mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Traverse City Trail Suggestions?

I'm going to be visiting T.C. area from Arizona the first week of September and would appreciate some trail suggestions. I ride a lot of SS in AZ (which I am assuming has a lot more climbing than MI but no trees) so I don't mind climbing but am really looking for some nice rolling trails where I can't get lost too easily! Any suggestions would really be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Vasa singletrack

Ride the Vasa singletrack, just east of Traverse City. Do not confuse with the Cross Country ski trails. http://mmba.org/index.php?option=com...task=trail&cid[]=20
    dm

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Anyone else? Anyone, anyone? Buehler, Buehler.......

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I would check out mmba.org and ask there. There are tons of trail guides and stuff.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    North Country Trail/Merilla Road
    Vasa is boooooooooring.
    LS

mtbr member
    IMHO the Vasa singletrack is great don't pass it up. The Vasa pathway can be rode but is geared for x-country skiing so it was kind of lifeless for me. Also try Arcadia Dunes and Big-M/NCT (North Country Trail) while not it T-city its worth the trip. Plenty of camping nearby. When in T-city I suggest Right Brain Brewery
    Cheers
    Looking at the cake is like looking at the future, until you have tasted it what do you really know? and then its too late.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    How about Owasippe?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Don't know.
    Never rode it.
    LS

mtbr member
    Owasippi's closed to bikes until further notice, unfortunately.

I'd recommend the Vasa Singletrack, for a fun, twisty generally flat ride close to town.

Make the trip to Arcadia Dunes--it's an IMBA-designed ten mile loop, really nice flow.

http://www.gtrlc.org/preserves/prese...#arcadia_dunes

The NCT offers some great riding but I haven't done enough of it to recommend one section over another. I don't doubt there are shops in TC that can offer advice tho.

mtbr member
    Vasa, and Arcadia Dunes. Arcadia Dunes is a blast, I don't think there is hardly a flat section there, just up and down. The first bit will get the blood flowing. I like Vasa for the speed and flows, I love AD for the downhills and workout.

DynoDon
    Arcadia Dunes is fairly new, just below Frankfort, Mi, on M-22 this is supposed to be one of the best in Michigan, if not the best, I'm going up next week to ride it..the 10 mile loop is the one I'm told that is GREAT, Happy Trails

Click on Trail Guide then Arcadia Dunes, I tried to go directly to the site but it wouldn't work,,

http://mmba.org/index.php?option=com...task=trail&cid[]=109

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Will you be on the west side or east side of Traverse City? The VASA single track is easy, no climbing and is a total sand pit for the first two miles. I can't recommend it because quite frankly its the worst the area has to offer. There are however lots of awesome alternate single track routes available off the same trail head on supply road. Thursday nights at 6:30 the cherry capitol club does a group ride with some guys that know all the alternate stuff quite well. If you are a fast beginner or a sport level rider you'll have no problem keeping up and you'll have a blast.

Arcadia, Lake Ann Pathway and the north country trail sections by hodenpyl dam, beers road and Marilla road are pretty easy to get to. Arcadia rolls and flows like a dream, not a lot of climbing, but the landscape is amazing and the way it rolls just puts a smile on my face every time. NCT is fun and lots of it rolls right next to the manistee river for spectacular views and some decent climbing.

If you are on the west side or feel like driving a bit more, there are some killer sections of North Country Trail up by Boyne and Petosky. Hanson Hills is a little more than an hour away in Grayling and is lots of fun. You can even jump in on a race Saturday morning that runs from Hartwick Pines to Hanson Hills. www.logsplitterchallenge.com

Enjoy your stay!