mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Tire Suggestions for Iceman?

Hello, I am coming in from New England for Iceman and looking for tire suggestions. Not sure on which bike I will bring, either a 26" Hardtail or my cross bike (breaks apart for easy and low cost travel). I am 155 lbs, easy on equipment and use tubes.

Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    schwalbe fat albert rear, and fat albert front, and i'd recommend the hardtail to be honest... Last year was pretty slushy in areas.. Really depends on the snow though

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    It will definitely depend on the weather and what wave you start in. Last year there was a couple inches of snow the night before and then it warmed up. the early waves had hard pack and some ice. the later waves had greasy mud. The year before and it was mid 60's and there had been some rain the week before so the trails were all very hard. If it warm and dry (it has been very dry all summer) than the sand will be deep in spots.

I have always wanted to test my time on a cross bike but never do. Although you do see some(very few), it is a MTB race and I would feel silly racing a bunch of MTB bikes on a cross bike. A cross bike would give you a faster time if the conditions are right.

To answer you questions about tires, again the weather will determine that. The trails are almost all hard pack with the occasional sand pits, some hills and very little technical stuff. I plan on running a 29er HT with Furious Freds 29 x 2.0 front and rear. If it looks to be a little slick I might put on a Racing Ralph 29 x 2.25 on the rear to help with the climbs. If it is like last year I will run Racing Ralphs 29 x 2.4 front and mountain king 29 x 2.4 rear. If Mother Nature gets real pissed and we have more than 3" of snow and the temps will stay below freezing than I have a pair of Mountain kings 29 x 2.4 with around 700 studs that I will run. I will leave in one of the early waves before the snow will get packed down much but I hope to #*!! that does not happen. You really don't have to lay the bike down on any corners so I do not worry about front tire grip Just rolling resistance.
    Are you a road biker that likes hills? Try this Michigan Mountain Mayhem.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I am going to run Maxxis Ikon EXO's 29 x 2.2. Ran Spec captains 2.2 front and 2.0 rear last year and it may have been overkill. The weather plays a big part but imo the biggest obstacle in this race is avoiding people that stop on the uphills thus killing your momentum and then dodging slower riders on the flat and downhill areas.

mtbr member
    I'm going to be doing the race for the 1st time here this year. I have heard it's rather sandy in spots, and a lot of 2 track. I'm running Geax Saguaro 29x2.35's front and rear. Too fat? I kinda feel the bigger contact patch will be advantageous in some spots. I've been running them on the bike all summer and they feel pretty solid on most terrain except greasy mud.
    -Eric
    Keeping the hardtail dream alive, one ride at a time.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by esundell90 View Post
    I'm going to be doing the race for the 1st time here this year. I have heard it's rather sandy in spots, and a lot of 2 track. I'm running Geax Saguaro 29x2.35's front and rear. Too fat? I kinda feel the bigger contact patch will be advantageous in some spots. I've been running them on the bike all summer and they feel pretty solid on most terrain except greasy mud.
    Tires will depend on conditions but most years it is dry. Tires will also depend on your ability and goal for the race. There are some sand pits most are less than 20 yards long and almost all of them are in the first half of the race. I did the race two years ago and ran 2.4 Racing Ralphs front and rear. They did help float over the sand. This year my skills are better and I want to be under 2 hours so I am going for rolling resistance as 85% of it is hard pack non technical stuff.

Here is a link of my race in 2009 Iceman 2009 passing with 4000 riders #1 on Vimeo if you check out my other videos you will find 4 other Iceman videos a total of almost 1/2 hour, about a quarter of the race. This will give you an idea of what to expect.
    Are you a road biker that likes hills? Try this Michigan Mountain Mayhem.

mtbr member
    Just a quick note... Michigan has an excellent dedicated Mountain Bike forum where you can find tons of good Iceman information:

MMBA • Search

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I rode a 'cross bike my first time in it, and did pretty well, but if were truly the best bike for the race, the pro's would be using them. The great tire debate rages on and on until the day of the race, but having raced it in every condition except deep snow,I think a tire that is round and holds air will suffice.

mtbr member

Tires for Iceman

First off, congrats on getting in the race. I have done five Icemans but stopped after my kids were born, hope to get back in next year. I have ridden on different tires every year. The last time I used Kenda Klimax Lites. Don't be too hung up on tires, there's going to be so many people ridding that trail that your main focus will be trying not to tangle with someone else and find the best place to pass. Have a great time and enjoy your race.
    What am I going to do with forty subscriptions to Vibe?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I'm doing Iceman for the fourth time...tire choice depends on weather (of course), skill and comfort level.

2006: Panaracer xc pro - overkill. Sucked the will to live from me.
    2008: Michelin xc dry2 - fast but no climbing ability.
    2010: Bontrager xr1 - very fast until I hit the ice/snow.
    2011: Racing Ralph - ?

Most decent technical riders would be well served to trade traction for rolling resistance, imo. The few sandy/slippery areas present a challenge to low traction tires but given that the majority of trail is hardpack, it's worth it.

Always a game-day decision but I think less is more for this race.

NMBP

Weather looks good

Looks like a high of 55 for the race. I am going to be running Ignitor front/ Crossmark rear on my Jet9. I really like this combo most of the time. This is my first time, so I hope it goes well!

mtbr member
    I've been using a Specialized Captain up front and a Sauserwind in the rear riding the course over the past couple of months. But, there's all kinds of tires that will work from Small Block 8s to Schwalbe.

The trail has got much higher traction with the recent rain and all the leaves getting mashed into the sand.

mtbr member
    Racing Ralph 29x2.25 front and rear set up tubeless last year....worked well. handled sand and snow very well.

NMBP
    Ignitor front/ Crossmark rear worked great for me. Well for my bike, I could have used a little help.

mtbr member
    My tires were the perfect choice. Nice and fast! Easy course, but kinda fun because you could ride it so fast!
    -Eric
    Keeping the hardtail dream alive, one ride at a time.