Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

bethel looking good

bethel has been in great shape lately aside from some fallen leaves and random branch debris. couple that with couch actually being open now (2 bridges built), a see saw, and a new drop off.... its a fun loop.

got a new personal best in today on this 15 mile loop (maybe more, this was according to cyclemeter).

Route: New Route
    Activity: Mountain Bike
    Google Maps URL: Cyclemeter-MountainCycle-20120108-1514.kml - Google Maps
    Shortened Google Maps URL: Cyclemeter-MountainCycle-20120108-1514.kml - Google Maps
    Import URL: http://share.abvio.com/c4eb/5d1b/4e4...20108-1514.kml
    Started: Jan 8, 2012 15:14:39
    Ride Time: 1:23:01
    Stopped Time: 9:37
    Distance: 15.24 miles
    Average Speed: 11.02 mph
    Fastest Speed: 18.64 mph
    Ascent: 169 feet
    Descent: 194 feet
    Calories: 956
    Gary Fisher HiFi Deluxe 29er

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

... and if we just ... bethel

go ride bethel and post some pics.

mtbr member
    ill get back out there this weekend and snap some pics

I'm Slow
    I'm going to try and be out there Saturday, I'll take some pics too.
    RideSAMBA.com Mountain Biking in South Alabama.

I'm Slow
    Took some pics of the new couch stuff.

Pics : Photo Album - Imgur

Video of me going on the seesaw, my first time ever doing one.
    Bethel SeeSaw - YouTube

mtbr member
    thanks paul. i did some laps today but forgot to get pics. the drop off is addicting.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Thinking of making a trip out there this sunday to see how the trails are.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    who built those trails?
    ride fast...take chances...

What could go wrong ...
    they are basically abandoned motorcycle trails that the GCBC guys have maintained as mtb trails
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoke2 View Post
    they are basically abandoned motorcycle trails that the GCBC guys have maintained as mtb trails
    ah, ok. does anyone ever cut more? there could easily be 20+ miles worth w/in the same space that the current trails are.
    ride fast...take chances...

What could go wrong ...
    anybody know if the trails are dry enough to ride

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Trails are in good shape but be careful the new bridges took some damage from the heavy rain runoff. Saw lots of people on the trails today which is always good. Got to holler at the NOLA bunch among others.

What could go wrong ...
    The weather was perfect and it was good to see people out on the trail ... and good to see you again krue. Here are some pics of the new bridges that have been damaged.
    Attached Images Attached Images        

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    How's Bethel looking? Was thinking about heading out there Sunday morning to put in a few laps if the weather holds out.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Its really muddy its great if like mud puddles

What could go wrong ...
    Does anyone know if the Trek Demo at Bethel is still on or was it rained out

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    The 2 bridges shown above have been fixed and are good to ride on again.

mtbr member
    went out last Friday and rode all of the trails except south pine lizard. it had rained that day so it was a tad muddy in the low spots but all in all its in good shape. going out on Tuesday if we don't go to the trails @ U.S.A. in Mobile or the trails in P Cola.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Rode Coach trail today that last heavy rain we had last week did a number on the new bridges both are not able to be rode on the first bridge had a tree fall on it and the second must have got washed out real bad the bridge has been lifted up and moved out the way till they come up with a better plan. The control burn they did has also aloud the rain to move more sand on the trails so proceed with caution on some turns out there.

What could go wrong ...
    Trail is Closed

GCBC Facebook LINK

Please be advised that the Bethel Bicycle Trail system (yes the whole thing!) has been TEMPORARILY CLOSED by the US Forest Service. A gate has been installed and closed/locked at the trailhead. I don't know if there is a sign stating they are closed, but the word from the District Ranger is that they are TEMPORARILY CLOSED.

Why are they closed? There was an incident last Sunday where a rider got injured and the Forest Service is conducting an investigation. They expect the trails to REOPEN IN A FEW WEEKS. If the gate at the trailhead is closed/locked, it is still closed. USFS will notify GCBC when they are open again.

Can we still ride the trails? According to USFS, the entire system is closed. As you may know there are many places to access the trail system other than the trailhead, that doesn't mean you can/should do so.

Also be advised that law enforcement will increase surveillance of the trails. What does that mean? I don't have specifics but I suspect that a citation/ticket could be possible.

My 2 cents (Dave) - stay off the trails (day and night) until USFS has finished their investigation and has announced the trails opened again. If cyclists (regardless of club membership status) disregard the notice, the more difficult it will be to re-open them.

mtbr member
    Jim Foster
    GCHTP President

Good Morning Jim,
    Thanks for calling this morning and I sure enjoyed hearing about the successes of the Trails Partnership on the Coast.
    We were successful in finding some scare funding at the end of this fiscal year to work on the Couch Loop of the Bethel Bicycle Trail. The re-route portion has been completed and we will be looking for some volunteer labor to assist us with placing hardening blocks on the three low water crossing challenges along that loop. We’re hoping that this will provide riders with a different experience that will be a safe and hopefully might cool riders off some riders, on those hot South Mississippi Summer days (smile).

I know this is short notice but we will be moving paving blocks to the site early Saturday Morning (tomorrow) August 24th. We will be accessing the trail from Highway 15 and Forest Service Road 426. If anyone would like to lend a hand tomorrow that would be great. Our crew plans on working over the next few weekends (on Saturdays) to get the work completed so we can reopen the trail.

If folks are interested they can contact Charles (Scooby) Grice@ 601-270-2515

I really appreciate the Club’s Members for their support and willingness to work with us to help promote a safe and healthy quality outdoor experience on the De Soto National Forest

Ron Smith
    District Ranger
    De Soto Ranger District

+USFS SHOULD BE UNLOADING BLOCKS AROUND 8:30-9am Saturday morning on Hwy 15 near Badlands.They will be working in trails for the next few Saturday mornings. If you can help out it would be appreciated. To reopen Bethel.

mtbr member
    We're doing a work day @ bethal trails on saturday Sept 8. Meeting @ 8:30-9am at the gravel parking area on Hwy 15 by bethal bike trails sign. Hopefully we can open trails up after this work is done! Hope to see ya'll there.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I rode most of that system today with 3 locals...had a great time. Nice,fun trails. I was lucky to find them via a FS flyer in a rest area that I just happened to see. Looking forward to return trip soon.

Me Worry?
    Anybody know what the hunting schedule is for Bethel? Are the trails still just open on Sundays during hunting season? When I rode before Thanksgiving the woods were crawling with hunters and dogs.

I'm Slow
    It hunting season (I don't know the dates) but yes its a "shared" area. WEAR ORANGE and avoid white. Best to ride mid day, thats when the least amount of hunters will be out.

Usually if I went out there and I saw lots of hunters I just went on home. After a few weeks it'll die down.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast