Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Arkansas Trails in Summer

Any suggestions for bike trails in Arkansas that aren't overrun by briars and weeds during the summer?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Hobbs and Slaughter Pen are well groomed throughout the year. I've never had an issue with either of those trails being overgrown.

mtbr member
    Also Burns Parks is in good shape as far as plant growth. As always a bit rocky and rooty but that's what it's all about.
    Visit us here: ArkansasOutside.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    How is the trail at Pinnacle Mountain doing? I went out there when it first started and seemed to be in pretty good shape. I know the Cadron Settlement trail in Conway is in pretty good shape. Syllamo had some great sections, but some were really bad like where the Orange and Blue trail meet.
    I need to head up to NWA and try out Hobbs and Slaughter Pen.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Syllamo! Was very well kept a few years ago when I was in Arkansas.
    He who throws mud loses ground.
    -Fat Albert

Dirty South Underdog
    Syllamo could be a craps shoot. Last year by this time, it was a total jungle in many of the open areas of the trail...

Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    It is a great trail because it is so remote, but at the same time it makes the trail less maintained. Even some wooded areas are worse than they should be after the ice storm. There is a lot more light getting to the forest floor. Maybe they can get some stone county 409's out there and trim bars lol.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Dang! Never saw it like that! I had been thinking bout heading that way too! Thanks for the warning!
    He who throws mud loses ground.
    -Fat Albert

mtbr member
    I walked the entire Jackfork Trail at Pinnacle Mountain State Park last night with the loppers and barely used them. I did find two trees down on the trail and was able to move one the other will need a chainsaw. Otherwise the trail is perfectly ridable.
    Visit us here: ArkansasOutside.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    sounds like the crew from Carr's is working on Old Post Tues. the 12th at 5:30 if any Russelville peeps want to come out and help.

Life is Go0d!

NW Arkansas

If you are near NW Arkansas, here is an updated map of Slaughter Pen Hollow, and surrounding trails.

Arkansas Trails in Summer-sph-bentonville-trailsl.jpg
    The only regrets in life, are the risks you didn't take.

Life is Go0d!

Updated map

If you are near NW Arkansas, here is an updated map of the Slaughter Pen Trails, and surrounding trails.

Arkansas Trails in Summer-sph-bentonville-trailsl.jpg
    The only regrets in life, are the risks you didn't take.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Any advice for us! A week from Monday we will be in Arkansas and were hoping to get a day of riding in. We will be coming from the direction of Birmingham, Alabama and headed toward Taos, NM (so along 40). We were originally going to hit Syllamo but seeing the picture above and hearing it is typically overgrown this time of year, maybe we should try something else?

We are looking for XC type riding (4+hrs type stuff). Thank you all you locals for your advice.

banned

dry

The above pic was takin last year, when we had a rather wet year. I have'nt been to Syllamo, but with it being this dry. I cant imagine it being that overgrown this year.

Maybe someone that has visited Syllamo recently will chime in.

mtbr member
    detour at little rock onto I30 then hit the womble. definitely worth the extra hour or two of driving. regarding syllamo, there's several loops and stretches of some will be overgrown but there will also be loops that at fine. i cant comment off the top of my head what loops are likely to be fine but i'd imagine that the loops used for the syllamo race earlier this spring have the best chance.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks for the replies. We are going to hit the womble. We just need rain to fall in New Mexico and snow to melt in Colorado and all will be good.

But really looking forward to checking out the trails in Arkansas. The one time I drove through your state I was pleasantly surprised with how beautiful it was.

the truth
    there are some great trails and amazing scenery

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Don't forget about the Lake Ouachita Vista Trail Trail. I like womble better but I hate all the spider webs associated with it in summer. Plus, Vista is right on the water.
    Frank Webber | Orbea USA
    Customer Service | MTB Promotion

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I was recently told that Syllamo was clear. Can anybody confirm?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    A group of us from Dallas visited Syllamo over the Labor Day weekend. We rode the Red, Orange, and Green loops (Bad Branch, Bald Scrappy, and White River Bluff, respectively.) All of the loops we rode had small sticks, branches, and other small tree debris on them (to be expected.)

Bad Branch (Red) had a lot of downed trees that had to be walked or climbed over. The Red loop also had a lot of sections where the vegetation had grown into the space over the trail tread. Vegetation that was hiding lots of thorns and other pointy plant bits. By the time we finished the Red loop, we all looked like we had spent the day fighting or herding cats.

Bald Scrappy (Orange) was in better shape, but the Forest Service has signs posted on the trail stating that it's temporarily closed during the week (7am-6pm.) We managed to lose the trail towards the end of the combined blue/orange section. Luckily we picked up the blue loop further down the hill and picked the right direction to get back on the orange.

The White River Bluff loop (Green) was in good shape overall. There were a couple of small areas where the vegetation was encroaching on the trail, but it wasn't thorny vegetation.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buadyen View Post
    A group of us from Dallas visited Syllamo over the Labor Day weekend. We rode the Red, Orange, and Green loops (Bad Branch, Bald Scrappy, and White River Bluff, respectively.) All of the loops we rode had small sticks, branches, and other small tree debris on them (to be expected.)

Bad Branch (Red) had a lot of downed trees that had to be walked or climbed over. The Red loop also had a lot of sections where the vegetation had grown into the space over the trail tread. Vegetation that was hiding lots of thorns and other pointy plant bits. By the time we finished the Red loop, we all looked like we had spent the day fighting or herding cats.

Bald Scrappy (Orange) was in better shape, but the Forest Service has signs posted on the trail stating that it's temporarily closed during the week (7am-6pm.) We managed to lose the trail towards the end of the combined blue/orange section. Luckily we picked up the blue loop further down the hill and picked the right direction to get back on the orange.

The White River Bluff loop (Green) was in good shape overall. There were a couple of small areas where the vegetation was encroaching on the trail, but it wasn't thorny vegetation.

Wow, thanks a TON for the write-up...I was actually going to go down and camp for a few days...But, not if it is that rough in places...

Has anyone been on Leatherwood Lately?
    experience life

Trek RSS, GT Force FS, Diamondback Podium (Commuter)

www.atheistphilbiz.blogspot.com

mtbr member

Leatherwood

Leatherwood should be in great shape. They had their big race over there about a month ago.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I can second the Bad Branch (red) at Syllamo. Me and a buddy were out there also over Labor Day weekend. While that trail is awesome and flows well there were at least a dozen trees across the trail and those thorny sections were a *****. you'd be getting into the ride and they suddenly hit them. It thrashed our arms and legs up pretty good.

mtbr member
    Great pics!

2006 Yeti AS-X
    How is Leatherwood at this time of year?
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast