mtbr member

2012 Syllamo's Revenge

Okay, the first story and link to lots of photos is up: Syllamo’s Revenge 2012 More to come, see if you can find your photo.
    Visit us here: ArkansasOutside.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Do you remember where the singletrack photos where taken? (approximately) Before or after Checkpoint 1? Closer to Checkpoint #2?

mtbr member
    End of the White River Bluff Trail just before you come out on Green Mountain Road. Here is a race report from a friend. Syllamo 125 Race Report
    Visit us here: ArkansasOutside.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks for the photos and input on where they were taken. It really helped me determine where I completely blew up.

Also, thanks to everyone for the race setup and tips. I was set for rocky, but wasn't expecting rock crawling for that first 15 miles. After the race, I said "never again". A week removed, I'm plotting on where I can regain time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    My quickie race report:
    Bad starting spot, way too far back as others kept pilling in from the sides. So just after the pack starts moving, I move to the left edge and drill it to the base of the climb and then settle back in. I likely made up 75 spots with that one move. Getting into the groove on the climb a few of us move up the middle, recover, move up the middle again, etc. Kept on pushing the pace knowing that I was still too far back and that a decent spot into the singletrack would be crucial. The top of that first climb came way too early (I hadn't pre-ridden any of the course). Good spot into the singletrack and a few bobbles by others and I pickup another 5 spots. I convince myself that I must be near the top 20 goal that I had set for myself. Settle into a good group and enjoy the ride. Cleaning everything, but that stone bridge over the creek. I must have been cross-eyed as I just rode onto it and then off the right side. No harm, but I'm sure it looked impressive.

I thought that my goal time for the 1st checkpoint was 1:20 so when I saw that on my timer and only at about 10 miles, I was bummed. I roll into the checkpoint near 1:38 and now convince myself that I'm running behind goal. Quick water stop and rolling again. Realize that I'm not drinking enough and try to resolve, but just not many spots on the trail to drink or eat. I tell myself that I must be in 50th and start picking people off. Pass 10+ people between chk1 and on the downhill to #2. Never realize that I'm passing 125k people so I keep pushing the pace. By the time that I'm at checkpoint #2, I've pushed myself too much and am dehydrated. I sit at chk2 for a few minutes and try to get water down.

Leave chk#2 and ride to the singletrack and then it just goes to hell. Can't get heart rate over 130 or I feel like puking. Lots of walking and not much riding all the way to chk #3. More water and sitting. I leave before they decide my incoherent speech is enough to keep me there. I remember being a little nervous about pushing myself, but ride on. Still have to stop a few times on the Red loop, but in the last 30min something starts to come back to me. I can get heart rate into the 140-149 range and getting into the flow.

Hit chk#3 the 2nd time and am hoping for road riding back to the finish. Pissed that it is still 2 miles of sweet singletrack. Finally hit the downhill to the finish. 6:08 60th overall. Missed my goal by about an hour. Easily left it in the walking and stopping on the trail.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    For the sake of helping others next year:
    Tires: Fast Trak Control version (no flats)
    Bike: Salsa El Mariachi Ti (full susp would be better if you have it)
    Hydration: aide stations were awesome, I did two bottles, but next time will run a small camelback over waterbottles due to roughness of trail (temps over 90 this year)
    Gearing: I ran a 1x9; 34x11-34; this was fine for the majority of the trail and considering my goal time of 5:15

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    The blue loop is no joke!
    Peace from Hell...

'13 Chromag Stylus
    '11 Specialized 29r EVO ht
    '11 DB Mission 2 w/Fox 36

bab74 on GORC

honez1414
    Jan 2011
    Did the OC this year and wanted to try Syllamo as well but the new baby girl saw otherwise. How comparable are the two races effort wise? From what I've read Syllamo is almost entirely singletrack which makes a big difference but is any of it as technical as Blowout Mtn from the OC race course?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by honez1414 View Post
    Did the OC this year and wanted to try Syllamo as well but the new baby girl saw otherwise. How comparable are the two races effort wise? From what I've read Syllamo is almost entirely singletrack which makes a big difference but is any of it as technical as Blowout Mtn from the OC race course?
    Yes, harder than any of the hundreds is what I hear.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FlynG View Post
    Yes, harder than any of the hundreds is what I hear.
    I raced Cohutta, the Syllamo 125 and Mohican last weekend, Cohutta had twice the climbing (13,500í) that the Syllamo 125 had, that alone made it one tough cookie. Mohican had 9600í of climbing but tons of steep grades. Syllamo is hard (but only 6800í of climbing) in that itís all singletrack with no place to rest but who needs to rest when you are having that much fun!
    On the fun scale, Iíd rank them Syllamo 125, Mohican 100, Cohutta 100 and last Ouachita

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    just curious, why rank Ouachita last?

I did syllamo 50 and loved it, 4:49. a friend is trying to talk me into Ouachita...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rfxc View Post
    just curious, why rank Ouachita last?

I did syllamo 50 and loved it, 4:49. a friend is trying to talk me into Ouachita...
    In my opinion, the Ouachita Trails just arenít much fun, they are brutally rocky with too much hike a bike, followed by a ton of road and fireroad before making it to the (too much fun) Womble trails. Iím just a big fan of good singletrack and Syllamo has tons of that.

Ouachita is the best supported race out there though and if you havenít done it you should, lots of folks love it.