govt kontrakt projkt mgr

Camp Robinson ???

Do these trails still exist and still worthwhile ?

Reason I ask is last review here said closed for logging (that was in November). Then I found some videos and the posted comments said--sadly these trails (5mile and dogwood I think) are gone...

same trails still show on the CARP website map though...

i have some vacation time i can take and would like to get out of texas. i had a blast riding my alma mater's trails (SIUE) in Illinois a month or so ago. I have always heard abt cp robinson and was thinking of making a Wed thru Tues vacation riding these and doing the big dam 100 road ride toward the end of september..

so hopefully someone can give me the latest.....

thanks !!

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Oh I think I found what I need. Found the facebook page and it has all the latest news it seems. So many trails are re-opened, just not quite the same I guess.

Also it seems there's a big question to whether CARP membership is required....can someone answer that ?

mtbr member
    carp membership is not required, however carp members still put a lot of work into the trails and membership is appreciated.

camp robinson does require, even for active military, that you have a sportsman's pass. this can only be obtained on certain days between certain hours and costs 10 dollars. its a frustrating barrier as sometimes they aren't available even during their advertised hours. passes are obtained at the main gate but i can remember the exact days and times - i want to say tues-thurs from 10-4 but thats just my best guess.

there are still great trails at camp robinson, but its true that a significant portion of the landscape is in upheaval.

although camp robinson is still the best riding in little rock, many other great options exist. within little rock you can ride burns park, boyle park, the jackfork trail and of course camp robinson. additionally, coming from ft hood, you should stop and ride the womble, the LOViT and maybe even the lake degray trails (i havent ridden them but they are getting good reviews).

a couple notes:
    its wicked hot and humid here, today was nice, but its been awful toasty and muggy. if you are planning on coming this way then be prepared to ride very early. i rode this morning at 0830 and sweat was not dripping but pouring off my chin... riding here in nov and dec is fabulous and i'd recommend that you come then.

if/when you come, let us know and we can show you around.
    cheers

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Thanks Scoutcat.

If I come it would be toward the latter part of September and in conjunction with the annual road ride event in Littlerock.

I think I will call billeting there tomorrow and see what the chances are for a retired CW3 and wife are to get a room for Thurs/Fri/Sat nites during this period. I know retirees are eligible for billeting but many installations it is the rule arrive and see if there is space available. Sometimes one can get lucky and reserve in advance--but that's not the norm for Soldiers solely on leave or for retirees. Doesn't hurt to ask though...20 or 30 bucks a nite beats 125+....

mtbr member
    billeting there isnt great, cinder block barracks mostly. you might find it better and easier at little rock air force base but its about 20mi away. camp robinson, as a base, is pretty small and has limited dining. the px is okay for beer and snacks but not much else.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    --sounds like North Ft Hood training area which is used mainly by Army West Division as a Guard/Reserve training cantonment area. But I did see on the Arkansas Guard website they do have some temporary lodging quarters besides the training barracks. LRAFB is full that weekend; I may just get a room at Super 8 or somewhere in Jacksonville, rates seem reasonable enough.

oh and I agree I think Friday I should check out Cedar Glades and a segment of the Ouachita Vista.

Quote Originally Posted by scoutcat View Post
    billeting there isnt great, cinder block barracks mostly. you might find it better and easier at little rock air force base but its about 20mi away. camp robinson, as a base, is pretty small and has limited dining. the px is okay for beer and snacks but not much else.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmySlowRdr View Post
    --sounds like North Ft Hood training area which is used mainly by Army West Division as a Guard/Reserve training cantonment area. But I did see on the Arkansas Guard website they do have some temporary lodging quarters besides the training barracks. LRAFB is full that weekend; I may just get a room at Super 8 or somewhere in Jacksonville, rates seem reasonable enough.

oh and I agree I think Friday I should check out Cedar Glades and a segment of the Ouachita Vista.
    cedar glades is okay but not really a destination trail. the womble and ouachita vista are superior.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    I grew up in Hot Springs before MTB was a big thing. Given my limited time in the area --Thurs, Fri and the road ride in Littlerock area Saturday, I want to do trails that are easy to get to and might not wear me out. lol. yes Womble is on my list--someday. I figure it might be doable to do Cedar Glades in the morning and ONE segment of the Vista in the afternoon... ??

Quote Originally Posted by scoutcat View Post
    cedar glades is okay but not really a destination trail. the womble and ouachita vista are superior.

mtbr member
    You could do that, Cedar Glades is about 9ish miles if you do the Attila the Hun race loop. Fun!

Park at the #2 (Homestead) parking lot on Vista and roll out to the Eagle Point and back would be a fairly easy run too. Leaving some left in the tank for BDB100 the next day. It doesn't get hard until you get up toward the mountain climbs.

If you see some nasty green Falcon Jet jerseys at the BDB100 hollar at me.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Thanks for the info. Will see if I can't make this trip happen.