mtbr member

calling Baton Rouge

Hey gang, thought I'd check in here and see what the MTB community is like in and around Baton Rouge. In a few weeks I'll be heading down there to work for about 4-5 months. I'm thinking of shipping my bike over so I can get out and enjoy what the area has to offer on the weekends.

Questions:

1) From what I've seen it looks like the Comite trail network around Baton Rouge is the only biking in the immediate area. Am I missing anywhere else?

2) At the moment, the only bike in the stable is a Santa Cruz Bronson. Is this overkill for the type of terrain out there? Meaning, should I consider picking up a used 29er hard tail that I've been pondering?

3) Anyone interested in showing a fellow mountain biker around your fine state? I'll buy the beer.

Thanks for any info or links, I hope to have a chance to meet some of the Louisiana MTBR gang!

PVGNA PRO PATRIA
    Comite and Hooper (they are connected) are the two trails that we have in Baton Rouge. There are other trails 30/45 minutes north and south of BR, too. North of town, in St. Francisville, is the Beast and another south of town toward NO called the Spillway. There are also trails w/in a couple of hours that some of the locals caravan to periodically. Check out bramba.org for trail info.

Regarding your bike, it may be slightly overkill but doable since we have no real sustained climbing. The Beast will be the most difficult on such a beast though. If you have the hots for a HT 29r, this may be a good time to pull the trigger.

MTBR trail reviews:

Comite

Hooper

the Beast

the Spillway

See ya out on the trails...
    Last edited by NslrPrtn; 04-07-2014 at 06:35 AM.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info, much appreciated! Hope to see you out there.