mtbr member
    May 2011

Southeast Michiganders, help with tire choices please

Ok, a little quick background. I am new to mountain biking and its mostly a family thing, no racing or overly aggressive stuff. So far our trail experience is at Stony Creek, but I hope to get out and sample some other trails as well. I ride a Diamondback Overdrive which came with WTB Prowler SL tires and my son has a Windsor Cliff 4900 which came with WTB Velociraptors. We do do some riding around town, my son moreso than myself unfortunately, and I know this is not ideal for the knobby tires. The Velociraptors aew only $20 each, so wearing them out isn't so bad, but my Prowlers are about $50 so that bothers me a little more.

Anyways, purely as trail tires are these well suited to Michigan trails? Is there a more affordable option for my 29er that would perform well on our trails and not hurt so bad when I wear it out on cement? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I know a second set of wheels with semi slicks would be ideal, but a bit expensive for the current budget.
    Quote Originally Posted by STT GUY View Post
    Screw the search function... you're new, ask the question(s). If anyone gets thier undies in a bunch it's thier problem.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Last edited by Crash Test Dumby; 07-06-2011 at 08:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by STT GUY View Post
    Screw the search function... you're new, ask the question(s). If anyone gets thier undies in a bunch it's thier problem.

DynoDon
    Rocket Rons are the best I've found, but not for road riding, I can't imagine one tire doing both well, it would be one or the other, with our hard pack, sand, rock, roots a hard tire just wouldn't work.
    Why not just change tires when you want to road ride, or better yet have your son do the changes.
    Good Luck
    Four wheels transport the body,

Two wheels transport the soul !!!!