mtbr member

First Ride on Dirt in Arkansas

I took a ride from my apartment in downtown Little Rock yesterday to Burns park. I crossed the bridge by the Clinton Library to the river trail and followed thad down to the golf course and took a road on the right that goes past what looks like was once a nice skills area. I turned left onto the yellow look out trail and after that I just kinda meandered around until I found myself at the covered bridge. I went a short way down the yellow trail and turned around. It got pretty muddy. After that I took the red, I think, trail to the green and wondered back over to Championship road and headed back home.

Altogether I rode 22 miles with 1235 feet of elevation gain. The trails were not particularly technical or challenging but they have some nice turns and a rock here and there. Best of all I can ride from where I live. I think once I'm fit enough I'll head back with my cross bike.

Happy Trails!
    I like to ride bikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Very cool!! Yeah, Yellow Trail is probably the worst one to ride right now - that low area gets really muddy & drains poorly. It's not much better when it dries out either - very bumpy from ruts & hoofprints. Definitely needs some work to smooth it out. You probably rode about 60% of the trails at Burns, IMO. They aren't too technical but there's enough elevation out there to give you a good workout.

Here's a good map of the Burns Park trails.

NLRPR - Burns Park Trails

Emerald is a good rocky/dirt climb, but not very technical either - you're rewarded with a great view from the top of the quarry.

Allsopp would be the other mtb trail that you could access from downtown. It's located between Kavanaugh and Cantrell. There's a north loop & a south loop. Allsopp is definitely a bit more technical and less groomed. There's some sharp rocks out there too so be warned.

Arkansas Trails – Little Rock Bike Trails – City of Little Rock Parks & Recreation

Camp Robinson the other awesome place to ride out here. It's in NLR but you need a sportsman's pass to ride out there. Those trails are maintained by the local MTB community. The map is a bit old but it shows most of the trais out there. Arkansas Cycling & Fitness :: Ride Detail - CARP Trails / Camp Robinson

mtbr member

I'm going to check out Allsopp next week. I've been doing some road rides. I need to lose some fat and get in shape for some of the longer trails that are further away. I've been reading a little about womble, Iron Mountain and syllamo. They all sound great but I'm too fat and outta shape right now.
    I like to ride bikes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Hi!! I am new to the area as well, so couldn't give you any local intel, but I am looking for some other folks to get out and ride LR with. Anybody down? I just posted a thread but I am a 25/f transplant from the mountains of NC. Going crazzzzy craving bike action!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    So awesome!! New to the area as well. I'm thinking of tackling this today or tomorrow.

mtbr member

My back is killing me for some reason today. Otherwise Im riding Allsopp sometime this week.
    I like to ride bikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I can't ride on Mon & Tues but I'll be free Wed and Thurs. There was a group riding Burns every Wed night but they will be riding at Camp Robinson from now on leaving the parking area at 6pm.

I'm the team administrator for the Spokes MTB team and I had a separate group riding Burns in the winter on Wed nights too, but we'll be moving our weekly ride to Allsopp on Wed nights in a couple of weeks - we leave from the Spokes bike shop at 6pm. The ride is open to anyone, not just the team. We have riders of all levels so don't feel like you have to be fast to come out. I usually end up riding sweep anyway so I don't mind hanging back if I have to! I'll let you know when that is running again.

I think I'm going to ride Camp this Wed but either of you want to ride on Thursday? We can do Allsopp or Burns - I sort of need to scout out Allsopp anyway. I'm not fast by any means (I sort of took off this winter) but I don't mind playing tour guide or showing y'all around.

Edit: There's a Burns Park Mountain Bike Group on meetup.com too. They organize mtb rides too and have a wide range of skill levels.

mtbr member

I'd be down to ride AllSopp on Thursday. I'm also super slow. I've gotten in 5 rides since the beginning of December.

What's a good time for you?
    I like to ride bikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Hey no worries. I can meet probably around 5:30 or 6:00. Do you have a light(s)? We can meet at Spokes if you want, or we can meet at the playground/tennis court area (Park Drive & Cedar Hill). This would be the south part of Allsopp.

Just so you know - I would consider Allsopp an intermediate trail. Like I said before, it's less groomed, and there are some good climbs. Nothing long, but there are some shorter, steep sections.

Quote Originally Posted by otis24 View Post
    I'd be down to ride AllSopp on Thursday. I'm also super slow. I've gotten in 5 rides since the beginning of December.

What's a good time for you?

mtbr member

I'm fine with no grooming and steep downhill stuff. I can do the short climbs too...just real slow.
    I'll probably head there tomorrow for a ride in the morning too.

I have a handle bar light and can probably rig a helmet light out of a head lamp. Or I can rig my two back up dive lights.

Anyway, want to meet at Spokes?
    I like to ride bikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    That will work. We can meet there inside between 5:30 and 6:00. I will PM you my contact info. We should be done before it gets dark, but it will be beneficial to have lights on the ride back to Spokes.