Thread: Eagle Rock Loop

Dirty South Underdog

Eagle Rock Loop

A long time ago, I ran a trail race on the Athens-Big Fork Trail. I remember thinking, "damn, this would suck to ride." Fast forward to now... I am looking for something gnarly to tackle this winter, and I happen upon a MTBR trail review for the A-BF Trail with general instruction for the Eagle Rock Loop- the A-BF, Little Missouri, and Viles Branch trails linked together.

Has anyone here ever done it? How long did it take you? I realize that it would involve a metric crap-ton of hike-a-bike, but I'm not terribly bothered by that.
    Last edited by Andrea138; 09-25-2012 at 03:49 AM.
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

mtbr member
    Hiked it a few years ago (just before the flood). Much of it would be ridable but be ready for a lot of deep creek crossings along the Little Mo. Also, some of the climbs along the Athens-Big Fork have a lot of gravel to the point of being un-ridable. That said it would certainly be an adventure.
    Visit us here: ArkansasOutside.com

Dirty South Underdog
    Todd "Antique Gun Show" Henne says ride it in the fall. Looks like I should start planning before it gets too cold to have wet feet all day.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I bet it'd be faster if you just trail run it.

Tree Dodger
    Nov 2012
    I've hiked it 8 times (once in 11-1/2 hours) and I have given it alot of thought now that I'm back on the bike. Anytime between mid April to early October is just too hot to try. The 6 climbs in 7 miles will chew anyone up (1, 3, 5 & 6 from S to N are the ones to remember). I would say that 20 of the miles would be enjoyable if you are looking for a challenge, the other 6 would be brutal. Take a water filter because water is always accessable. Saying all this it's something that I'm sure I will attempt before too long!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    too much hike-a-bike... it'll scratch the soles of my carbon shoes.

Dirty South Underdog
    I never made plans, but maybe once the days are a little longer, I can get something going.

Tree Dodger
    Nov 2012
    If you ever get around to making plans let me know. It would be a tough ride, but much better with someone to share the pain with.