Thread: Hot Springs

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Hot Springs

If you were staying 2 days in Hot Springs in May, what trails would you spend them on?

My wife will be at a conference Saturday and Sunday and I'll have most of the day to ride both days.

I would prefer to stay close to the city because if I'm gone too long and she doesn't have the car, things won't be going very well for me. I'd like to do the womble but I think logistically I'm unable to. Looks like it'll take 9 hours +/- round trip with travel to the trail head/shuttling. Is that about right?

Let me know.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rmh2282 View Post
    If you were staying 2 days in Hot Springs in May, what trails would you spend them on?

My wife will be at a conference Saturday and Sunday and I'll have most of the day to ride both days.

I would prefer to stay close to the city because if I'm gone too long and she doesn't have the car, things won't be going very well for me. I'd like to do the womble but I think logistically I'm unable to. Looks like it'll take 9 hours +/- round trip with travel to the trail head/shuttling. Is that about right?

Let me know.

Thanks.

Cedar Glades is just outside downtown and hosts a few races every year; groomed, flowy single track. Enjoy your stay!
    At what point did you decide you needed more than 1 gear?

mtbr member
    Cedar Glades (5 minutes from Hot Springs) Lake Ouachita Vista Trail (30 minutes), and Iron Mountain (45 minutes) are 3 of the best trails in Central Arkansas. Can't go wrong with any of these.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    If you had to pick between the vista trail, and iron mountain... which would it be?

Any suggestions on things to do beside cycling? Good restaraunts?

Looks like all the rock climbing in AR is in NW, anything local?

mtbr member
    Depends on your style of riding. Iron Mt. is probably my favorite places to ride because of how fast and flowy the trails are. Lots of berms and little jumps along the way. there's even an actual "flow track" on part of the trail.

the vista trail (LOVIT) is more XC oriented i suppose. especially the first few sections.

you really can't go wrong with either one. I'm a pretty aggressive ride and still have a blast at LOVIT.

Theres rock climbing at mt magazine. not sure of anything in the hot springs area, but i don't do much climbing these days.

Theres a really cool gangster bar called the Ohio Club across the street from the Arlington hotel in hot springs. Check it out, Al Capone used to hang out there!

mtbr member
    The womble is 45min away but worth it. Next best is lake ouachita vista trail. Then cedar glades. If u have a whole day to ride then the womble is worth the drive time. It's an IMBA trail... Great stuff.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Cool. Thanks for the tips guys.

I would like to do the womble but logistically I don't think I can do it without renting a car or something. I think I could squeeze in the LOVIT trail, and maybe hit cedar glades early one morning and be back for breakfast.

I suppose I'll figure it out.

Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Cedar Glades is a no brainer, you'll also like the LOViT, it's epic.
    Visit us here: ArkansasOutside.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I live in Hot Springs and ride Cedar Glades, LOvit, and Iron Mtn on a regular basis. My favorite of the three is Iron Mountain.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I like Cedar Glades, Womble, and Iron Mountain. LOvit trail has some really nice sections, but there are some really steep and large hills along certain sections. Depending on you shape, you might be pushing the bike. I had to push my bike over by Hickory Nut Mountain where the other trials, I can granny gear up their largest climbs.