mtbr member
    Jun 2006

What bike to bring for Highland Rec

Im going to be going up there next weekend to visit family and planning on riding for a few hours. The course says technical and rocky, but the reviews say its mainly just tight turns. My choices are either 5" travel Raliegh Ram or a singlespeed Hardrock. I'd prefer to ride the Hardrock since which ever I take will be locked to the be of the truck but out in the open. Im comfortable on either bike, just wondering which would be more suited to the trail since I dont want to beat myself up the the hardtail.

mtbr member
    It's rocky and rooty with short, sometimes steep climbs. I would vote for the FS bike if you've never ridden there before since you'll have the gears if needed. The trail never seems to let up...it's up, down, left, right, rock, root, repeat....The SS would be a challenge but the trail is do-able if you're up to it....but like I said...it doesn't let up very much. As far as HT versus FS just on getting beat up...it's fine on a hardtail or FS bike....but it's a workout either way....

Justin
    Ventana Pantera (FS)
    Redline Monocag (SS)
    LeMond Poprad (Cross)
    Vassago Bandersnatch (29er)

www.teamtreefarm.com

on the other side
    My vote is for the FS bike, too. Like Apps said, the trail doesn't let up much. I've taken both a HT and a FS out there and with a HT you will take a bit of a beating.
    There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart
    ...pursue those.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Thanks for the suggestions. Since it looks like rain on Monday Ill probably take the Hardrock and just put bigger tires on it since it just has semi slicks on it. I dont feel like leaving the Raliegh in the rain for a 200 mile drive.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 97 ATX 2.0L
    Thanks for the suggestions. Since it looks like rain on Monday Ill probably take the Hardrock and just put bigger tires on it since it just has semi slicks on it. I dont feel like leaving the Raliegh in the rain for a 200 mile drive.

Did you ride Highland? Howd that work out for you? I rode it for the first time last weekend and it beat me up a bit.