Bikes are good

Visiting from Alaska

I have a lot of family in Michigan. (loved the place when I was a kid.) and I'm visiting this summer for a week. Is there riding worth bringing my bike down? It might cost 200 bucks, it might not. We'll be in Richmond, wherever that is, and I'll have a vehicle. I saw somewhere on a thread there was a bike park. Would that suffice? Is there an epic trail in Michigan I shouldn't miss while I'm there? Thanks for any help.

By the way. Do any of you know of Marlette Michigan? Almont? Brown City? Romeo? Some elementary school called Bee Mcdonald or something? Airport on a hill in Marlette surrounded by cemetery? A girl in Muskegon named Nicole something or other. Such fond memories.
    "Having lack of self-preservation makes biking more fun."

mtbr member
    We do have trails in Michigan, but I'm not familiar with the Richmond area. I suggest visiting mmba.org. Post your query in the forums there. Many of the MMBA members are in the Detroit Metro area, and you'll probably get some good responses.

Black Sheep rising
    What Jonathan said about mmba.org, and the closest trail to Richmond is probably Stony Creek. There are also several others well worth the ride.

BTW, there are also several shops from which you may rent a bike, if you don't wish to transport.

Let the market decide!

N42.58 W83.06

mtbr member
    Ruby Campground is also close to Richmond. Not exactly epic, but a fun ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I live in Richmond the Macomb Orchard trail starts in Richmond and you could ride all the way to Stoney Creek from there. Once in Stoney Creek there is a Freestyle Park along with various trails.

Tour guide, Trainer
    Unfortunately, the Richmond area is pretty devoid of trails. Even the cities you are talking about are devoid- the problem is the terrain up that direction gets flat and is almost all farmland. Ruby campground is about 30 minutes from Richmond, but it certainly is not worth $200 to get your bike here.

We in the MMBA are working to remedy this, and next year there will be a great trail within 5 miles of Richmond- however it is currently in planning/building stages.

It really depends on how far you wish to travel. Within an hour of Richmond there are 4 trails, Bloomer, Stony Creek, Addison Oaks, and Bald Mountain Rec area. A little extra travel gets you to Pontiac lake, and (in my opinion) one of the best trails in SE mi- Highland.

If you will have free time, and time to travel to some of these trails, I highly recommend bringing your bike- Also- Have it shipped ahead of time via UPS or Fedex ground. That should cost significantly less than the 200$ the airlines will charge.

You can get in touch with me when you get here if you would like, I run a tour guide service and can get you to any trail in the extended area. Knobbytiretours.com for additional info/reviews and such. Also, I have a medium hard tail trek 4900 with disc's that you could ride, if you would like to ride while here- but don't want to ship your own wheels down.

Jon