Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Good job! Ride da Keweenaw?

If any of you characters get up to ride around our neck of the woods, please let us know how you find the trails or what you think of them. Good or bad. The trails here would be Churning Rapids Hancock, Michigan Tech in Houghton, Swedetown at Calumet. Plus of course Copper Harbor which is just a tad northeast from here. And let me add that all of these systems are different from each other,, and none we’d call poor rides. If you’re interested in a guided tour we “might” be able to do that. There are just a few one-way trails here, but some are certainly more fun to ride if going a particular direction. And that’s how we guide our friends down them. Below photos were taken here. Ya we're not photographers!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ride da Keweenaw?-copper-harbor-drew-sandy-ridge-trail-i-dl-.jpg  

Ride da Keweenaw?-ch-trails-dancing-bear-s-dl-.jpg  

Ride da Keweenaw?-st-trails-s-g-riding-dl-.jpg  

Ride da Keweenaw?-ch-red-trail-bridge-dl-.jpg  

Ride da Keweenaw?-masssto-st-creek-drew-dl-.jpg  

Arly a tandem Nerd, Who rides them, loves them, so we sell them. superiortandems.com

b a n n e d
    MOAR pictures, PLEASE! I grew up in Detroit and spent nearly every summer in the Houghton/Hancock and L'Anse/Aura area until I was like 15. Granted I wasn't riding back then, but I spent plenty of time in the woods. I now live in SoCal and truly miss spending time in da U.P. I really miss the pasties

I am still convinced to this day that the Northern Michigan Superior shore line is the best in the country.

b a n n e d
    Oooh and the THIMBLEBERRIES!!! My mom still sends me a jar of thimbleberry jam from the Monks every Christmas!

mtbr member
    I fell in love with Copper Harbor. I was sad that when I went it was so wet and I couldn't push as hard as I would have liked. The hancock trails were nice too. When I rode it my bike was still fully rigid and I found it to be a bit rocky for that bike, but if I had some squish it would have been a bit more fun.

I haven't gotten on the tech trails with a bike ever or sweedetown.

And must I say, you guys are nuts for doing it on a tandem! That can't be easy! props!

pics of me biking the keewenaw

-Eric
    Keeping the hardtail dream alive, one ride at a time.

mtbr member
    @esundell, how is the ride fully rigid on those trails? Were there times when you really wished you had a suspension fork? Or is the terrain friendly to rigid bikes?

Nice photos too, everyone. I really must get up that way someday.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
    @esundell, how is the ride fully rigid on those trails? Were there times when you really wished you had a suspension fork? Or is the terrain friendly to rigid bikes?

Nice photos too, everyone. I really must get up that way someday.
    Ha, it was pretty brutal at some points, but honestly, if you have enough skill as a rider, its not the end of the world. You just can't ride things quite as hard as I would have liked personally since you tend to bounce off of rocks and roots and not always roll over them. Its tricky at times, but not impossible.

The bike does have one of these now:

2010 Reba Race 29, 80mm

and I'm hooked.
    -Eric

mtbr member

kewee photos

If you go into the photo section and search using the trail names, Churning Rapids, Maasto, Mi tech, Swedetown or Copper Harbor, you'll find a few.

Why don't you move to where you love the weather, water, forest or trails?? We moved here 15+ years ago to ride and ski. Life is to short to not live where you love.

Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    MOAR pictures, PLEASE! I grew up in Detroit and spent nearly every summer in the Houghton/Hancock and L'Anse/Aura area until I was like 15. Granted I wasn't riding back then, but I spent plenty of time in the woods. I now live in SoCal and truly miss spending time in da U.P. I really miss the pasties

I am still convinced to this day that the Northern Michigan Superior shore line is the best in the country.
    Arly a tandem Nerd, Who rides them, loves them, so we sell them. superiortandems.com

mtbr member
    Red Trail was rad.
    -Eric

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by arly View Post
    If any of you characters get up to ride around our neck of the woods, please let us know how you find the trails or what you think of them. Good or bad.
    hah... what's not to like?

