mtbr member

Sweedetown or Tech/Nara trails or Handcock

Well I'm going up to ho-town for LSPR here next weekend, after the rally is over I wanted to do some riding. Since I have to work that afternoon, I think I'll have enough time for one early morning ride. I wanted to do copper harbor, but time won't let me.

So out of the Tech/Nara trails, Sweedetown trails or Handcock trails, what would any of you guys suggest I ride? Looking for something fast, fun and flowing, but somewhat technical, I don't want any sallied out 2 track or easy riding. Never been to any of these places before. Suggestions?
    -Eric
    Keeping the hardtail dream alive, one ride at a time.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I hit Tech and Swede Town a couple of weeks ago. Both good.

Tech has a serious amount of trail and there are 3 well marked rides. There are maps at the trail head. We rode the techinical route (Red arrows) and the Aerobic route (orange arrows) and ended up with 20+ miles. The technical route had some flowy sections and then some built stuft with ride arounds as well as rock gardens, short steeps, a few jumps, and such. There was plenty of climbing with fun downs on the aerobic route. There are also plenty of trail we didn't hit too. Good fun

Swede has lots of tight-flowy single track and is faily well marked. Not much technical stuff that I know of, but very fun. Swede is a killer night ride (maybe harder to see with the leaves down now).

Steve

mtbr member
    thanks for the input! I'll likely be checking the tech trails out!
    -Eric

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

You will love the Tech Trails!

Hi,

Michigan Tech single-track trails are awesome. I live up here, so I get to ride them whenever I want. You can get a great workout in, cause most of the trails are on hilly terrain. There are lots of maps out on the trails so you won't get lost, and they are color coded as to ability.

If you can possibly find the time, give Churning Rapids a try, too. Drive out the Hancock Canal Rd about five miles and turn right onto Christianson Rd and drive up the gravel road to the small parking area at the top of the hill. The trails are great!

have fun,
    Bob

mtbr member
    Eric, How was the rally and your ride at tech??? We reside just a few blocks from tech trails but sad to say, we've retired from riding this year and reverted to just doing trail work. Oh well.
    Arly a tandem Nerd, Who rides them, loves them, so we sell them. superiortandems.com

mtbr member
    I didn't get a chance to hit the trails due to weather/time. I was so beat after working the rally, I just slept. I did go bird Hunting in the AM on Sunday tho, which was nice.
    -Eric