mtbr member
    Apr 2008

single speed gearing for the iceman

was wondering what people would recommend for single speed gearing for the iceman.
    i ride a 29er

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    The course isn't too climby. I ride a geared Gary Fisher Superfly and have no problem riding the whole thing 2/5.

Prod.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by PROD1
    The course isn't too climby. I ride a geared Gary Fisher Superfly and have no problem riding the whole thing 2/5.

Prod.
    2/5 your max speed would be about 7mph. 2/1 is a little better but I like a little more than that. I ran a 36/16 and it was good you might run a hill but the course is mostly flat and you can go in that gear. Good luck and have fun.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I don't ride a single speed so I can not help with gearing but I can describe the course. As others have stated mostly flat with lots of small rollers. There are 2-3 longer climbs that peak around 10-12 percent. There is one hill that hits 25% for a bit.

I will try to post a graph and data tomorrow.

Karma Vampire

Iceman SS Gearing

I have run 61.125 (29er with 34:16) gear inches for a few Iceman's. I was thinking of increasing it, but with 4000 total racers this year it will be difficult to keep momentum and climb.
    -edit to correct gear-inch - oops!
    Last edited by 29Again; 10-30-2009 at 05:26 AM.

mtbr member
    Do a search on the MMBA forum, this is asked every year and of course like everything on that forum it gets a lot of opinions.
    What am I going to do with forty subscriptions to Vibe?