mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Southerner looking for UP vacation help

Hi, I'm waaaay down in Georgia and I am trying to wrap my head around where and how to plan a summer vacation with my wife, 5 year old son and 1 year old daughter in the UP this year.

Basically I'm trying to find a place that splits the difference between really good riding and running, stuff for the kids to do (beaches?) and affordability. No Rockefeller here, friends.

So where should I start?

GB
    "Bikes aren't fast--people are fast. Bikes are overpriced. It's an important distinction."---BikeSnob NYC

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I tell you what Copper harbor is the best riding I have done in MI, and it is absolutely beautiful up there!!!! I would recommend it to anyone!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I second the recommendation to stay in Copper Harbor. Cabins and local hotels are all very affordable. Water access right across the street and the best riding I've ever experienced. The locals are a very friendly bunch and really make you feel like they appreciate the business and are glad your there.

Jason

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Another vote for Copper Harbor. Had a blast riding there this year. I wrote a piece about the trip and riding for XXC Magazine #14. You can check it out here: eMag :

Lots of great trails, roads, ATV trails, dirt roads, technical stuff and more. Just a cool, friendly little place to ride and hang out. Go! Have fun!
    Former XXC Mag publisher (re)turned amateur bike blogger at The Soiled Chamois.

DBs
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Are you driving up? If so, that is a LONG drive! Didn't check the milage, but man, good luck w/ the 5 year old....(been there, done that...)...on suggestions-never been to CH, but its on my hit list too, and have seen many other glowing reviews of the area..another good area is Marquette, which is on the way to CH from the bridge, but a couple hours sooner-very cool town in the summer-Mqt Mountain has 4 great loops...if you are looking for other family fun stuff, Presque Isle park, right in town, is beautiful, with some really cool hiking-can even take a plunge off a ~35' cliff into ice cold, crystal clear Lake Superior-must do if you get there..Also-if you drive up, once across the Mac bridge, going west on route 2, there are many places along Lake Michigan to just park along the road and hit the beach-good spot to..same west of Munising on Lk Superior, in Augrey (sp?)..which has nice trail, Bruno's Run, just south of it..

Sorry for the long post...UP in the summer is simply awesome-have fun!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for the advice, all. I appreciate it.

GB
    "Bikes aren't fast--people are fast. Bikes are overpriced. It's an important distinction."---BikeSnob NYC

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DBs View Post
    ...there are many places along Lake Michigan to just park along the road and hit the beach-good spot to..same west of Munising on Lk Superior, in Augrey (sp?)..
    I bet you're thinking of Au Train beach. Nice beach. Au Train river runs through it. River is warm. Lake is cold. You can swim in either.

which has nice trail, Bruno's Run, just south of it..
    Bruno's is maybe 12 miles south of Wetmore. Wetmore is just a couple miles eastish of Munising.

I haven't been to Copper Harbor in close to a decade. Next time I go, i want to find this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keweena...et_launch_site)

I hear there is not much left to see, but how cool is it that the site even existed? Way cool.

mtbr member

Marquette covers all your bases.

Quote Originally Posted by GrantB View Post
    Hi, I'm waaaay down in Georgia and I am trying to wrap my head around where and how to plan a summer vacation with my wife, 5 year old son and 1 year old daughter in the UP this year.

Basically I'm trying to find a place that splits the difference between really good riding and running, stuff for the kids to do (beaches?) and affordability. No Rockefeller here, friends.

So where should I start?

GB
    Really...Copper Harbor is nice. But remote. Great if that is what you want. I like to go there and ride...

Marquette offers the whole package that you ask about. Stuff for kids to do. Stuff for the family. In town stuff. Woods stuff. Beach stuff. Riding is incredbile and very well-marked. You can ride techy stuff, you can ride smooth stuff. ALL from town. Tourist Park is in town and is great for camping. Paved bike paths lead anywhere you'd like to go. AND...Marquette is closer.

mqtcty.org is the city website...I think.

mtbr member
    I'll vouch for marquette having more for everyone to do, because, well, I live there. The trails are a hoot, and next to Copper Harbor, there isn't too much better you can do for riding in the UP. There are also some fun trails in the Houghton/Hancock.

Marquette also has two real fun areas to ride. You can ride the South trails, which are more technical and better marked.

There are also tons of trails north of town off of the North Country trail and near Harlow Lake. Not quite as techy in some parts, but the views and rides along the lake shore simply make it worth the trip. I would recommend getting someone who knows the trails if you're going to go north of town. If ya want PM me sometime and let me know when you're around, I'd gladly show you around up there.
    -Eric
    Keeping the hardtail dream alive, one ride at a time.

mtbr member
    We reside in Houghton and of course ride Swedetown in Calumet, Maasto Hiihto/Churning Rapids in Hancock, Tech trails in Houghton which are just a few blocks from our abode. In the immediate area, MI Tech trails have become our favorite ones. Each of these systems are quite different from each other and as others have mentioned, Copper Harbor is the most exciting of them all. CH is an hour from here so we only get there on certain weekends. Not really sure what you looking for, but if you need a fast food joints, CH is not the place to be. But if you’d like to get away from cell phone converge and Taco Johns, then CH is the spot to be at. Don’t look for an expensive motel with a water slide in CH either, just nice ma and pa places that are clean and reasonably priced.

Our area is called the Keweenaw Peninsula, so we have Lake Superior all around us. There are lots of nice public beaches and campgrounds. There are many trails for running, not only the MTB trails but nature conservancy areas with rugged hiking trails (no biking allowed, these trails are generally not ride-able either). I guess we'd suggest staying in the Hancock, Houghton area and you're still reasonably close to CH and among these other systems.

Hope that helps. Feel free to PM us for more specific info.
    Arly a tandem Nerd, Who rides them, loves them, so we sell them. superiortandems.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    You could check out the Swede Town Trails in Calumet.