mtbr member
    Jul 2011

*For LA Residents* Brec and Open Carry

Have any of yall open carried in a brec park?

likes to ride bikes
    You're an idiot.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Curious as to why one would feel the need to "open carry" while riding in a urban park?
    Last edited by nolamonster; 10-12-2011 at 02:33 PM.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by thatwhichisnt View Post
    Have any of yall open carried in a brec park?

Just get a CC so you don't upset the sensibilities if the ignorant, aka rabbit people.

I will, though, make it a point to OC my "trail gun" the next time I ride the Beast (providing Lynn hasn't forced it's closure again).

likes to ride bikes
    Firearms are prohibited within the West Feliciana Sports Park.

Quote Originally Posted by eauxgod View Post
    Just get a CC so you don't upset the sensibilities if the ignorant, aka rabbit people.

I will, though, make it a point to OC my "trail gun" the next time I ride the Beast (providing Lynn hasn't forced it's closure again).

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TunicaTrails View Post
    Firearms are prohibited within the West Feliciana Sports Park.
    That's what the sign says, but not what the law says.

likes to ride bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by eauxgod View Post
    That's what the sign says, but not what the law says.
    First of all I apologize for calling the guy above an idiot. I may feel it but I didn't have to speak. it.

It is prohibited by law to bring a firearm into certain areas within a parish, including school zones and parks. Even concealed weapon permit owners are prohibited by law from carrying in these areas.

What you're making is a philosophical point that has been tested through the courts and the laws against open carry in prohibited areas have been upheld. Just to make sure I checked with a former West Feliciana Parish deputy and he verified what I said: do not bring firearms into public parks, it is illegal to do so.

banned
    You and Barney are both wrong.

Open carry:

Prohibited Locations
    95.6. Firearm-free zone; notice; signs; crime; penalties
    A. A "firearm-free zone" is an area inclusive of any school campus and within one thousand feet of any such school campus, and within a school bus.
    B. The provisions of this Section shall not apply to:
    (1) A federal, state, or local law enforcement building.
    (2) A military base.
    (3) A commercial establishment which is permitted by law to have firearms or armed security.
    (4) Private premises where a firearm is kept pursuant to law.
    (5) Any constitutionally protected activity within the firearm-free zone, such as a firearm contained entirely within a motor vehicle.
    C. For purposes of this Section:
    (1) "School" means any public or private elementary, secondary, high school, or vocational-technical school, college, or university in this state.
    (2) "School campus" means all facilities and property within the boundary of the school property.
    (3) "School bus" means any motor bus being used to transport children to and from school or in connection with school activities.
    D. The local governing authority which has jurisdiction over zoning matters in which each firearm-free zone is located shall publish a map clearly indicating the boundaries of each firearm-free zone in accordance with the specifications in Subsection A. The firearm-free zone map shall be made an official public document and placed with the clerk of court for the parish or parishes in which the firearm-free zone is located.
    E. The state superintendent of education, with the approval of the State Board of Elementary and Secondary Education, and the commissioner of higher education, with the approval of the Board of Regents, shall develop a method by which to mark firearm-free zones, including the use of signs or other markings suitable to the situation. Signs or other markings shall be located in a visible manner on or near each school and on and in each school bus indicating that such area is a firearm-free zone and that such zone extends to one thousand feet from the boundary of school property. The state Department of Education shall assist each approved school with the posting of notice as required in this Subsection.
    F.(1) It is unlawful for any person to cover, remove, deface, alter, or destroy any sign or other marking identifying a firearm-free zone as provided in this Section.
    (2) Whoever violates the provisions of this Subsection shall be fined not more than one thousand dollars or imprisoned for not more than six months, or both.
    Acts 1992, No. 197, 1; Acts 1993, No. 844, 1; Acts 1993, No. 1031, 1.

Concealed carry:

Prohibited Locations
    R.S. 40:1379.3 (N) states that no concealed handgun may be carried into and no concealed handgun permit issued pursuant to this Section shall authorize or entitle a permittee to carry a concealed handgun in any of the following:

1) A law enforcement office, station, or building;
    2) A detention facility, prison, or jail;
    3) A courthouse or courtroom, provided that a judge may carry such a weapon in his own courtroom;
    4) A polling place;
    5) A meeting place of the governing authority of a political subdivision;
    6) The state capitol building;
    7) Any portion of an airport facility where the carrying of firearms is prohibited under federal law, except that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, if the firearm is encased for shipment, for the purpose of checking such firearm as lawful baggage;
    8) Any church, synagogue, mosque or similar place of worship;
    9) A parade or demonstration for which a permit is issued by a governmental entity;
    10) Any portion of the permitted area of an establishment that has been granted a Class A-General retail permit, as defined in Part II of Chapter 1 or Part II of Chapter 2 of Title 26 of the Louisiana Revised Statutes of 1950, to sell alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises.
    11) Any school "firearm free zone" as defined in R.S. 14:95.6.
    Last edited by eauxgod; 10-12-2011 at 12:07 PM.