mtbr member

Are the trails rideable yet?

I don't want to destroy the trails, but, with the halfa** winter we have had and the un-seasonably warm weather over the last week I'm curious about riding in my region of the state. My wife passes by the Pinckney Rec area on her way to work and said she saw several bikes coming off the trail yesterday. The earth must have thawed, since it was barely frozen to begin with, and we haven't had a ton of rain so they must be mostly dry. So, has any one been out to check the trails yet? Brighton Rec., Pinckney Rec., Island Lake, Milford, or the Tree Farm....

Thanks for the info.

DynoDon
    I rode Hickory Glen (Commerce) Sunday, and yesterday, I also rode Potto yesterday, ( I didn't ride the Goslin loop, I went down D 32) they were in great shape, some small sticks down (derailleur breakers) I've stopped, and picked up, and moved many big trees, and pieces, some too big, other then that the trails were amazing, sand was packed, mud was nonexistant, the Hick was covered with leaves, so it was hard to see the trail, but yesterday it was better then Sunday, there is a big tree down in the back, and some kids built a soft sand hill, leaving a giant hole next to it, its just past the 2 1/2 mile marker on the first section.
    Snakes are out, frogs are chirping, bugs, butterflies, and I was lucky enough to be the first one out on Hick yesterday, many spider webs across the trail, riding season is early enjoy, the lower lying trail systems with clay may not be as good. When you stop to gasp for air, please pick up some derailler breaking sticks. Happy Trails
    Four wheels transport the body,

Two wheels transport the soul !!!!

Damn Fool
    Jul 2010
    As stated above, yes the trails are rideable.

Since this question comes up every year and I've got experience as a farmer and groundwater hydrologist, I've give a more general answer:

For the trails to be rideable, they need to dry out. This doesn't happen until the frost is out of the ground and the water can drain away through the soil. So how do you know when the frost is out? Go here.... NWS Detroit/Pontiac -- Observations and Summaries

Once you see that the soil temps are above freezing, you should be able to ride once things dry out.

Hope that helps,
    Tree Farmer
    It's not about being better than others, it's about getting the best out of myself.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Ive been ridin stony and parts of bloomer for over a week now and its been great. check out MMBA.ORG and head to the forums, while in the forums go to trail conditions and comments. people generally update them quite often this time of the year. After tonights rain in some places im betting its going to be mud in a lot of areas. Over here by rochester it didnt rain much at all really, so hopefully stony is good for a ride tomorrow because thats on my to-do list!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Island Lake, Milford, and the Tree Farm are ready to ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Has anyone tried the trails at bishop lake in brighton?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregdpw View Post
    Has anyone tried the trails at bishop lake in brighton?
    Murry Lake and Torn shirt are in mid season form. Some sections are a bit more torn up than I remember them being last year, but certainly rideable. I haven't been on them yet today, so I'm not sure what yesterdays wind did but the DNR is usually pretty quick to clear downed trees/limbs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    How would that murry lake trail be for a first timer. I got a trek 4300 disc. I am very in shape and an avid runner. Thanks guys! I am looking forward to getting into the sport

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregdpw View Post
    How would that murry lake trail be for a first timer. I got a trek 4300 disc. I am very in shape and an avid runner. Thanks guys! I am looking forward to getting into the sport
    Murry Lake is the trail I learned on and it suited me well, it's still my favorite trail to this day (3 miles from home doesn't hurt). If I had it to do all over again I might have lapped the easier of the two trails at Island lake a couple of times first, just because it's a little easier and wider, but either way you should enjoy Murry Lake. The cool part about Murry Lk. is that there are plenty of short cuts that let you bail if you are having a bad day. Good luck! BTW, every one at Murry Lk. seems to be friendly and helpful, I can't say the same for Island Lk.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I just rode for the first time yesterday. I ended up going to island lake. I rode the blue trail. Like everyone was saying its pretty flat. There were a few climbs that gave me one heck of a leg workout. The last mile was pretty challenging. How is this time for my first run ever? Obvisly the fastest speed was a glitch haha. [IMG][/IMG]

mtbr member
    I thought you said this was your first ride? ha ha. That's impressive, good job!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    It was haha. I almost lost my balance a few times around those tight turns and in that sand. The last hill I was climbing at like 1 mph! :-). But at least I will know what to expect next time

Damn Fool
    Jul 2010
    Not bad! Keep it up and you'll be able to hang with the guys who do both loops in an hour!
    It's not about being better than others, it's about getting the best out of myself.