mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Watersmeet Riding Suggestions

I don't know why I didn't ask here sooner. Anyways, heading up to Watersmeet for a couple of days (tomorrow) and will bring my cyclocross bike. I know, I don't own an MTB (yet?) as I mostly do road & cross. Anyways, my bike will be my only mode of transportation up there and was wondering where I can get in some decent riding. I will be staying on Beaver Station Lake off of 45, about 8 miles north of Land O' Lakes. My guess is there are a lot of fire/logging access roads that are dirt/gravel. That is fun, especially when all I have here in chicago is a park or concrete.

There was one topic in here that someone was going up to the same area, but they were heading further south to do riding (Razor something or other, copper this and copper that). I won't be able to get to those locations unfortunately. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nixternal View Post
    There was one topic in here that someone was going up to the same area, but they were heading further south to do riding (Razor something or other, copper this and copper that). I won't be able to get to those locations unfortunately. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!
    Copper Harbor is north, out at the tip of the Keweenaw. It's become a regional destination for mountain-bikers.

You'll be in the Ottawa National Forest. If it's anything like the Hiawatha, it'll be riddled with old doubletrack that'll be fun to ride on a cyclocross bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2003

Watersmeet Trails

Welcome to Wilderness Lakes Trails

This is the bicycling system that they have been promoting down there. I haven't ridden it but I believe its partially path, partially roads with maybe some gravel/dirt road and multiuse trail options.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
    Copper Harbor is north, out at the tip of the Keweenaw. It's become a regional destination for mountain-bikers.

You'll be in the Ottawa National Forest. If it's anything like the Hiawatha, it'll be riddled with old doubletrack that'll be fun to ride on a cyclocross bike.
    Actually, it is riddled with all kinds of MTB trails, some not suited for a cross bike. Tons of double track, a lot of single track, a lot of big rocky and rutty climbs and decents. I was really impressed with that area. There were 2 MTB'ers out there and they said it is their little hidden gem. They were back, just north of Allen Lake and just east of 45 on some trail. Definitely need a buddy system back there, as the bears & wolves scared the crap out of me

FYI, anyone brings this up in the future about cross bikes, the ATV/snowmobile trails are freakin' amazing! So much up & down climbing.