mtbr member
    Marquette is my fav

Black Sheep rising
    Let the market decide!

N42.58 W83.06

mtbr member
    Aug 2003

~100 miles of singletrack

The Keweenaw now has almost 100 miles of signed, mostly purpose-built mtn bike trails within a 45 mile drive including: Michigan Tech, Churning Rapids, Swedetown and Copper Harbor.

jalopy jockey
    Jun 2007
    Tis a BIG state. I went to school over 10 hrs away and was still in the state, and that wasn't quite corner to corner abot an hour to the end on both ends. You could potentially get to North Carolina faster.

That said the UP would be hard to beat in michigan.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Tons of great stuff. It's a big state. Northwest lower peninsula has some great stuff around Petoskey/ Boyne. Boune Mountain, Boyne Highlands, Avalanch park, North Country Trail, Shinglemill Pathway, High Country Trail, etc.

The UP also has some great stull. Heading to Copper Harbor and Marquette next weekend.

PROD1

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I live in Marquette and the trails are great. I have also rode the 4 Keweenaw trail networks and agree that they are worthy. But don't leave Ishpeming out of the debate. They are a lot of fun and they are building trails all the time. Why say one is better than the rest?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Hi Palo,

The best is a hard call, anywhere. I do not know the riding in the UP very well, you have any "do not miss rides"? We'll most likely drive to Lance the first night, Wednesday, and poch a camp site, then head to Copper Harbor and work our way home over 5 days. It looks like there is a race in Copper Harbor on Saturday and we want to be clear of that.

Prod1.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Hey PROD1

If your headed up Wed., you should try and hit the Wed night ride in Ispheming. Ride starts at 6:30 sharp so be there a little early. These trails are not mapped and this is the best way to ride em. The ride ends around 9:00 and you could be at Van Riper State park in about a half hour to camp. All this is right on the way and an hour sooner then Lance

There is an A and B ride. The A group is what you want. Usually between 20 and 30 riders show up. There will be a lot of climbing and some steep downs and some tech spots. The group is fairly casual with the front guys making all the climbs and tech while the back of the pack does a little more walkin. Just explain your visiting and you won't get dropped.

Turn right off of 41 the drive before you hit the golden arches. About a block in you will see Jasper Ridge Brewery (they usually stop here after the ride). Ther will be bikers in the parking lot. You can't miss it.

SB

mtbr member
    Aug 2003

Keweenaw

There's a group ride in Copper Harbor on Thursday night - 6:30 pm. Check with the Keweenaw Adventure Company for start location.

I wouldn't necessarily stay away from CH for this weekend. The race is actually not until Sunday at 2p.m. and includes music and food in the park until dark afterwards. It's a great venue and atmosphere that is uniquely Copper Harbor.

You can't go wrong if you hit up any of the 4 systems in the Keweenaw. Michigan Tech (just explore), Churning Rapids (favorites - Pow Pow, VillaMaki, Great Oaks, Finney Creek), Swedetown (start at the trail head and just keep following singletrack) or Copper Harbor.

Have fun.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I agree, I would ride the Ishpeming Ride Wednesday. Copper Harbor Thursday. Swedetown, Churnng Rapids or Tech on Friday & Saturday. Marquette south trails on Sunday. What a weekend that would be. I would squeeze in as much of these trails as possible.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    It is looking like the Ishpaming ride is out doe to the fact that I will not be up there until 10ish, but I am planning on the Copper Harbor ride Thursday night.

Friday we will most likely climb all day at cliff rd, then ride on Saturday. Of the other 3 areas in the peninsula, Swedetown, Churnng Rapids or Tech, which ones woulds you recommend. Any beta on starting places or loops to do would be appriciated. Anywhere to get a map?

Climb on Sunday, then ride somewhere in Marquette on Monday, and recomendations there?

This fourm is like crack!

Prod1.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Thats a tough call for houghton area riding.
    Signage and maps on the trail: Tech is best - Sweedtown is OK, you can get a map
    Hills: Sweedtown is flattest - Churning rapids is hillyest,but tech is close
    roots and rocks: Churning rapids has the most - Tech the least
    Crowded trails: you won't find them

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    South Trails in Marquette. Blue Loop, Gorgeous, Red Loop and if you still have legs, Yellow Loop.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    And if you still have legs after the Yellow Loop, Hit Bruno's run o the way home.
    Just the other side of Munisung about 10 miles south on H13 there is a turn out on the right. If your lucky, there will be maps at the trail head. This is a good fun loop.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Wow,

What a great area. We rode Copper Harbor Friday, Climbed at Cliff Drive on Sat, Rode M Tech trails Sunday, then again at Copper Harbor on Monday. Lots more to explore up there this fall.

Thanks for all of the advice.

Prod1.