mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Fayetteville trails......

Headed to Fayetteville this weekend, AR that is. I know about Devil's Den & Slaughter Pen; are there any MTB trails in the city limits or at least within pedaling distance? I may still try to get to Slaughter Pen, but other options would be greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    The paved trails in Fayetteville can get you pretty much anywhere around town. Lake Fayetteville has MTB trails, but they are very rooty so be ready for a rough ride with little pay off compared to the other area trails. The other small lakes around Fayetteville both have hiking trails that I believe are marked as multi-use and would be a nice afternoon light ride (Lake Wilson and Lake Sequoyah).

If you are up for about a 45min drive from Fayetteville the trails at Hobbs State park are great. Also consider Blowing Springs just north of Slaughter Pen for a change of scenery.

Let me know if you are looking for a group to ride with Saturday morning as we will be hitting the trails somewhere in the area. There is also a large adventure ride planned for Sunday with several lengths ranging from 10-30mi, and ending with free food and drink for all. Should be a great one, but unfortunately I won't be able to make it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Oh, forgot about Lake Weddington. Lots of hiking trails out there as well, but again I'm not sure about biking them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    there is a few trails here in town too. One short one behind Mcd's on college and one on top mnt sequoia.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I rode down the Sequoia hiking trails one day as part of a tour of Fayetteville (started by the mall). The trails were way out of shape and most parts were either not ride-able at my skill level or not ride-able at all. Is there a specific bike trail out there?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I know this is old, but the important thing about sequoiais that you take all the lefts... Otherwise it gets pretty sketchy. All lefts leads to some nice flowy stuff.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    The mountain trail, not the lake trail right? We tried the lake trail today, and it looks like it could be pretty nice if it wasn't for all the thorns lining the path. We turned around pretty early in due to fear of flats.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I'm pretty sure he is referencing Mt. Sequoyah trail. There has been some reroutes of this trail and is actually worthy of checking out, keep hanging lefts until you get to the big pavilion, then turn around and climb back to the top. Good alternative to Lake Fayetteville.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Would you care to post directions on how to get to those trails? I am in the Ft. Smith area looking for trails to ride in Fayetteville. Also would anyone know how many miles of ride-able trail are there

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Trailhead is just off Skyline dr at the top of Mt Sequoyah. Skyline dr is a circle. Trailhead is between two radio towers. MS is about 4 miles of rideable trail one way. I usually like to ride MS and then make my way over to Kessler to get in some decent miles. Let me know when you are coming to Fayetteville, I'd be happy to show you around.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    BTW, it is worth mentioning that there are new trails being finished all the time out at blowing springs. Progressive Trail Design is doing an amazing job out there. Get out and ride 'em!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    [QUOTE=igotem;8918289]Trailhead is just off Skyline dr at the top of Mt Sequoyah. Skyline dr is a circle. Trailhead is between two radio towers. MS is about 4 miles of rideable trail one way. I usually like to ride MS and then make my way over to Kessler to get in some decent miles. Let me know when you are coming to Fayetteville, I'd be happy to show you around.[/QUOTE

Thanks, will do. I plan on coming up there soon, and checking them out. Sounds like fun!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    That's exactly what I was talking about. Thanks, igotem.

The new stuff at lake Fayetteville is pretty good and definitely looks sustainable. It should be excellent singletrack in a few years.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Ouzo4Twozo View Post
    That's exactly what I was talking about. Thanks, igotem.

The new stuff at lake Fayetteville is pretty good and definitely looks sustainable. It should be excellent singletrack in a few years.
    Agreed, I really enjoyed my last ride out there, and am looking forward to seeing it develop.

banned
    Lake Fayetteville reroutes and all the hard work has been nice. The only problem is. Its hard to ride a bike around these days. So many hikers and runners.When riding there due to convience. I go with the mind set of slow and many miles.On nice weather days its not uncommon to have to stop or yield trail every couple hundred feet.

Don't get me wrong. It's great that people are getting outdoors. Just not as mtn bike friendly as it was 20 years ago. It's become more of a social place. Alot of people are clueless as to trail etiquette.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Mojo - Agreed!
    People with earphones cranked up are clueless as to traffic around the trails, and seem surprised and offended when you go around them

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I rode Lake Fayetteville yesterday and I was exhausted afterwards. It was my first full speed ride and minus a few areas of roots and big rocks it was great. I also agree about walkers on the trail, almost hit a bird watcher with his headphones on. Are there any group rides around town during this time of the year? I saw that there is one on Tuesday nights starting at Lewis and Clark, but I don't have lights yet.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    That's exactly why I haven't ridden at Lake Fay in years, and I only live 10 miles away. Just too many people.
    '02 Kona Bear - '01 Schwinn Homegrown Comp - '12 Giant Defy 1 - '14 Kona Jake the Snake

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Has anyone ridden Lincoln Lake? How is it out there?

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather1138 View Post
    Has anyone ridden Lincoln Lake? How is it out there?
    I've ridden Lincoln Lake. It is two out and back trails. Each one is 4 miles long, for a total of 8 miles. Can ride multiple times it you want more miles. It's a really nice ride. Lots of variety, from pine forest, to technical sections to a short fire road. As far as terrian. I'd say its similar to Leatherwood in Eurika. Not as brutial as Devils Den. Not as groomed as SPH. No traffic, unlike Lake Fay. Very peaceful.

The views are great as well.Its a very scenic lake. If your into photography. Take a camera with you. Eagles nest there as well.

Someone has put alot of hard work and thought into these trails.Theres a few places someone had to haul gravel in from a ways off. I hear theres going to be more trails added in the future.

Anyone in NWA that enjoys the outdoors. Should take an adventure day and visit Lincoln lake atleast once.Seeing how Im only 15 miles from it. It will be a place I ride often this year.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Awesome! Thanks for the review. One of my riding buddies has been talking with the guy who is building/managing the trails out there while his wife has been climbing. It is sounding like a great ride, but we haven't had a chance to get out there on the bikes. Sounds like a must ride though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Where's Lincoln Lake trails located?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

View Larger Map

We rode it Sunday, and is was definitely worth the drive out there. Some fun and technical trail sections with great views.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thank you!