mtbr member
    Aug 2003

Ride the Keweenaw/Copper Harbor IMBA Ride Center Dedication - May 25th-27th

Head up to the Keweenaw on May 25th-27th for a weekend of Fat Tires, Friends, Food and Fun...Ride the Keweenaw 2012. Things kick of Friday night with a gathering at the Keweenaw Brewing Company in downtown Houghton. Saturday is a day of riding with guided rides at Michigan Tech Trails, Churning Rapids Trails and Swedetown Trails. Saturday also features a Jumping Clinic/Demonstration at the Michigan Tech Trails with Trek Pro Andrew Shandro and IMBA's Tammy Donahue. On Saturday evening folks will gather up in the Harbor for Music at the Mariner. Sunday is all Copper Harbor with guided rides, women only rides, discounted $10 shuttles, jumping exhibition with the pros on the Flying Squirrel Trail and topped off with the newly named Copper Harbor Ride Center dedication. Sunday evening we will have a party in the Copper Harbor park with music by Raven Congress and a BBQ. Keep up to date on the event by 'liking' us on Facebook: Ride the Keweenaw | Facebook

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Man I wish I could make this.

mtbr member
    Holy crap! SO in. I know what I'm now doing that weekend! I haven't been to CH since late October of last year, and I'm itching to go back!

I'd also like to ride the tech trails as I haven't done so yet. Its on my list.
    -Eric
    Keeping the hardtail dream alive, one ride at a time.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by esundell90 View Post
    I haven't been to CH since late October of last year,
    1st world problem

I might try to convince someone to go, as this sounds like a pretty good time...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BeakJones View Post
    1st world problem
    I'm ok with that.
    -Eric

mtbr member

complet weekend details

This note came across a locale list yesterday. Hope we see some of you characters here! We reside about 1/2 a mile for tech trails if anyien cares to stay with us. The trail mutt has also updated her blog including some ride photos. The Trail Mutt Reports

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Time to start planning your weekends and there's no better way to get out on the trails that the 3rd annual Ride the Keweenaw. Events start
    Friday, May 25th and continue through Sunday evening. The Ride the
    Keweenaw will showcase four great trail systems with guided rides throughout the weekend and also will feature the grand opening of the Copper Harbor IMBA Ride Center. We are excited to have Pro riders Andrew Shandro and Tammy Donahue joining us for a jumping clinic at the Michigan Tech Trails on Saturday, a women's clinic on Sunday and a freeride exhibition on Flying Squirrel Trail in Copper Harbor.

Sunday of Ride the Keweenaw is the Ride Center Party in the Park fundraiser. For $25 you can get some good food, listen to some great music and contribute to the trails. Please help us plan for attendance by registering for Sunday evening. Simply click here:
    https://www.imba.com/civicrm/event/info?reset=1&id=219 add your email and the number of people you're bringing to the party!

Make sure to read on for the complete weekend schedule and plan to join us for one, two or all of the weekend's events! Bring your friends, family and riding legs for a fun weekend of trails, food, good times, music and pro-riders..

Friday, May 25

8:00 pm – Mountain Bike Social at Keweenaw Brewing Co., downtown Houghton

Saturday, May 26

9 am – Guided group ride at Michigan Tech Trails (post-ride food at trailhead)
    10 am – Jumping clinic/demo – Michigan Tech Trails – Andrew Shandro and Tammy Donohugh Noon – Guided group ride at Churning Rapids Trails, Hancock (post-ride
    refreshments)
    3 pm – Guided group ride at Swedetown Trails, Calumet (post-ride grill-out at Swedetown)
    9 pm – Social gathering/music – Mariner North in Copper Harbor

Sunday, May 27

10 am – 4 pm – Demo Day in Copper Harbor Park
    10 am – Women’s MTB skill clinic and ride, Copper Harbor
    10 am – Group rides at Copper Harbor trail, Copper Harbor Park Noon – 5 pm – Discounted shuttles up Brockway Mtn ($10 – Keweenaw Adventure Co., Copper Harbor
    1 pm – IMBA Ride Center dedication – Top of Flow Trail on Brockway Mtn.
    1:30 pm – Flying Squirrel Freeride Demo – Andrew Shandro and Tammy Donahugh
    7 pm – Party in the Park (BBQ, beverages and music) – Copper Harbor Park

www.facebook.com/RidetheKeweenaw
    www.copperharbortrails.org
    Keweenaw Trails | Outdoor adventures in Michigan's Keweenaw Peninsula
    Arly a tandem Nerd, Who rides them, loves them, so we sell them. superiortandems.com

mtbr member
    If the weather is nice enough, I'd like to camp somewhere, maybe up in Copper harbor.
    -Eric

mtbr member

CH photos

The below photos were taken on Copper Harbor trails which IMBA designated as a Bronze Ride Center this past fall.. There are only 6 of these in the states. (or is it the world??)

Copper Harbor (MI) Bronze-level | International Mountain Bicycling Association

If any of you reside in lower Michigan, Wisconsin or Minnesota. You are well within a easy drive to come up and see these trails for yourself.

