mtbr member

Good job! Stairway to Heaven, Copper Harbor video

Since we got a new camera with video capability this spring. We used it following some friends down the Stairway to Heaven board walk at Copper Harbor this past weekend. Sandy shot this video while holding the camera over Arly’s shoulder. Please let us know what you think of it. This is the 1st video we've ever posted anywhere so don’t expect much!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMQj-hZtC3E&&fmt=18

To check out the Copper Harbor trails simply go to their page which is http://www.copperharbortrails.org/
    Arly a tandem Nerd, Who rides them, loves them, so we sell them. superiortandems.com

lookin' for a hill
    nice vid... I still can't wait for my trip to the UP sometime this year! post some more trail shots so I can get excited!

mtbr member
    Thanks! We really can only take good photos in the fall or spring because the light eating tree canopy isn’t out and it’s about out now.. But if you go to MTBR’s photo gallery and search it using trail names, you can find a few more photos from the Keweenaw. Use the words Mi Tech, Churning Rapids, Maasto, Swedetown and of course Copper Harbor. When will you be up?? We might be able to give you a guided tour :-)
    Last edited by arly; 06-03-2009 at 09:53 AM.
    Arly a tandem Nerd, Who rides them, loves them, so we sell them. superiortandems.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Arly, are you lucky enought to live in Copper Harbor?

I live in Ishpeming but havent been home for months because of a consultation job near Chicago. I've honestly only been to CH to fill up my truck after a ski session at Bohemia. They should offer DH lift service there, lol.

I'd really like to bike CH, the trail system is rather extensive and anything west of Michigamme tends to be smoother than most of the stuff we have in marquette county.

mtbr member
    No, we reside in Ho town (see our profile). We’ve ridden some of the Marquette trails and I wouldn’t call the CH ones smoother. We have 4 trail systems in our area and they’re all quite different. We'd say that Copper Harbor is largely riding of the rocks.

When will we see you??? Ishpeming is just a hop and a skip away! Oh yes, your in the windy city.

Quote Originally Posted by BeakJones
    Arly, are you lucky enought to live in Copper Harbor?

I live in Ishpeming but havent been home for months because of a consultation job near Chicago. I've honestly only been to CH to fill up my truck after a ski session at Bohemia. They should offer DH lift service there, lol.

I'd really like to bike CH, the trail system is rather extensive and anything west of Michigamme tends to be smoother than most of the stuff we have in marquette county.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Yea, i'm still stuck in Chicago for a few more weeks. I'll probably be up for when marquette mountain opens the downhill lift service. They also have the south loop and other various trails out by MM which are smooth and very nice. My "normal" ride is just in the double track stuff right behind my house in Ishpeming; not nearly as smooth as it's mostly the powersports guys using it. I may by chance see you out there someday, I'll be the goofy grinning guy on a red/white spec rockhopper full suspension.

lookin' for a hill
    Imagine that, I'm from Chicago, too!
    anyway, Arly, I probably won't be coming up until later in the season. Afterall, it's bike season, and it is hard to get away from the shop long enough. the drive would be quite long for a quick turn around so I was hoping to take a few days and camp while riding the CH and marquette trails. I will defeintely let you know when the plans take shape. would love to take the fast line to the good trails.

mtbr member

a short sailors ride today

Life is too short to wait around for the best time to ride whatever trail. We’ve had a buoy tender here in town for the past few days and today I stopped by it to snap a few photos. While there I spied some sailors off it and got to chat with them for a few minutes. Found out they were cyclists and been dabbing a few trails here and they we’re looking for more. So this afternon myself and a riding buddy took them for quick ride around Churning Rapids. Gee we had fun. Just our way of showing them some appreciation for their part of protecting the coastal waters. Or least for changing out the buoys!

Let us know when you guys might be in the area!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by arly; 06-05-2009 at 08:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Heading UP

This northern Wisboy, who has recently moved back from Santa Fe NM, is doin' nothin but riding and camping and I have heard good things about Copper Harbor, Marquette, and Houghton lake area. Can someone give me some trailhead details as well as camping options in nearby locations. I am pretty primitive when it comes to camping. Just my truck, gear, one man packing tent, and food. Anyone interested in meeting up in the UP. I am a good cook. Will be heading into the area around July 6th. Thanx much and look forward to ripping up your trails.....I mean having FUN riding your trails!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    There are group rides in the houghton area on monday nights, tuesday nights, and wednesday nights, then in copper harbor on thursday nights. Here's a link to the keweenaw trekkers calandar http://www.google.com/calendar/embed...erica/New_York You might find someone on the rides who will let you camp in their back yard.
    Rich