mtbr member

Rentals and Maps Ann Arbor/Pinkney/Brighton Area

Hey. I grew up in SE Michigan but moved to Sedona, AZ about 10 years ago. I am returning this summer for a visit and want to get a ride in preferably near Pinkney or Brighton. Can anybody recommend a good shop that offers bike rentals or demos in the area? Also, I remember riding Island Lake and Potawatomi. Any other suggestions as to what would be a good ride? I'll probably only have one day to ride.

Thanks in advance!
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you値l crash.
    - Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Rock climbing, mountain biking information & equipment

Believe they have rentals, and are close by in Milford.

mtbr member
    Thanks, I'll try to get ahold of them.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you値l crash.
    - Julie Furtado

11 is one louder than 10
    If you only have 1 day to ride - either hit Poto, or drive up to highland rec area. Highland is outstanding and will be very different than AZ.

Drop me a PM and if I am around and on that side of the state I can show you some of the trails. I'm in sales and cover a good chunk of the state... usually have the bike with me.
    "The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren_ View Post
    Rock climbing, mountain biking information & equipment

Believe they have rentals, and are close by in Milford.
    Thanks for the lead. I contacted these guys and they seem to be able to help. They're the only ones in SE MI that I found that actually rents (a bit shocking as I work for a bike shop that rents a ton of bikes daily)!
    - Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Giant View Post
    If you only have 1 day to ride - either hit Poto, or drive up to highland rec area. Highland is outstanding and will be very different than AZ.

Drop me a PM and if I am around and on that side of the state I can show you some of the trails. I'm in sales and cover a good chunk of the state... usually have the bike with me.
    I grew up riding Poto. What's Highland like? I vaguely remember Pontiac Lake as having some decent trails but don't remember ever riding Highland...
    - Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Motor City Mountain Biking Association - Highland Recreation Area

Highland, poto, pontiac - all excellent choices if you can only sample a couple trails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren_ View Post
    Motor City Mountain Biking Association - Highland Recreation Area

Highland, poto, pontiac - all excellent choices if you can only sample a couple trails.
    It will probably be only one day to ride because my visit will be rather short. I'll probably just hit Highland being as the bike I can rent is in Milford...
    - Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    And Highland is only a couple miles away from the shop so you could ditch your car and ride right from there...

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    How come no around here seems to like Murry Lake trail ( torn shirt is a bit of a different animal ) that much ? No one ever seems to talk about riding it much. Don't get me wrong, I love poto, but right now i'm loving Murry as well.

Now, I haven't rode Highland yet so maybe I don't know what i'm missing with that one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sentient 6 View Post
    How come no around here seems to like Murry Lake trail ( torn shirt is a bit of a different animal ) that much ? No one ever seems to talk about riding it much. Don't get me wrong, I love poto, but right now i'm loving Murry as well.

Now, I haven't rode Highland yet so maybe I don't know what i'm missing with that one.
    Now things could have changed since I lived in the area about 10 years ago but Murray was a solid trail in my memory. In fact, I think if I can talk the wife into letting my nephew and I have a day to play, we'll be riding Murray and Torn Shirt while I am there. It's closer to their house so it will be easier to get to/from etc.

Please correct me if I am wrong but Torn Shirt was somewhat of an evil @$$ kicker and Murray was still tough but fun and fast?
    - Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by woahey View Post

Please correct me if I am wrong but Torn Shirt was somewhat of an evil @$$ kicker and Murray was still tough but fun and fast?
    Yeah, that pretty much sums it up.lol

Torn Shirt is a lot tighter with the switch backs. Down and up.

mtbr member
    May 2012

default title
    Mar 2008
    Bringing up a dead thread. Saw some mention online of Pinchney Village Cyclery near Poto having rentals but nothing specific on their website. Any input from locals? Contact Tree Fort Bikes?
    I'll have 1 day to ride near Ann Arbor before I head into the flatlands of NW Ohio. I'm coming from Santa Cruz if that helps point me in the direction of good trails.

Thanks for the good info in the thread so far. I had no idea there was elevation change in MI.
    "My opinions are often more offensive than my *******." - Twindaddy

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by kattrap View Post
    Bringing up a dead thread. Saw some mention online of Pinchney Village Cyclery near Poto having rentals but nothing specific on their website. Any input from locals? Contact Tree Fort Bikes?
    I'll have 1 day to ride near Ann Arbor before I head into the flatlands of NW Ohio. I'm coming from Santa Cruz if that helps point me in the direction of good trails.

Thanks for the good info in the thread so far. I had no idea there was elevation change in MI.
    I live in Pinckney....that shop is out of business.

default title
    Mar 2008
    Just an update for others that I contacted Tree Fort Bikes in Ypsilanti via their website ( Tree Fort Bikes - Online Bicycle Parts and Accessories, Bicycle Tools and Maintenance ) & got this response:
    "We have several bikes available for demo. We have a few niners, salsas, cannon dale, etc. Just give us a call when you're [in] town and we can arrange something."
    I also sent a similar contact email to wheels in motion (AA) with no response back.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    best trail in the area is probably the Potowatomi - 17 miles of rooty single track with a few good climbs, but very doable even on an SS. I ride it most weekends and don't get bored.

default title
    Mar 2008
    Just wanted to say thanks to the local MI riders that replied. Rented a Salsa fatbike from TFB (it's what they had in my size) and had a blast monster trucking it on the full Poto loop. "Don't get bored" seems like an excellent way to describe the trail. Up down over bridge sand in various combo keeps it interesting and the uphills were all manageable even on a strange bike (in so many ways). Well maintained and pretty well signed. Kudos to all and good luck getting more legal trail built in the area.

Next day I hit some trails around Ann Arbor. It looked like I was going the wrong way for maximum enjoyment on the loop I was trying to do (and maybe the wrong bike) but still had fun.

For other mtbr-not-locals that might catch this thread: also look to the mmba.org forum for conditions.