Thread: Wait Wait Wait

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Wait Wait Wait

Ok just wanted to put this out there for people that dont know.

Pleae wait to ride trails during the thaw!!!!!!!

It is important because riding on a muddy trail is very very damaging and frustrating to those that work on the trails . I know its hard but just be patient and it will pay off.

And for those that know this just be supportive and teach those that dont know.

Cheers and have a safe and happy riding season.

DynoDon
    For alternatives from the trails. Dirt road riding is good for spring riding, the trails will not only be muddy, nobody has cleared most trails of fallen trees, branches, washes etc. yet.
    We have a great 3 sided sled hill near my home on Edward Hines Park in Dearborn Heights that gives me great workouts most of the year, I get climbing pratice there, and stamina from dirt road riding.

mtbr member
    For now I am riding roads on my HT when I can and starting next week I will be riding Clinton River rail trail. 30-miles sessions are good to get ready for the Highland/PLRA/Poto season)

Klydesdale
    Feb 2005
    "Please wait to ride during the thaw"???

You might want to re-word that because that sounds exactly like what some knuckleheads do.... They wait all winter and then go ride during the thaw.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I think you just did it for me :-)

mtbr member
    May 2010
    What thaw?!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Yeah no crap man this is getting ridiculous

DynoDon
    This reading is from this morning Monday 3/28/2011,

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/dtx/maps.php

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Oh my still froze at 2 inches this is crazy, warm up already!!!

DynoDon
    Monday 4/4/2011 Frost Perks

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by manabiker
    Monday 4/4/2011 Frost Perks

what the hell does that mean???? 41??? how bout, go, no go? so the idea is to wait till the ground is dry right? not just when the snow's melted?

oh sorry, detroit area.

DynoDon
    That should give you an idea of when the water can drain into the soil, it can't get past the frost so it piles ontop, every trail is different and who knows where they perked, in a field or in the woods? but at least it is some info, Tipton looks like its able to drain, that is the southern most spot on the graph, with the warm rain it probably moves north,
    I think the idea is wait until the frost is out so the water can drain down into the soil, I'm not making any call for anyone but myself I just provided the information. I know there is a race at Pontiac the 23rd of April, I want to get some miles in. I'm going to Pontiac tomorrow to look it over.. Happy Trails

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by manabiker
    That should give you an idea of when the water can drain into the soil, it can't get past the frost so it piles ontop, every trail is different and who knows where they perked, in a field or in the woods? but at least it is some info, Tipton looks like its able to drain, that is the southern most spot on the graph, with the warm rain it probably moves north,
    I think the idea is wait until the frost is out so the water can drain down into the soil, I'm not making any call for anyone but myself I just provided the information. I know there is a race at Pontiac the 23rd of April, I want to get some miles in. I'm going to Pontiac tomorrow to look it over.. Happy Trails
    well perferct your in my neck of the woods. so the number is the depth of the freezing point? as in frosen down to XXinches? Im just trying to understand this. I know wet trails will degrade fast so I have no problems waiting to the trails are ready for riders, but I'd like to know what is/isnt. so do I got it right?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I went to Fort Custer yesterday and it was great riding and not in the least bit muddy and my new Weirwolfs were amazing.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Rode the Poto last night. It was in GREAT shape. Go get some!

DynoDon
    I knew I should have gone last night, I've been out there a few times, the low spots are a bit wet but they always are, I've been riding in the mornings when it was still frozen. The Poto sucks it up pretty good, except for the back section over D 32, I haven't been going over there yet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Yeah Fort Custer is a rail right now its amazing

Klydesdale
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by zgjp82
    Yeah Fort Custer is a rail right now its amazing
    Pontiac Lake was most excellent yesterday as well.

The soil temperature measurements referred to earlier here included ones taken at the National Weather Service (NWS) White Lake office, which is literally right across the street from PLRA. I've been watching them in the spring for several years now and they're a fairly accurate guide to when the trail will be ready for riding without risk of pizza-cutter tracks. Once the soil temps get above freezing, all it takes is a few warmer, drier days for the trail to turn from sloppy to wonderful.

DynoDon
    No frost on this report