mtbr member

Buffalo River Biking/Camping/Paddling

Hey all!

I am looking at going to the Buffalo River in a couple weeks...wanting to go camp at a place that will have reasonable access to cycling and is right on the water.

The Mountain Bike the Ozarks book has some places in it, but they don't look the greatest for mtn biking. Out of them, there is: Snowball Loop, Mt Hersey Loop, Woolum Ford, and Erbie Loop - all of which have campgrounds.

What would you recommend?

Thanks!!!
    experience life

Trek RSS, GT Force FS, Diamondback Podium (Commuter)

www.atheistphilbiz.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    The Buffalo River is a great area. You should check out the Red Star Mountain biking trails around the Buffalo River Headwaters. There are some great biking trails, but I am unsure about camping arrangements.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Dude, I'd stay in Ponca this time of year... Opt out on the bike and go hiking in that area. You won't be disappointed. If you aren't starting at Ponca, you should reconsider. There are very few times in the year when the water is high enough to canoe the upper Buffalo.

mtbr member
    Buffalo National River is part of the National Park System and thus, no mountain biking (this may change) your best bet is to do your mountain biking on your way to or from the area. Which direction are you coming from and we may be able to give you some ideas. We have nationally recognized mtb trails within an hour or two of the river.
    Visit us here: ArkansasOutside.com

mtbr member
    Some friends and I are doing a very similar trip. We'll be riding at Syllamo and checking our the Blanchard Springs area, then staying two days at Horseshoe Canyon Ranch for some climbing and hiking in the area. We'll surely be hiking Ponca. From there we're going to hit Womble, and then Fossil Flats after that. If you're traveling around, those three trail systems are what I hear most about.