Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Torn shirt - Brighton - Review

Rode this morning at 8:30. Even after all of the rain the last few days the trail was not muddy - just damp.

I've never been here before but I should have known I was in trouble when I pulled into the trail head and was the only car there???????

Started off fine for the first 100 yards then.......WTF.....are you kidding me? And that is what I said for 4.5 out of the 5.5 (or whatever miles).

Now I am not a SWEET rider by any standard, and I ride full rigid, but this track was insane the climbs with the roots. Notice I said, WITH the roots. More than 50% of this trail is up hill without question, but the roots made the climbs unbearable - well for me anyway.

Then, every downhill section (which also included more roots) was nowhere near fast enough to keep momemtum. Almost every uphill started with a log section you needed to go over before heading uphill. Doesn't make much sense to me.

So, I guess if you are the shredder type, looking for a great workout (burned 900+ calories) head out to Brighton's Torn shirt. If you want to have fun - stick to Island Lake, or Milford.
    2013 Rocky Mountain Vertex 990 RSL
    2013 Rocky Mountain Altitude 730
    2013 Pipedream Sirius R853 - 650b

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Thanks for the review. I've been curious about this place after having only heard of it through the grapevine.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Torn shirt - Brighton - Review

Torn shirt is a pretty tough loop. The Murray lake loop is much more flowy.

mtbr member
    Every rider must ride Torn Shirt, Highland, Holdridge East, or something of similar ilk every now and again. Keeps one from getting soft.

It's not where you go for a fun ride. It's where you go when you want to be challenged.

mtbr member
    Thats's exactly why I posted my review. I don't want people thinking they are going to have a good time. However, if you want to push yourself and your equipment its a good place to go.

mtbr member
    Torn Shirt is a riot. Try Murray Lake loop if ts is not your thing.
    I don't think it's quite as hard as you're making it out to be. Maybe it's not what you were expecting, so you were thrown off? But to say you're not going to have fun here is exaggerating it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

mtbr member
    Yep. Its a riot if you like going slow. You're not going fast at Torn shirt. If you think you are, please post of video of all that fun you are having the next time you are out there.

mtbr member
    Not all trails are about speed. Torn Shirt is about light technical and climbing.
    Don't try Highland!
    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    This describes nearly every trail in Michigan.

mtbr member
    A couple different perspectives on Torn Shirt.
    I started MB'ing last and rode Torn Shirt with less than a dozen trail rides under my belt. And most of those were ILRA. It was a tough ride for sure with a couple crashes and 3-4 tip over's on the rooted uphills as I had just switched to clipless pedals. I didn't have "fun" on that ride. More of a survival thing lol. Figured I probably wouldn't ride it again. But, I've since been back 5 more times as I've gotten better. And always follow it with the Murray Lake loop. It's now become a challenge for me to clear it without touching the ground. Last time, only one hill with tall roots that I couldn't clear and had a slow tip-over. But I really enjoy riding it now for the challenge. One of the next few times I'm sure I'll ride it clean. When I do, I hope it holds the same fascination for me that it does now.

A piece of advice Zerort........if Torn Shirt wasn't your type of trail, DON'T go ride Grubers Grinder at Holdridge in Holly. I rode the whole trail (15.5 mi) Memorial weekend. It's Torn Shirt on steroids. I crashed 3 times and had 4 tip-overs (one of these years I'll figure out how to instantly de-clip) during the 2hr ride. Lots of pedal clipping boulders, off camber hill turns leading to very steep climbs, and virtually no higher speed cruise sections. But I had a ball and will probably ride it a couple times a year due to the challenge it offers.

Brett

mtbr member
    Brett,
    My review was primarily to explain to others, such as the second poster, Metalray what the trail is or isn't. Some people don't want to travel XX miles and find out the trail is something they weren't expecting.

Thanks to you and Thickfog for your advice on other trails. Both of you should write your own reviews of those.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    The first time I rode Torn Shirt it had snow on it - wasn't pretty. When spring hit I rode it and I was completely nauseous by the end of the ride. Now, with more experience and in better shape I do it like once a month. I mainly ride Murry though which is a good work out and fun at the same time.

squish, squish in da fish
    Dakota kid thanks for the comparison. Grubers is my home trail, I live minutes away. I guess I won't make a point to go out of my way to torn shirt.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    TS followed by Murray then TS again, that's my usual workout. And it's more fun when done on single speed. And this trail has a "very difficult" mark in the trail guide map. So it's a good thing to check mmba.org website for trail rating before going there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The RideR View Post
    TS followed by Murray then TS again, that's my usual workout. And it's more fun when done on single speed. And this trail has a "very difficult" mark in the trail guide map. So it's a good thing to check mmba.org website for trail rating before going there.
    There is always a hero in the bunch.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerort View Post
    There is always a hero in the bunch.
    Me? Oh no I'm not. Just was pointing out that trails have different difficulty ratings suitable for different fit/skill level that's all. Didn't want to sound cocky.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    What....?

