Tr.../ouachita.html

And a link to my personal Favorite:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7ruBITi8bQ

Lake Leatherwood in Eureka Springs is the bomb.. maybe living so close has something to do with it.. but still... it's worth the visit. There are more than 20 miles of riding available here, also cabins for rent, or cheap tent camping.

http://www.thedirtbum.com/2010/03/ar...e-leatherwood/
    The only regrets in life, are the risks you didn't take.

Life is Go0d!
    Ticks are ticks.. nothing different than what you have in Pisgah... I live here and spray 40% Deet around my ankles and a little on my arms.. that's it. Briars and such are not bad right now, it just takes a lot of work to keep all the trails groomed well. I see no reason not to come and sample the "Natural State"

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I disagree completely. Stay in Pisgah until at least the end of Sept. All the big trails get really grown up. We have epic rides but fall thru spring is when we take advantage of them. We don't even start cleaning stuff up till Sept. I am hoping to come back out to NC next week to escape the heat etc here.

Dirty South Underdog
    The Syllamo trails sound like what you're looking for, but, yeah, they're overgrown right now. Like this:

Oh yeah- and I almost left out the seed ticks. I'd soaked my tall socks in deet-heavy OFF, and they all bit me...

Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

Life is Go0d!
    I guess that's what I get for assuming... But then again I have not been to the womble or Ouchita yet this year... Why would the Epic trails be ignored as far as maintenance??? We maintain Slaughter Pen every month.. Sometimes twice. Lake Leatherwood is always in good shape, every time I go there. Sad.

mtbr member
    its really really hot right now. sure it will probably be cooler in 2 weeks but my recommendation would be to make the trip in late october, why be miserable.

Life is Go0d!
    I love fall too... My favorite time of year. But I don't mind riding in this heat. Winter will be here soon enough.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by futuristxen
    Hello there.

A couple of friends and I were thinking of coming from Pisgah, NC for some different riding in the Ozarks.

Do ya'll have any wilderness-type riding? Anything super technical? Long fast ridges?

From the little amount of research I've done it seems like now isn't the best time to come on over due to ticks, briars, and more ticks. Would it be a suicide mission to come there in 2 weeks?

Thanks for any info you might have.

what about North Georgia/Augusta? West Va? both considerably cooler than arkansas right now.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mo0se
    I guess that's what I get for assuming... But then again I have not been to the womble or Ouchita yet this year... Why would the Epic trails be ignored as far as maintenance??? We maintain Slaughter Pen every month.. Sometimes twice. Lake Leatherwood is always in good shape, every time I go there. Sad.
    Thats easy. SP has large pop of users per mile of trail. Womble OT Syllamo huge miles small pop of users. Come on down and pitch in!