Single Track Addict

Visiting Dearborn at the end of July: any good local singletrack?

My wife and I are attending a wedding the weekend of July 30-31.
    We'll be in town from Friday through Sunday, possibly Monday.
    Convince me to bring my bike.
    Will ride singletrack for food...

DynoDon
    There are some great trials around here, I rate the Potawami #1, check out mmbr.com then trail guide, this will give you an idea of where the trails are,

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...,11.755371&z=7

Maybury is the closest one, Pontiac Lake, Stoney Ridge, Murry Lake/Torn Shirt, lots of good ones.. and most have lakes near by to jump in for a cool down... Happy Trails
    Four wheels transport the body,

Two wheels transport the soul !!!!

It's all about the FSR!
    Don't forget Island Lake or Lakeshore (Tree Farm)....both are must rides.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Come ride the Poto! It's a bit far from Dearborn, but not much further than driving out to Island Lake.

b a n n e d
    Lakeshore is a really great trail, and not too far from Dearborn. Poto is also really awesome (so is Ann Arbor in general).

I'd pass on Maybury personally . . . there are much better trails out there.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    See I like maybury more than lakeshoree. Lakeshore had log piles and skinnies but the trail seemed very flat and drawn out.

b a n n e d
    My problem with Maybury was that its such a short trail that you gotta do like 3 laps to get a decent run in, and I really don't care much for passing the same scenery twice. Plus, there were WAY more people at Maybury than Lakeshore.

I don't think that that the tree farm is all that flat either . . . but at the same time, I agree that there's really not very much grade. I can only think of one section there that was somewhat of a climb. And I do agree that there are WAY too many switchbacks . . . still had a blast there though every time!
    Last edited by 007; 07-09-2011 at 04:22 PM.

It's all about the FSR!
    I have never ridden Maybury, so I can't comment on it. Tree Farm is just a blast. There are quite a few stunts to ride, and the single track flows nicely. I really cannot complain at all about this trail. The work that has been done on this trail is impressive. I would put this near the top of my must ride list in Michigan.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    [QUOTE=bulletboy; .
    Convince me to bring my bike. [/QUOTE]

Ride Maybury, it's only about 25 minutes from Dearborn, and a good trail, trail markers indicate 5.75 miles long.
    Use the 8 Mile Rd. entrance. Start at the closest trail head. There are 2, the other is near the Beck Rd. entance. After about 2 or 3 miles, the trail forks. Take the trail that forks to the left, the "A" loop. You will end a few yards from where you started.
    Please post back and let me know how much you enjoyed the trail.

http://mmba.org/index.php?option=com...task=trail&cid[]=5

http://mmba.org/library/maps/maybury/maybury_map.pdf

DynoDon
    bulletboy what type of trails do you like to ride?? we have everything from expert to beginner trails in the area, short trails, long trail, some with other trails adjoining them, there are many trails close together if you want to put on some miles, if you want to ride with someone let me know, I dont' work, I ride most days. Happy Trails

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I would definitely check out Poto.

mtbr member
    May 2011

Couple of good trails

Maybury is a good one to check out and so is Pinckney-Potawatomi trail

Single Track Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by manabiker View Post
    bulletboy what type of trails do you like to ride?? we have everything from expert to beginner trails in the area, short trails, long trail, some with other trails adjoining them, there are many trails close together if you want to put on some miles, if you want to ride with someone let me know, I dont' work, I ride most days. Happy Trails
    I'm here with my bike. I'm sending a PM with my number. I'm free to ride tomorrow. (Friday)

Single Track Addict

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Lakeshore/ Tree farm Directions? GPS? HELP!

Lakeshore (Tree Farm) directions?

It seems this is a good option, but I have no idea where it is...

It's all about the FSR!
    Lakeshore Park

Map and a little breakdown of the trail.

Single Track Addict
    Thanks,

I just talked to Manabiker and it looks like we're going to be riding "Poto".

I'll post pics.