Torn shirt is awesome! There's only about 2 miles worth and 5 or 6 climbs that are challenging, the rest is a flowy cruise. And those downhills - so fun!

I rode it a few weeks ago, and yeah, I got stuck going up some hills on roots. But that's just a fun challenge. I don't understand how a challenging trail translates into "no fun".

After torn shirt (at under 6 miles, it only takes around an hour or less), ride murray lake, for an easier and flowier jaunt through the woods. Both are so fun, best in combo.

mtbr member
    I disagree - downhills are not a flowy cruise. Well for me on all rigid that is. Maybe on a FS bike or you're confused with Island Lake.

Downhills at Tornshirt are rocks and more roots in addition to tight radius turns. Even on a FS, I'm not sure how this could possibly be "flowy"?. Rocks and roots are fine as is, but if they, in addition to the tight turns, slow your momentum going back up, I'm not quite sure how this is "fun". Challenging, yes. Not only that, but placing a log at the start of a hill climb is just dumb. This is the case on at least 3 or 4 climbs.

Also, like I said, if it trail is so sweet, why was the parking lot empty? Granted it was morning, but I've been to other trails in the morning and most likely I'm not the only rider there.

Just my review. If people want challenging - knock yourself out, but there are better trails i.e. (Highland) that are challenging and "flowy", and fun all in the same. Just my $.02

To Deezler and Thickfog - Why don't you write your own reviews with descriptions on why Torn shirt is so "awesome" and such a "riot".

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I disagree - downhills are not a flowy cruise. Well for me on all rigid that is. Maybe on a FS bike or you're confused with Island Lake.

Downhills at Tornshirt are rocks and more roots in addition to tight radius turns. Even on a FS, I'm not sure how this could possibly be "flowy"?. Rocks and roots are fine as is, but if they, in addition to the tight turns, slow your momentum going back up, I'm not quite sure how this is "fun". Challenging, yes. Not only that, but placing a log at the start of a hill climb is just dumb. This is the case on at least 3 or 4 climbs.

Also, like I said, if it trail is so sweet, why was the parking lot empty? Granted it was morning, but I've been to other trails in the morning and most likely I'm not the only rider there.

Just my review. If people want challenging - knock yourself out, but there are better trails i.e. (Highland) that are challenging and "flowy", and fun all in the same. Just my $.02

To Deezler and Thickfog - Why don't you write your own reviews with descriptions on why Torn shirt is so "awesome" and such a "riot".
    For some challenge = fun . There are really just 2 downhills that would not be "flowy", the rest is just fast and smooth, once you get to know the trail.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Sorry, not trying to challenge your definitions. But you should probably go try it again, I bet you'll have more fun. I certainly didn't mean the downhills were all flowy. Some are very sketch, it's true. But that's only 2% of the trail (IMO). The last 3 miles have no serious climbs or descents at all...

Yes, front suspension is seriously recommended. I've never ridden a full rigid around trails like this, but I suppose that would change my perception of it quite a bit too! haha.

Parking lot has always had a dozen cars or more when I've been there, maybe a timing thing?

Just as it is totally fair for you to post your opinion and review of the trail, it's fair for us to come and try to offer our (counter) opinion. Because it would be a shame if you scared people away from this excellent trail. I suppose you riding a full rigid and counting your calories burned should raise a flag of some kind; indeed this trail is not your type. My last trail ride actually was Island Lake, and I have a great time spinning in top gear (1x9) and averaging nearly twice the mph; but it's a very different type of MTB experience.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Brett,
    Some people don't want to travel XX miles and find out the trail is something they weren't expecting..
    Torn shirt is one of the few trails whose name describes it quite well. Expectations shouldn't be that it's "easy".

mtbr member
    How many people here would rate Potowatami harder than torn shirt?

mtbr member
    ^^ you think roots are bad at TS go to poto

Plus its twice as long

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Rode torn-shirt over the weekend for a charity ride...
    Had a blast! Ended up hiking back up a few of the down hills as we seemed to be the only ones there and lets face it, those are really the only fun parts of the trail

Pedal strike city.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by toot334455 View Post
    How many people here would rate Potowatami harder than torn shirt?
    Torn Shirt was way harder to me than Poto. Even tho Poto was longer... Torn Shirt had climbs with roots on everything . My arms were soo tired.. If it were as long as Highland I would rate it harder than Highland. I ride Highland the most since its so close to me.

Poto has been my favorite. The downhills were so much fun! The trails were marked pretty bad tho.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast