mtbr member
    Mar 2009

U.P. Singletrack?

Hi: I'm thinking of vacationing in the U.P. later this summer. Tent camping and riding. Suggestions for some camping, singletrack and pizza?
    Thanks!

Deadhead
    Mar 2004
    Marquette is where you want to go. Lots of trail close to town and a bunch more if you're willing to drive a little bit up to the Houghton/Hancock area and Copper Harbor. Tourist Park in Marquette is pretty quiet and has nice showers. And for pizza it's pretty hard to beat Up Front and Co downtown. Lots of other stuff to do in Marquette as well if you'll be in town for more than a couple days. Be sure to check out the local bike shops for group rides and trail info.
    "If you can get both wheels sliding with no brakes, that's when you really know that you're cookin." Nathan Rennie

ride like you stole it
    Nov 2007
    If you want XC go to Copper Harbor there's a state park close to the trail head. Its really awesome single track that is definitely worth the extra drive. You can also do some riding at the Tech/Nara trails in Houghton, Maasto Hiihto in Hancock, and Swedetown in Calumet on the way up/down if your up for it; they're all worth the trip.

If you want to do FR/DH go to Marquette. They have a ton of riding all over the place including mount marquette which used to have lift access (I'm pretty sure the lifts aren't running this summer).
    I lubed my disc brakes because they squeaked.
    Man was that fun to work out

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by spcarter
    If you want XC go to Copper Harbor there's a state park close to the trail head. Its really awesome single track that is definitely worth the extra drive. You can also do some riding at the Tech/Nara trails in Houghton, Maasto Hiihto in Hancock, and Swedetown in Calumet on the way up/down if your up for it; they're all worth the trip.
    +1 for riding the Keweenaw. There are a ton of trails up here, and lots of good places for camping. I'd probably stay at McClain State Park near Calumet. That way you'd be pretty much in the middle of the Keweenaw with easy access to most of the trails.

Oh yeah, and I'm pretty sure that one of the MTB magazines called Copper Harbor an "Epic Ride."

Here is a link about the trails up here: http://www.keweenawtrails.com/mountain.html

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Excellent interactive trail map with videos, elevation, etc... for the network in Copper Harbor: http://www.copperharbortrails.org/trails

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Did you make it up there? I love U.P. mtn biking!!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Went to Gogebic in the late seventies coming back for a visit next month.Going to ride Ironwood and Copper Harbour any other suggestions ? by the way I'm coming from Australia can't wait to get back to the UP !!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Michigan Tech trails are a must! Churning Rapids are fast and they flow well.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by coty
    Churning Rapids are definitely turning into my favorite trail system. Gotta love how that Pow-Pow/Great Oaks section flows.

Oh, and you get cool signs like this (forgive the crappy-ness of my phone camera) :

mtbr member
    I'm a Front Range rider from Colorado and visit my family here in da UP every summer. This is the first time that I rode in da UP in 15 years and I must say the single track is a good time. We rode the Marquette trails, Copper Harbor and the Tech trails. All were smooth and very windy. A good change from Colorado. Keep UP the good work on the trails, and thanks for a great time!!!
    Last edited by Lpcunity; 08-15-2010 at 07:57 PM.

Dirty South Underdog
    Quote Originally Posted by spcarter
    If you want to do FR/DH go to Marquette. They have a ton of riding all over the place including mount marquette which used to have lift access (I'm pretty sure the lifts aren't running this summer).
    I rode the South Marquette trails today & yeah, the lifts were closed, and the DH runs weren't mowed or kept up at all. Kinda sad looking, actually.
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

A bike brought me here!
    Quote Originally Posted by coty
    Churning Rapids are great! Marquette Co. have lots So does Alger county!

Check this out.....

http://www.uptrails.org/michigan-trail-maps.html

poikaa