mtbr member

So... What are you wearing?

Now that the weather is getting cooler, what are you wearing to ride? I commute to work some days. I'm trying to hit some trails on the weekends too. I have a tendency to over-dress (cargo pants, long sleeve shirts, sweatshirts) and have yet to get "proper" riding wear. Maybe you could give me some ideas on what to wear and where to get it.
    2013 Specialized Hardrock Sport 29er

mtbr member
    When the temps get into the 50's, though I'm still wearing shorts, I'll wear long sleeve shirts like under armour or REI. They wick the sweat away and you don't overheat once you're warmed up on the ride. As the temps get into the 40's, I'll put on a pair of under armour long john type tights. These will go between my padded liner and outer short's shell. When the temps drop into the 30's, I'll add a shell jacket and gloves with Gore windstopper like my Outdoor Research or Gore jacket. They both have plenty of vent zips to let out the excess heat when needed. I also wear a light earmuff style headband beneath my helmet and a warmer pair of thermal socks.

Haven't ridden in the 20's yet, but that will change this year. I'm building up a Surley Moonlander for winter riding. So I plan on adding bar-mitts and some sort of insulated foot bootie. Probably add a T-shirt beneath my long sleeve and heavier tights for my legs.

The key is to wear vented layers, so as you heat up you can either shed layers or open up vents. And I always wear my Osprey hydration pack to carry the clothes I shed.

Kid

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I ride everyday. I find shell jacket and pants to be the most versatile and I layer appropriately underneath.
    I also really like my Lake MXZ301 winter riding shoes. I hate getting my feet wet, so I actually use these a lot more than just winter.

mtbr member
    Thanks to everyone for all the help. That definitely puts me in the right direction for clothes this fall/winter.
    2013 Specialized Hardrock Sport 29er

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I dual purpose a lot of old ski gear. The hardest part is just getting out the door. Most of the time it's pretty nice. This morning was marginal, 40f and rain. But once you get out, you're glad you did.