Thread: Pugsley Riding

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Pugsley Riding

Anyone here in MI do any extended beach rides on a pugsley? I am building one up and looking for ideas for the summer.

N+1

places to go?

I'd be interested in hearing where there are long stretches of rideable beach. Maybe the Lake Michigan coastline along the west side of the lower, or the south side of the upper? I've always wanted to do some of this kind of riding, but never found any long-distance destinations.
    GET Bret Weir, I said.

ride like you stole it
    Nov 2007
    can think of any beach to ride but I could imagine that either the silver lake or sleeping bear dunes would be fun.
    I lubed my disc brakes because they squeaked.
    Man was that fun to work out

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by leadhead
    Anyone here in MI do any extended beach rides on a pugsley? I am building one up and looking for ideas for the summer.
    Last August I rode my Wildfire Fatbike from Manistee harbor south for several miles during the sunset. Fantastic ride. Lake Michigan has several obstacles including some areas of private property. Holland, White River, Ludington, Manistee, Frankfort, and Pt. Betsie are all harbors you would also have to go around inland, so there's no continuos beach riding there. Manistee is pretty cool, nearby Big M Recreation area is very sandy and a total blast on a fatbike. You could also check out some of the NCT that's bike legal. I haven't taken the Fatbike out to Ludington yet, but that looks like some good riding too.

I'm not sure about some of the sand dunes - the sand on Manistee beaches I could only ride close to the water. The further in the beach I would sink even with Endomorphs. Lake Michigan has some really fine sand. Anyone know of suitable trails or dune access around Silver Lake? Would I need to put a large orange flag on my bike? I'm thinking some areas over there might require 100MM wide rims.

My suggestion is to head north to Lake Superior and camp at Grand Island. One of the best places in Michigan to ride a bike, even if you only do a day trip. I didn't have my Fatbike then, but I'm thinking there's a few beach opportunities there as well as a very scenic trail.