mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Visiting Michigan Tech

Hello,

I will be visiting Michigan Tech for two weeks, 6/28/2009-7/10/2009 and heard that the area is great for mountain biking. So much so that I was considering taking apart my bike and taking it with me. (I have some experience with flying with bikes, biked around half the world for a year about 10 years ago) After checking the associated fees I tend to choose otherwise. Can anyone recommend a good bike shop that will rent a decent HT/FS bike?
    Also, if anyone is interested in showing me around (especially over the 4th of July weekend) it would be greatly appreciated!! I will be glad to reward with a cold beer and entertain/bore-you-to-death with stories of MTB from the Far East, Middle East, New Zealand and from New-Mexico, where I currently reside with my wife... I usually ride about 3-4 times a week, mostly XC with some light free-ride sections.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

Aviad.

mtbr member
    Hello Aviad

Glad to have you in town for a few week and hope you enjoy your stay here. We just PMed you a similar note. Many of our cohorts work at tech, although we don’t, we do reside just a few blocks from there. Below are the three bikes shops in town and I believe the top two rent bikes. I’d guess they rent lower level bikes and all these shops so have some kind of web site.

Cross country sports info@crosscountrysports.com
    Downwind sports. gear@downwindsports.com

Or The Bike shop caleb@goridebikes.com

We should be able to get out with you while you’re in town. If you care to see area trail photos look for Mi Tech, Maasto, Churning Rapids, Swedetown and Copper Harbor. We have about 150 miles of single track around these parts.

Hope we see you on the trails!
    Arly a tandem Nerd, Who rides them, loves them, so we sell them. superiortandems.com

ride like you stole it
    Nov 2007
    If your up in copper harbor I know the Keweenaw Adventure Company rents out bikes.

http://www.keweenawadventure.com/
    I lubed my disc brakes because they squeaked.
    Man was that fun to work out

mtbr member
    We didnít mention Samís shop because its 40 miles out of town.

QUOTE=spcarter]If your up in copper harbor I know the Keweenaw Adventure Company rents out bikes.

http://www.keweenawadventure.com/[/QUOTE]
    Arly a tandem Nerd, Who rides them, loves them, so we sell them. superiortandems.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    There is a calandar for rides open to the public on the keweenaw trekkers site
    http://www.admin.mtu.edu/~rbdalqui/ Don't over look the kids ride. I can't keep up with the fastest group anymore.
    Rich

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Thank you all so much!!

I will check all of the websites and will be in contact with you once I'll know more about what my schedule is going to be like.

Thanks again!
    Aviad