It's all about the FSR!
    Be prepared to climb, a lot.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Fluid View Post
    Be prepared to climb, a lot.
    Its funny . . . climbing has a whole new meaning now that I live in CA. I'd be curious to see of anyone has a GPS route on Poto showing the elevation . . . .

DynoDon
    There is only about 1,800 foot of elevation on the Poto, mostly short technical climbs, but there are also at least 8 lakes, numerious creeks, cannals, ponds, so many trees the sun is a rare sight, deer, turkeys, hawks, owls, swans, turtles, and other wildlife to enjoy, nothing like jumping in Blind Lake, a 85 ft deep cool springfed lake on the trail, (Silver Lk, Pickeral Lk, Goslin Lk, and Crooked Lk, are spring fed also), or jump in any of the other lakes during or after a ride. There are 3 loops on the Poto, 18.5 miles, 1.9 miles and 8.5 miles, I found a trail off the main trail that goes to Hell, Mi to the ice cream shop, store, or Dam Site Inn. Hell of a great place to ride, I think bulletboy enjoyed the ride, I had a good time showing off one of our best trails. Its a love or hate trail, more people seem to love it, I sure do, I've been going out to Hell/Pinckney for more then 60 years for water skiing, fishing, cross country sking, ice fishing, swimming, mountain biking, just for a place to ride the motorcycle to, and enjoy the place. Please tell me to,"go to Hell",, I will soon!! and I'll love it..
    Happy Trails

Single Track Addict
    I lied. I didn't take a single pic.

I was concentrating on SURVIVING.

I hadn't been riding much lately, and this coupled with poor eating due to travel, lack of sleep, and the humidity just kicked my ass.

Thanks so much to Don "Manabiker" for picking me up and waiting for me to catch up.

The trails were very cool!

Like he said, not much extended climbing, just a whole bunch of punchy little climbs.

All in all a good time.

-Chris

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    Its funny . . . climbing has a whole new meaning now that I live in CA. I'd be curious to see of anyone has a GPS route on Poto showing the elevation . . . .
    Map:

Elevation (and speed):

Only 1700 feet or so of total climbing, but definitely tricky in spots. Copper Harbor has quite a bit more climbing but much easier in my opinion. Here's last years Fat Tire course:

3100 feet of climbing there but much easier than the Poto.

Glad the OP had fun out there!

b a n n e d
    Awesome! Thanks . . . . I plan to hit the Fat Tire next summer. Too soon planning wise to go this year.

What kind of bikes are people bringing to FT? HT? FS? How much travel?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I did the race last year on my 2007 Gary Fisher XCal. It's a hardtail 29er. This year I'm taking up my new 2011 Hifi Pro. Standard Cross country bikes are all that are really needed. I hear theres a new downhill course this year though so maybe bigger bikes are more necessary there. The last time I did a shuttle downhill run I did it on my XCal and kept up with the guys on beefier AM-type bikes.

DynoDon
    Thanks for the map/graph Chong, I could almost figure out where all the climbs I've given names to are,,LOL, I only name the difficult ones, and not nice names, though I've tamed most of them, I ride Poto quite a bit, I'm the old biker with the Harley/trailer for my mountain bike, gray hair in a long ponytail, best time to date is 1 hr 42 min, for the long trail. I just got a new Epic Comp 29er, and picked up 5 minutes, over my 26 in Epic Comp. I have plenty of room for improvement and will keep at it, I'm riding Highland Rec. tomorrow to get the 29 down on the tight stuff.. not bad times for a 65 yr old biker/biker!!!! I've only been riding trails seriously for a year now.
    Thanks again, Happy Trails

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by chong View Post
    I did the race last year on my 2007 Gary Fisher XCal. It's a hardtail 29er. This year I'm taking up my new 2011 Hifi Pro. Standard Cross country bikes are all that are really needed. I hear theres a new downhill course this year though so maybe bigger bikes are more necessary there. The last time I did a shuttle downhill run I did it on my XCal and kept up with the guys on beefier AM-type bikes.
    Good to know . . . all I have right now is a 5.5" travel AM rig (Santa Cruz BlurLT). Might just be the "reason" to get an new XC frame