mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Trans UP by Snowmobile Trail

I am starting the planning phase for my next 3 week solo crossing of something in 2011 and the UP has caught my interest.

I have the following link http://www.upsnowmobiling.com/trail_maps.php.

I have spent 4 hours on the net without success trying to verify:

1. Which snowmobile trials are off road?

2. Which snowmobile trials allow mountain bike access in summer?

I would appreciate any input from those of you that ride the UP.

Thanks

ZIT30/34

DynoDon
    I've ridden part of the North Country Trail in lower Michigan, its a hiking trail that goes from NY to ND with around 800 miles in Michigan, it goes acrossed the UP, you may want to research and ride that trail. It. I'd like to ride it more, and the UP would have to be awesome, I think I'd bring along some BEAR spray. Good Luck, and Happy Trails

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Thank you very much!

ZIT30/34

mtbr member
    I live in Alger County. Most of the snowmobile system here is ridden freely by ATVs in the non-winter seasons. No one will gainsay you for pedaling a bicycle on the same trails.

There are a few exceptions. One that comes to mind is the segment through the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore. That segment is hiking only except in winter.

The NCT is worth looking in to as far as the U.P. in general. However, it's not an option for getting across Alger County. Pictured Rocks does not allow bikes at all, and the National Forest (sadly!) bans bikes on the NCT.

Lots of sand where I live. In some areas the snowmobile trail system is very sandy and it is easier to take alternate routes when on a bicycle.

PM me if you have specific questions about specific segments in my county. I'll make an effort to get you some answers.

And good luck! A trip across the U.P. would be great fun.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Thank you very much!

The planning portion of trip is as good as the trip it self in that I meet so many people such as your self who I almost always see in person on the trip!

ZIT30/34

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=ZIT30/34...in that I meet so many people such as your self who I almost always see in person on the trip![/QUOTE]

I look better on the Internet .

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    When confused, my friends ask me to smile so they can tell which end is the butt and which end is the ugly.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by ZIT30/34
    1. Which snowmobile trials are off road?
    2. Which snowmobile trials allow mountain bike access in summer?
    I would appreciate any input from those of you that ride the UP.
    ZIT30/34
    I was looking into a lot of this in the LP too. Moving up to Mount Plesant this fall from PA, and while there isn't a lot of single track right near my soon to be house, there seems like there could be some snow mobile trails, atv, etc. not far away, Not to mention enough gravel/dirt roads for some cool rides.

Good luck with your planning and keep us posted on your adventure.

j
    Former XXC Mag publisher (re)turned amateur bike blogger at The Soiled Chamois.

A bike brought me here!

From a Yooper...!

There are abandoned Rail Roads all over the U.P. of Michigan and many are used for snowmobiles and four wheelers. Most any can be used for MTBs and some are paved. There is a new trail system that will be parallel to ATV and Snowmobiles called the Iron Ore Heritage Trail. One of my last jobs took me all over the U.P. and Wisconsin and I can confirm the ability to travel from Sault Ste Marie to Ironwood on mainly old RR grades, many of the bridges are in great condition!
    The Ore to Shore Mountain Bike is held in Marquette county every August and uses some of the Heritage Trails. Here is the link to the Iron Ore Heritage Trail site.....

http://www.ironoreheritage.com/final/index.php

They continue to improve the trails by rebuilding bridges and installing culverts. There are several rough trails to be found. Here is another source....

http://www.uptrails.org/michigan-trail-maps.html

This should get you started on some great times and I have yet to make use of these!

poikaa