And Gromit invites you to stay with us.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ride the Keweenaw/Copper Harbor IMBA Ride Center Dedication - May 25th-27th-copper-h-view-spring-09.i-dl-.jpg  

Ride the Keweenaw/Copper Harbor IMBA Ride Center Dedication - May 25th-27th-ch-woopidy-woo-dl-.jpg  

Ride the Keweenaw/Copper Harbor IMBA Ride Center Dedication - May 25th-27th-ch-cliffs-bridges-dl-.jpg  

Last edited by arly; 04-28-2012 at 07:11 AM.
    Arly a tandem Nerd, Who rides them, loves them, so we sell them. superiortandems.com

mtbr member
    We got up to Copper Harbor for the 1st time this year and had a GREAT little ride up there. Would anyone care to see photos we took there?? I could post them here or Gromit did add them to her blog from that. Whatever the case, let me know.

The adventure dogs blog. The Trail Mutt Reports

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Aww man, that looks so awesome, I wish I knew how awesomely CH has progressed since I graduated. Colorado is great but too many people, too many regulated trails. Live it up if you have the chance sounds like a good time!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Arly...thx for the pix and blog. Great Copper country fix...my favorite place bar-none.
    whatever...

mtbr member
    Thanks guys,,, you are too kind. The fellows up at Copper Harbor just completed a dirt jump track called the Flying Squirrel And they uploaded a video of riders trying it out on their site

www.copperharbortrails.org

Hope we see you here!

mtbr member
    I'm not brave enough for DJ, but it looks fun anyway!
    -Eric

mtbr member
    on a side note, getting super stoked for this event. Can't hardly wait.
    -Eric

mtbr member
    Cool! And who else will we see?? BreakJones?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I'm a new here just trying to get my first posts... but we'll be up at the cabin and a ride over that weekend is in order.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    My buddy backed out for the said weekend, and I am not going to come that far alone so it looks like Jun8-10, or 1-3... still up in the air.

mtbr member
    I think what I may do is drive all the way up on Sunday AM from Marquette, ride copper all day with everyone, camp up there that night, maybe do some more in the AM, or try houghton on the way home? Not sure...
    -Eric

mtbr member

weekend ride photos

Hope we see ya Eric!! Are you looking to ride with someone at Tech trails?? I might be able to....

This weekend we headed up to CH to get away from this horrid heat and got to ride some new trails (reroutes really). Below is a couple photos. Many more can be had at the dogs blog.

The Trail Mutt Reports
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ride the Keweenaw/Copper Harbor IMBA Ride Center Dedication - May 25th-27th-garden-brook.brook-dl-.jpg  

Ride the Keweenaw/Copper Harbor IMBA Ride Center Dedication - May 25th-27th-garden-brook.swtich.-dl-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I have logged hundreds of miles on snowmobiles up there, need to get up there with the mountain bike, the pictures show why my ancestors settled there from Finland!

mtbr member

why not??

Quote Originally Posted by Bwiin View Post
    I have logged hundreds of miles on snowmobiles up there, need to get up there with the mountain bike, the pictures show why my ancestors settled there from Finland!
    Huuummm I'd guess your relatives moved here because they already had friends and/or relatives here,,, and of course there was work to be had.

Gromit wonders why she hasn't see you here and riding with us??

LCW
    mtbr member
    I just got back from this amazing weekend - the folks putting on the Ride the Keweenaw event did a great job! The trails up there are beyond words. Terrain is so good! Very glad I finally got up there to ride. Got to meet Shandro which was icing on the cake.
    2011 Yeti 575 - Fox Float 36 RC2 160 / Fox Float X - 31.9 lbs

mtbr member

weekend ride photos

Glad you had a good time. We had GRAND time meeting folks, riding and so did the trail mutt. If you attended the BBQ and seen a black mutt chasing sticks,,, it was her. Below is a few photos we took over the weekend..

Top photo is Tammy Donahugh giving jump track instructions at Tech trails.

Next is the view on top of Brockway towards The Edge trail.

The last 2 are Gromit checking out some trail features on the Flying Squirrel.

More can be found on the adventure dogs blog. The Trail Mutt Reports
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ride the Keweenaw/Copper Harbor IMBA Ride Center Dedication - May 25th-27th-ride-kewe-tech-jump-training-dl-.jpg  

Ride the Keweenaw/Copper Harbor IMBA Ride Center Dedication - May 25th-27th-ch-weather.-dl-.jpg  

Ride the Keweenaw/Copper Harbor IMBA Ride Center Dedication - May 25th-27th-ch-jump-feature.b-dl-.jpg  

Ride the Keweenaw/Copper Harbor IMBA Ride Center Dedication - May 25th-27th-ch-jump-feature-dl-.jpg  

mtbr member
    I sadly was unable to come last minute due to work

But I do have time off planned for the weekend of the Chain drive. Gonna race that, then head up to CH for a day or two after that. If you're around Arly, I'd like to go riding!
    -Eric