mtbr member
    Nov 2005

In Western Michigan, where to ride

Coming up to Michigan from Georgia to stay with girlfriends family July 3rd - July 9th. We are staying in East Grand Rapids for a few days, up to a cabin in Manistee a few days, the back to East Grand Rapids. I can probably going to try to get in 2 or 3 rides. I dont know how close Big M area is to Manistee but the plan is to do a big ride at the Big M trails while up at the cabin. Never ridden there but I found a map of the trails online. While staying in Grand Rapids is there anywhere to ride somewhat close by? Maybe within 30 minutes? Looking for the best riding possible close to the area.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    If you only get a couple rides I would probably do the Cannonsburg game area and Edward's Creek out in Greenville. Greenville might be a little longer than 30 minutes, but it's a fun trail. Another one that I like is the trail over at the Cannonsburg ski hill. There are a few more nearby but those are my favorite 3 local trails.

Check out mmba.org for some directions if you need them

Yankee Springs is about 20 mins from GR and Fort Custer is about 45. Both are south so you could drive down and hit the Custer in the morning and then Yankee on the drive back.

Frito had it right, check the MMBA website and see what you think.

HTFU and Ride
    Luton Park, CSGA, and Cannonsburg Ski Area are all close
    http://mmba.org/index.php?option=com...task=trail&cid[]=99
    http://mmba.org/index.php?option=com...task=trail&cid[]=22
    http://mmba.org/index.php?option=com...task=trail&cid[]=42

you can ride them all (or ride from one to the others if you are fit enough)
    Winter is coming.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Thanks for the replys!

I am no slouch so if I decided to go to the Cannonsburg Ski Area is it somewhat easy to link them up? I dont mind getting on some paved road but would rather not if they somehow link up easy enough.

In case I can only ride one, Yankee Springs or Custer, which is better?

Out of the two options above, Cannonsburg area or the Yankee/Custer duo, which is the best singletrack. Long climbs dont bother me or short one for that matter. Just want to check out Michigans best singletrack around the area I am in.

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    The Cannonsburg ski area and Cannonsburg game area are 2 different trails. The ski hill trail is actually at the ski hill while the game area is few miles away down Egypt Valley road. The ski area is all one trail, but the game area is broken into 4 sections. The road sections between them are really short, so it's not a big deal.

I know the entrance to each trail is marked after the road sections, but I don't think there are any signs telling you to go right or left to get to it on the road. Either way it's pretty simple, and I would ride the game area over the ski hill most days.

HTFU and Ride
    cant go wrong with yankee or custer. yankee is a little closer to G-Rap and has some really nice stuff.

if you stick in the cannonsburg area dont skip luton park. it is in GREAT shape and has great flow. not as techy as some of the stuff at yankee but it is just a fun trail. out of the cannonsburg area trails i like luton then the ski area then the game area. hoping to ride all three on sunday if my knee is feeling better.
    Winter is coming.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by teamplayr
    I dont know how close Big M area is to Manistee but the plan is to do a big ride at the Big M trails while up at the cabin.
    Manistee is my hometown - just headed back north from there yesterday. Big M is about 20min from town and is definitely worth the ride. They've got a bunch of trails and all of them are over the rolling Udell Hills. You should definitely make the climb (yes, on the bike. ) to the top of Capper's Peak while there too - there is a pretty cool view from up there.

The only downside to the trails for me is that there is a lot of loose sand, which is a pretty big difference from the dirt I'm used to (the hard packed clay/dirt and rocks of the UP). Don't get me wrong, I love riding at Big M, but it's just different from my typical ride (which is good too, I guess).

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    Always have been a fan of Custer. Was a bit longer of a drive from Indiana, but always seemed worth it.

Normally would link up a Red Green loop and then decide what to do next. Some hills, decent amount of speed, and lots of flow and grins. A bit of sand, but I've ridden much worse.

Have not made it to all the other trails, the Big M is on the radar, but just have not made it there yet.

JmZ
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

mtbr member
    The good trails are all East of US131. Custer, CSGA, CSR, Fort Custer.
    What am I going to do with forty subscriptions to Vibe?

Quote Originally Posted by teamplayr

In case I can only ride one, Yankee Springs or Custer, which is better?

Thanks in advance.
    Yankee will give you 12 miles of riding. Custer will give you 16 if you ride both the red and green loops. Yankee is a lot of fun but can be really sandy in spots. Custer has it's sandpits but not nearly as bad as Yankee. Yankee is also more of a natural trail where Custer has some wicked manmade stuff. Like I said before, you could do both if you got 5-6 hours of free time.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I ended up getting to ride 4 days while up there. The first day was spent at Yankee Springs. Pretty good trail, except for the massive amounts of sand. Holy crap! Some fun little sections that ended quickly due to the huge sand pits. Sand just seemed to break up a lot of the potential flow. Probably should have drove the additional miles to Ft. Custer but maybe next time. Rode 3 full laps out at yankee and was spent. Those sand pits take it out of you along with being hung over in weather that felt like I was back in Georgia.

2nd ride was at Big M. Did all the inner and outer trails and repeated some sections for about 3.5 hours of riding. Nothing technical but really fun. I wish I had a 29er for this trail because you could just get the bike up to speed and hold it for as long as you could stand it. Nothing really in the way of uphills except for the portion near the end of the outer trail and the sandy doubletrack to the overlook but the short hills seemed harder due to the fact that the throttle was down the whole time. Good Times.

3rd ride was easy ride with the girlfriend at Mackinac Island on paved and short little paths in the interior. Enough Said. On the way home from Mackinac we drove by Boyne Mountain. Didnt have the time to ride but looked promising due to the terrain and elevation.

Last ride I was short on time so I ran over to the Cannonsburg ski area. Spent a little over 2 hours riding since I needed to be back. Did a lap at the ski area, took the road over to the state game trail and did a full lap out there then rode back to the ski area to do one more lap there. Liked both of these trails. Fast and flowy. Although short, I think I liked the ski area the best. Didnt get a chance to scoot over to Luton. Maybe next time as well.

Thanks for all the information. Maybe next summer i can ride some more stuff.