mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Winter Riding in the U.P.?

Hey I live in Missouri, but am going to be spending a couple weeks in the U.P. during January. How am I going to get my MTB fix with all that snow on the ground?
    Any advice from the locals? I have a hardtail 29'er and a hardtail 26'er. I know some of you guys up there ride all winter right?
    ER

edit. I will be staying in Marquette.

mtbr member
    Are you talking about road riding?? I hope so because at this time of the year there is normally copious amounts of snow on the ground. Below is some live web cams from our area. Weíre 100 miles NW of Marquette and usually have a tab more snow than they. We XC, cross country ski all winter.

http://www.admin.mtu.edu/urel/cams/trails1/still.html
    Arly a tandem Nerd, Who rides them, loves them, so we sell them. superiortandems.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    In other words, there's too much snow to use the trails ehh.... I don't road bike
    Wait, maybe I phrased that wrong... I don't road bike That sucks about the snow

mtbr member
    Good ole mtu webcams. I miss that place.

mtbr member
    btw, how's this year looking for snow in the keweenaw? i'm pretty disappointed by my first winter living in CO this year after numerous trips out here in the past.

mtbr member
    Itís been pretty good snow wise and we were skiing by early November. We just got over a short warm spell but we skied our trails, Maasto & Churning Rapids today and found them still in great shape. Itís since cooled off and snowing again daily. We canít comment on the ski hills since we donít do the DH thing. The paper says we've had 100 inchs so far. Why did you leave??
    Arly a tandem Nerd, Who rides them, loves them, so we sell them. superiortandems.com

mtbr member
    Hummmm you should enjoy your stay and go XCing. Get a ski lesson and have some fun! Strange that some of use moved here for the wonderful weather we can ride in all summer. Then XC ski all winter.
    Last edited by arly; 12-26-2007 at 04:33 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    XC = Cross Country Skiing or XC= XC Mtbing?

www.teamstumpyracing.com
    I live in marquette, I rode snowmobile trails this weekend on my cyclocross bike. We do have snow but it's cold enough that when it gets packed down its like dirt. If your looking to ride for fitness that will work, if you like the nice trails, snowshoes are the best bet. Enjoy!
    www.teamstumpyracing.com

mtbr member
    Did you guys get any rain there over the weekend?? We got about an inch over Friday, Sat and Sunday. But we got about 4 inches of snow today so the trails are in wonderful shape again. Hope all is well in Marquette. Oh and your Marquette MT trail rocks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Take your bike for sure. Lots of dirt roads you can rally if your just looking to get out and spin. If there was a dirt road within 20 miles of here(SLC) I would be cruisin it right now! Can't wait to come home and ride in Marquette next summer!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Never stop because of snow

I lived in Sault Ste. Marie for 10 years and went off road every day, no matter what was falling or how cold. If you live to chew dirt, don't let a little fluffy snow keep you from your duty! There are plenty of groomed snowmobile trails that will support fat tires, but you must be on the look-out for snowmobilers. Also, be wary of falling of triails on the lea side of trees as hidden cavities in the drifts can swalow you whole; I have had to dig out a couple of times. I started as the only one, but by the end of year 2, I had a group of 7 others who followed. If you go over to Canada there are mountains! West side of UP is better than East, especially around Porcupine Mountains (Winter or Summer) .

You can freeze your tires and brake pads (TG for disc brakes!), and your chain and derailleur will ice-up. You can get a bit of frostbite in your lungs, but nothing in my experience beats the solitude and quiet of the UP. Where else are you going to be able to traverse the tops of beaver dams? The winters are incredible! I miss it! Tahoe rocks in the winter too!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Rode a bit around KI Sawyer where I was staying.... it was pretty cold. I'm definetly not used to the -20 windchills I had to endure. Also spent a lot of time on Marquette Mountain. The drive back to missouri was brutal though. Overall a good trip.
    Thanks guys.

mtbr member
    Were you able ride the Marquette mountain bike trails?? Gee whiz if you did those folks sure have less snow than us! Attached is a recent photo of us on one of our trails. Glad you have fun while visiting da UP!
    Attached Images Attached Images

jalopy jockey
    Jun 2007
    Looks like you shoveled the bridge the night before. That can't be much more than a foot, aka Light flurries

mtbr member
    Not by us! Although Copper Harbor does received less snow that us, Houghton has rolled over the 150 inch mark for the season. If you care to see more CH trail photos winter and summer just go the MTBR gallery. Or look at ours at http://tinyurl.com/yedwox Hope we see you up for a ski or ride with us! We like trols too!!