I've biked a few times in copper harbor now. I stay at a family place in Ishpeming and usually ride trails (south trails, marquette) for a few days and then use the van shuttle at copper to really extend how much riding I can do during my visits. I have done most of the trails in the CH system, but not all of them. Red trail and Woopidy Woo are my favorites. Have not been there yet this year, probably will before September though.

b a n n e d
    Why don't you move to where you love the weather, water, forest or trails??
    Forest?

Water?

Trails?

Winter?

I hate winter/snow/ice/cold/gray . . . .

mtbr member

Ya snow

Ya we hate the snow and gray as well. But don't tell Gromit that! She's a snow dog. These were taken while XCing on bike trails.

Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    Forest?

Water?

Trails?

Winter?

I hate winter/snow/ice/cold/gray . . . .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ride da Keweenaw?-cr-basswood-s-g-ii-dl-.jpg  

Ride da Keweenaw?-gromits-bc-dl-.jpg  

Ride da Keweenaw?-ch-garden-brook-trail-gromit-dl-.jpg  

Last edited by arly; 07-09-2011 at 02:13 PM.

b a n n e d
    Yeah, we have a german wirehair pointer who definitely misses her uncanny ability to transform into the "abominable snow dog"

I don't think we would ever move to the UP permanently, however, my wife and I have discussed many times the idea of a summer home there.

mtbr member
    We've moved around a tad and decided that we just don't do very well in the heat. Maybe you don't enjoy skiing,,, but the snow and the XC conditions here is some of the best in the nation. We don't get ice. But if you don't like to XC,,,, then it a moot point. ( When will we see you up to ride with us????

Hope your summer is the very best!

mtbr member
    @esundell, that's a nice fork.

For some reason I'm not getting email updates to this thread. I wonder why that is.

Anyway, nice fork. Rebas have done ok by me.

Ironically, I'm mulling over making my next build a rigid 26er. Haven't fully made my mind up though, and lately I've been too busy rebuilding Huffys.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
    @esundell, that's a nice fork.

For some reason I'm not getting email updates to this thread. I wonder why that is.

Anyway, nice fork. Rebas have done ok by me.

Ironically, I'm mulling over making my next build a rigid 26er. Haven't fully made my mind up though, and lately I've been too busy rebuilding Huffys.

Thanks! I've been more than pleased with it. I initially wanted a Fox, but everyone I talked to said the Reba's were as good as any equivalent Fox fork for less $$. So far I'd have to say I agree. Nicest piece of suspension I've ever owned anyway.

The reason you aren't receiving e-mail notifications is probably because you don't have them turned on, or aren't subscribed to the thread.
    -Eric

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by esundell90 View Post
    Thanks! I've been more than pleased with it. I initially wanted a Fox, but everyone I talked to said the Reba's were as good as any equivalent Fox fork for less $$. So far I'd have to say I agree. Nicest piece of suspension I've ever owned anyway.
    I have one Fox RLC and two Rebas, all on 29ers. There are small things I can quibble about, but in the main they are both good choices. If money were no object, I'd buy Fox forks, but money is an object.

Fox does a much better job on the knobs. They are easier to turn, and it is easier to count the clicks. I hate it that the Reba rebound knob is stuffed up under that right fork leg where I can't reach it without having to stuff my fingers into that too small of a space. And the detents are practically non-existent on the Reba. OTOH, it's easy to grab the service manuals for a RockShox fork, and my experience is that they are fairly simple to take apart and service. As far as performance on the trail, they are both very good. I have no complaints against either in that department.

The reason you aren't receiving e-mail notifications is probably because you don't have them turned on, or aren't subscribed to the thread.
    That's the thing. I have notifications turned on, and I have my options set to subscribe me to any thread that I post in. Something's gone amiss though. I'm going to go and double-check my settings.

mtbr member
    I plan on getting a remote lockout knob for it soon.

