rock hard or hardrock

questions...need some help

hello all....havent really visited the michigan section yet then i started reading it and i have some questions.....

i live in the highland/milford area so....what are the highland rec. and kensington trails like?

i have a specialized hardrock (single speed for our DJ's and street) so if i pedaled/pushed my bike up how do you think it would do on the "going down" part?

and, i plan on upgrading to a transition bottlerocket frame when i get the money so...would a bottlerocket be overkill for these local trails?
    www.transitionbikes.com

"The journey of 1,000 miles begins with one step" -Bear Grylls

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Kensington MetroPark is basically a paved path, not much excitement there, however just across I-96 is Island Lake State Rec Area. Island Lake is generally considered a "beginner" trail without too many hills and technical features, but it isn't flat. Highland is more advanced with many more hills. If you have a hardrock, it should be able to handle everything you throw at it. While there is a freeride scene in MI, most people seem to lean towards more XC riding. That said, many people will tell you that your bottlerocket is overkill, but then again, those people might be running ridgid frames.

You might get a better answer or at least more info if you post up at MMBA.org. Most Michigan riders frequent that forum.

Hazzah!
    Dec 2003
    Pontiac Lake is about 10 minutes from Highland and would a much better trail for the bottlerocket ( I ride a 36lb 04 SX enduro by the way...)

mtbr member
    Bottlerocket is cool, but short of the Noth Shore type stuff in Marquette, I am just thinking it is way overkill for anything in SE MI, but hey, to each his own!