mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Visitors from Alaska

Hello Michigan folks!

My wife and I will be visiting her family in the Harbor Springs/Petoskey area mid October and I wanted to ask you folks about anything we should for sure see/do while we are there. I always ask the locals on the forum when visiting somewhere as it's the best and most trusted source I've found yet.

Hope you folks can help us out.

Thanks in advance!

Pat

mtbr member
    Pat,

Haven't ridden any trails in that area, but http://mmba.org/ would probably be a better place to post your question.

Doug

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Thanks!

Thanks and I'll check it out.

Just as an added tidbit, my wife's grandfather was Nub Sarns, founder of Nubs Nob ski area near Petoskey. I don't get to share that very often....

Pat

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by patirwin
    Thanks and I'll check it out.

Just as an added tidbit, my wife's grandfather was Nub Sarns, founder of Nubs Nob ski area near Petoskey. I don't get to share that very often....

Pat
    There's a new XC MTB race at Nubs Nob in October called "The Crybaby Classic". Maybe dropping some names could get you some high chairlift seat viewing?

DynoDon
    Oct is Color time in Michigan,
    http://www.michigan.org/Places-to-Go...ult.aspx?m=9;1

here is the MMBA site so you can search out places to ride.
    http://www.mmba.org/

Happy Trails

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Thanks again

Thanks guys for your suggestions. I think I can now plan a fun visit.

If any of you are ever in AK don't hesitate to use our forum for info. It's a very active site.

Pat

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Will you have bikes with you? If so, the North Country trail sections by Boyne and of Kip road in Petoskey are killer.

The Tunnel of Trees (Route M119) will be spectacular in full color in mid October. It's a narrow winding road that runs along the shore in deep old growth forest. Bike or car will give you spectacular views.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    My home town area, another Michigander in AK! Take some pictures for me Pat!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Ok

JordyB, I'll be sure to take lots of pics as it'll be nice to see fall colors again. We just don't get them in Homer.

As for riding M119, that's is the plan as my inlaws are from Cross Village. Nice area and we look forward to seeing it again. We won't have our own bikes so we're planning on renting whatever is available, not being too picky. I'm thinking a decent hybrid to hit the tamer sections of the North Country Trail and some road riding along the shore.
    We only have 5 days to visit family we haven't seen in 5 yrs and recover with rides thrown in the mix.

Thanks for all your ideas

Pat

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

MI Jersey

In addition to visiting family in Harbor Springs/Nub's Nob, we also own www.freespiritwear.com and we'll be getting ideas for a Michigan jersey. Check out our site to see what sort of jerseys my wife designs and feel free to give us your ideas for a MI jersey.

Thanks and look forward to seeing you all soon

Pat

DynoDon
    I see alot of landscapes on those shirts, Michigan was covered with trees when the first Europeans came here, they cut them down and tried to farm it, then figured out how good it is for trees, Cherry trees, Christmas trees, Apple trees, Fruit trees of all types, Maple trees for syrup, trees just for color tours, all sorts of trees, Hartwick Pines has the only virgin forest left in the state, they also have some mountain bike trails there, and it's close to where you will be visiting, the logging camp is still there to see, along with 300+ft trees, some landscapes with our trees in one form or another would be much better then man made objects.
    Mackinac Island was never mentioned for biking and it's a great place for the whole family, it's still open in Oct. Lots of trees there too, and no cars/trucks, here a couple of web sites.

http://www.stateparks.com/hartwick_pines.html

http://www.mackinacisland.org/gettinghere.html