Wanderer
    Mar 2010

Working in Detroit, where to live for a mtb/motorcyclist/fisherman HELP

I just found out I'll be moving to Detroit from Central Washington for work for roughly 3 years. I have never been to this area and I was hoping I could get some input as to where to live and be close to some decent mtb trails/ outdoor recreation and still have a reasonable commute into city daily for work.

Does something like this exist? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
    Steve

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Visit the mmba.org site, trail guides, maps, locations, reviews, forum to ask the locals about possible housing questions.

ride like you stole it
    Nov 2007
    south lyon, lots of lakes and trails around the area.
    I lubed my disc brakes because they squeaked.
    Man was that fun to work out

Black Sheep rising
    Where, exactly, will you be working? And what do you consider a "reasonable" commute?
    Let the market decide!

N42.58 W83.06

Wanderer
    Mar 2010
    I will be working on the Southeast side of town right off 75 at the Marathon Refinery.

By reasonable I would say between 30 and 45 minutes, anything closer would be a bonus. I just don't want to be in the city.

Thanks again for the help.
    Steve

Wanderer
    Mar 2010
    Hey guys,

I see this is getting quite a few views, even if you just give a direction to look out of town, a cool area you've seen or whatever would be a great start. Appreciate it.
    Steve

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    We live in Dearborn which is close to some trails by 30-40 minutes or more by car, road miles on Hines Drive ten minutes away by bike, two brew pubs within 15 minutes or so by car, and you can still gt downtown in 15 minutes by car if need be.

Just ride
    Jul 2009
    Royal Oak, Novi, and Farmington Hills area would be great options. If mid 30s or under and single, Royal Oak would be great. Livonia might not be a bad choice either. Definitely a bit closer to Marathon.

All four should put you within 40 minutes of the factory - depending on traffic of course.

I honestly don't know much about cities closer to Marathon. I've only lived here 5 years - all North of 96 / 696.

All four would also put you under 50 minutes from Pontiac Lake, Holly, and my local favorite, Highland Rec. Novi Tree Farm would obviously be very close if you lived in Novi, Livonia, or Farmington Hills.

Hard Tail
    South Lyon is a great outdoors area, but its going to be too far of a commute to that refinery. You could live in Canada and commute, check out that option. Otherwise Royal Oak is a good pic. Only problem is most the riding is in Brighton, South Lyon,Pontiac, Northville, Novi. Plymouth is a nice little town between the western trails and your work, 39 minute commute.
    Royal Oak is the younger hip type restaurant bar area.
    Plymouth is the smaller family oriented small town.
    Need any help PM me, lived here 39 years.

mtbr member
    I lived in Detroit for 35 years and think Plymouth or even Livonia would be your best bet to get over to the Brighton area to ride and still be within a reasonable commute to the refinery. It has been 6 years since I lived up there but my favorite trail in SE MI was Island Lake http://www.dnr.state.mi.us/parksandt...=462&type=SPRK

If you like to boat/fish more and are willing to drive 45 min. to mtb, consider St. Clair Shores or Grosse Pointe. Lake St. Clair is a real bonus to living in the Detroit area.