2006 Yeti AS-X

Arkansas Question?

Heading down to Arkansas this weekend to ride the trails at Lake Leatherwood and Blowing Springs around Bentonville. Never ridden down there before so not sure what to expect - I know the scenery will be absolutely amazing.

Normally don't have to worry too much about having to put on Ivy Block on the trails in northern Missouri - would that be the same expectations for down in Arkansas?

Thanks
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    No.. Lots of poison ivy and mosquitos.. Make sure to ride slaughter pen while in Bentonville... There was a trail under construction that is gonna connect Blowing Springs and Slaughter Pen.. Think its close to done if not finished. Best trails in the state.(p.s. iv enever heard of ivy block,what is it?)

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Just wondering - alot of ivy in northern Missouri but usually if you stay on the trail, you don't usually have to worry too much about getting in contact - if you stray out into the woods off the trail, generally a different story - I imagine mushroom hunters get into the stuff quite frequently.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Quote Originally Posted by chadalex78 View Post
    No.. Lots of poison ivy and mosquitos.. Make sure to ride slaughter pen while in Bentonville... There was a trail under construction that is gonna connect Blowing Springs and Slaughter Pen.. Think its close to done if not finished. Best trails in the state.(p.s. iv enever heard of ivy block,what is it?)

Ivy Block is a creme (like sunblock) you put on your skin that supposedly prevents the urushoil (the nasty oil in poison ivy) from bonding with your skin thus preventing the allergic reaction. Never tried it before but my pharmacist buddy is bringing me some which I will try this weekend while riding down there.

mtbr member
    Ah... Lake leatherwood would prolly be where there might be some juttin out on the trail, but Blowing Springs and Slaughter Pen are well maintained and manicured.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawson Raider View Post
    Heading down to Arkansas this weekend to ride the trails at Lake Leatherwood and Blowing Springs around Bentonville. Never ridden down there before so not sure what to expect - I know the scenery will be absolutely amazing.

Normally don't have to worry too much about having to put on Ivy Block on the trails in northern Missouri - would that be the same expectations for down in Arkansas?

Thanks
    We had hardly any cold weather this winder so the ticks n misquitoes never got killed off. Briing some good bug spray. If you forget and someone is in the parking lot you can usually borrow some.. I always have extra for others.

Check out blowing springs then lake bella vista trail is right behind it. Then there is slaughterpen.. it's slowing getting destroyed into a sidewalk trail.. but it's good for burning miles.. A large group rides sat morning if you wanna tag along shoot me a PM.

mtbr member
    Slaughter Pen has the gnarliest downhill and freeriding in the state... You gotta get off the sidewalk bruh.

mtbr member

Arkansas Question?

Slaughter Pen has the gnarliest downhill and freeriding in the state... You gotta get off the sidewalk bruh.
    I guess that's why all the DH guys in the bentonville ride lake leatherwood every weekend.

The DH at sp is a glorified flow track.

I was referring to the trails at slaughter pen and how they are removing a lot of the trail features.

Please tell me about your wicked session rig and your monumental DH knowledge.

mtbr member
    Wait what?... Removing the freatures? Whaaaa? Why? When? Which ones? Last time I went there(bout a yr ago) they were adding tons of new features... I moved to Texas and ride Big Cedar and some other places you might have heard of... From Fort Smith and we have a growing trail building movement goin on there right now... If your ever down there, check out Ben Geren.... Its changed immensly. Just have a all round trail rig. I ride everything on it. Smartass

mtbr member

Arkansas Question?

Wait what?... Removing the freatures? Whaaaa? Why? When? Which ones? Last time I went there(bout a yr ago) they were adding tons of new features... I moved to Texas and ride Big Cedar and some other places you might have heard of... From Fort Smith and we have a growing trail building movement goin on there right now... If your ever down there, check out Ben Geren.... Its changed immensly. Just have a all round trail rig. I ride everything on it. Smartass
    Haha. I'm rocking an am ht so I'm not hucking big stuff either.

It's not the trail builders that are killing the trails. It's a bunch of XC guys that want smooth trail. They have removed a lot of rock gardens, one was transformed into a 8x14 mud pit that we stop at and walk around.

I rode urban trail on section 2 of sp last weekend and it looks like someone walked it with a punch and hammer and cracked a ton of rocks out of the trail.

Ill watch guys cut around 2-3 trees instead of going over a cake 4-5inch talk rock that pretty much looks like a turtle.

Basically the idea of being challenged on these trails is not desired by some and they destroy the trail.

Luckily progressive trail building is in here and have built some awesome trails. Bella vista lake has some really technical rocks. But within a month of being open you can already see where guys are trying to cut around every fricking rock.

Word is Rogers AR is gonna build a multi million $$$ park that's supposed to dwarf slaughter pen. Like 15-19 miles of xc trail. 3-5 Miles of AM type nasty stuff. A purpose built DH park. A rock climbing wall. (For non bikers). It's planned within 3-4 yrs and will start from downtown Rogers.

But I love it here. If we could get some nice Bermed corners I would be in heaven.

But the only cool thing about all this loose surfaces is I can just kill when I ride else ware on hard packed dirt.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Had a wonderful trip. First day we went to Branson, Missouri to check out the White River trails that opened up in 2011 - a really nice trail system. Did the Red and Blue loops and found out how really out of shape I was - goodness gracious - I thought my heart was going to jump out of my ribcage...

Between the winter, having to move, trails being muddy when I was off work....etc...etc...my carcass was really feeling it.

We left there and went to Eureka Springs and setup camp at Lake Leatherwood and in the morning we rode the Beecham around the lake to the Twin Knobs up to the Bench Trails and back down and ate lunch.

After lunch we hit up Miner's Rock and must say that is my favorite trail of the entire trip - a gut busting climb up but when rock and roll time came - sweet mother Landsbury it was ear to ear grinning as my Trek was riding those loose rocky trail down to the road...

Next morning, we packed up early and headed west to Bentonville and did a loop at Slaughter Penn (Up to Medusa and over to Tamagouche (sp?) and back down) then drove over to Blowing Springs and did a loop there - Blowing Springs was my second most favorite ride of the trip - especially on the way back with some nice chunky chunk.

Had to head back north home after that ride to get home in time to wash and clean up for work the next day.

Impressed at the trails - will definitely be making some trips back.