But I've been real impressed with the quality too. The nicest fork I had before is an old Manatou
    -Eric

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Awesome trails in the Copper Country! I rode Tech, Churning rapids, Swede town, and the Harbor. I am really impressed with all the trail work done. I just rode the harbor yesterday, just about every trail and came away really impressed with the trail system and the work that has been done just in the past year. Great single track with beautiful views. Thanks to all that work on them, much appreciated!

mtbr member

any memorable?

Thanks,,, you are to kind. Of course I'll take any credit for them (not that I really can) What brought you up to our little peninsula?? Which trails were memorable???
    Last edited by arly; 07-20-2011 at 05:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thanks,,, you are to kind. Of course I'll take any credit for them (not that I really can) What brought you up to our little peninsula?? Which trails were memorable???
    I used to live up here. I come up during the summers to visit family and friends, oh the life of a teacher eh. I moved to the southwest 17 years ago and each year I come up the trail systems improve here. I really enjoyed the Red trail and the one that goes up and over Brockway mountain. It always amazes me how green it is up here in the summer and how beautiful scenery the UP has. Tech, Churning rapids, and Swedetown are awesome, but the Harbor gave me the most memorable ride. I used to take things for granted when I lived up here not really noticing the beauty until I was away for a while. Great trails and great work, thanks to all who are involved!

mtbr member
    The dearest and I have traveled, resided and ridden trails between here and the west coast. This gives us the perspective that most folks have to drive X miles to ski or find nice trails. Ya we're spoiled with 100+ miles of IMBA trails within 40 miles. We reside in Houghton where they start right in town. Will you be up this summer to visit us?? Hope so!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    A few pictures from Ishpeming, Michigan. Was up there this past weekend at the house we bought in college. Not quite copper harbor or even the keweenaw for that matter (maybe 2 hours max from the kee), but beautiful singletracks all over the place!

mtbr member
    I live so close to Ish, yet I've only been out on those trails twice. I should start going on the group rides at jasper ridge at 6:30 on wed. but it sucks not having a car to get out there after work and do it. I dont know those trails well enough at all to do on my own.
    -Eric

mtbr member

more photos, Churning Rapids, Swedetown

We just got a new bike, so we and the trail mutt have hit a few local trails. Top ones are Churning Rapids which are located right next to Hancock. Lower ones taken at Swedetown trails at Calumet MI. You may note the sweaty bodies and tongue fully extended for the heat we rode in. Of course, Gromit finds the streams cool and refreshing so we brake for water whenever possible.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ride da Keweenaw?-da-silver-bullet-cr-dl-.jpg  

Ride da Keweenaw?-da-silver-bullet-cr.i-dl-.jpg  

Ride da Keweenaw?-da-silver-bullet-cr-pow-pow-gromit-cools-dl-.jpg  

Ride da Keweenaw?-da-silver-bullet-cr-spring-creek-gromits-cools-dl-.jpg  

Ride da Keweenaw?-silver-bulllet-st-pines.i-dl-.jpg  

Ride da Keweenaw?-silver-bulllet-st-cable-connector.i-dl-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Will be riding the Keweenaw this weekend! Driving to my house in Ishpeming Thursday night and hitting some Marquette trails Friday so my riding partnet can be in Verizon service as he IS on call for his IT job. Plan on jumping off Black Rocks at Presque Isle to cool down of course! No diving this time.... buddy belly flopped in front of ~80 people last year.... it was epic.

ESundell - to be honest, I dont know the trails well either now that I dont live up there full time anymore, I just kinda keep riding and whereever I pop out, I figure out where I am haha. But I think we'll be hitting up South Trails this time. If you're out, look for me on the red/white spesh pictured above, will be with a buddy on a custom trek fuel.

Arly- We will be riding the van on Saturday and Sunday in our group of 6 so maybe I'll see you on the trails then.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast